Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SUPERCHARGED GT vs SHELBY 500

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: SUPERCHARGED GT vs SHELBY 500

High 10's with 475rwhp in a heavy gt500, me thinks not. I would be suprised to see low 11's honestly.

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

GT500 is about 420 rwhp stock. Stock they are low 12 sec cars.

A simple pulley and a tune they are around 475-480 rwhp and will wipe the floor with a s/c GT, easily. They will be low 11's without a problem, maybe high 10's.

Pulley and tune will run less then $1,000. They are just very conservative from the factory. Ford doesnt want people breaking ****.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:04 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

High 10's with 475rwhp in a heavy gt500, me thinks not. I would be suprised to see low 11's honestly.

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

GT500 is about 420 rwhp stock. Stock they are low 12 sec cars.

A simple pulley and a tune they are around 475-480 rwhp and will wipe the floor with a s/c GT, easily. They will be low 11's without a problem, maybe high 10's.

Pulley and tune will run less then $1,000. They are just very conservative from the factory. Ford doesnt want people breaking ****.
One... ive seen it done.

Two... they are not that heavy...they have a larger motor..thats it. The hp outweighs the weight.

three... evolution got that one into the 9's with less than what....like $1,500 into it?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Tell him to bring the GT500 or the viper to the track against my car if he thinks GT's are slow...
Old 10-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Skunkworks
1st Gear Member

[/quote]

One... ive seen it done.

Two... they are not that heavy...they have a larger motor..thats it. The hp outweighs the weight.

three... evolution got that one into the 9's with less than what....like $1,500 into it?

[/quote]

The Evolution car has the 2.8L KB H, the big dog. They might be getting alot of parts comped, but for the average guy getting a GT500 in 9's is still going to cost some money. What's nice about the GT500 is you can do it without huge modifications to engine internals, as many of you have said. Pretty much the same deal with the 03'-04' Cobras, although some of the chevy guys love tohate; factory superchargers havedefinite advantages.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:52 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

I'm not going to go into details but don't believe everything you read.

That bama GT500 used a lot more money than you think to get into the 9's and also used N20 on top of a maxed out 2.8...

That car also saw more down time than it ever saw on a trailer.

I do agree though about HP compensating for weight. My car weighs 4093 lbs (it's a pig) and run's low 10's with 650 rwhp.

The truth is most of the fast cobra guys are not doing it with the factory s/c. The big advantage to the GT500 as pointed out is the fact you have a stout longblock to start with.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:32 AM
Whitemare

Can I get a Amen!
Old 10-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattblasi

OK so this question opens multiple debates as to who would or would not win and no one figures out everything but her is my 2 cents.

First I have a 409rwhp/410rwtrq turbocharged (turbonetics kit) 07 Mustang GT with stock block and stock automatic transmission. I have in the last 2 weeks beaten a srt10 viper, a viper gts coupe, a 04 cobra, 2 gt500s and my neighbors pretty yellow z06.

There are certain things to consider, who will hook first who weights what and who has not only the most power but the ability to use it.

Yes GT500s are front end heavy, this is a disadvantage to them stock and in road courses, however with alot less than what I spent on my turbokit I could have an extra 200+ rwhp in a gt500.

Vipers are great, I have driven every model ever made, but the one constant (and viper owners will admit this too) is that they suck for getting traction. This also hold true to the new Z06 vettes. While yes from a roll they would do better.

Now lets consider the idea of my car which mind you dose not loose boost while shifting and is quiet up until the last min when the wastegate opens, most people do not expect me to be as fast as I am on the road. Those who claim an automatic hurts them in a drag race should probably have the tune checked because it has done nothing but help me, although I will admit a manual is more fun on the road to bang through the gears.

Now to be perfectly clear the SRT and the z06 I raced were both froma dig, had it been a roll it would have been a bit closer, I raced 1 gt500 from a dig and one from a roll, the GTS coupe and 04 cobra were also from a roll.

Now beyond the car consider the driver, in a manual transmission he has to be at least decent at shifting and launching to be as good as the magazines all make out, so there is a possible advantage as well.

The who would win question just has too many variables, take it to a track and find out what could it hurt to loose.
I have to say you beat all those car because you are an automatic. No other way to explain it.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

it'll depend on the driver. he'll be driving a manual with no traction or stability control, so he better know what he's doing otherwise you'll wipe the track with him.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:53 PM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

Here is just my opinion from what I have seen at the track.
Vipers-huge traction issues for some reason, but from a roll look out. Best times I have seen are in the 11s but I have seen more high 12s then 11s.
GT500-takes very well to mods. Seen more 13s out of them then anything(most are first timers)but watched one with a intake/tune/pulley/lt and sticky tires(less$$$ thanus just getting F/I)hit 11.0x he got booted in a hurry.
GT-most of us know what to do to get this thing to be a monster(just read these forums if you dont know).
In the end doesn't matter how much your car weighs or how much horsepower or torque you have but who is driving and his/her capabilities.
To answer your question the winner will be who ever is a better driver.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:26 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bmr4life

ORIGINAL: mattblasi

OK so this question opens multiple debates as to who would or would not win and no one figures out everything but her is my 2 cents.

First I have a 409rwhp/410rwtrq turbocharged (turbonetics kit) 07 Mustang GT with stock block and stock automatic transmission. I have in the last 2 weeks beaten a srt10 viper, a viper gts coupe, a 04 cobra, 2 gt500s and my neighbors pretty yellow z06.

There are certain things to consider, who will hook first who weights what and who has not only the most power but the ability to use it.

Yes GT500s are front end heavy, this is a disadvantage to them stock and in road courses, however with alot less than what I spent on my turbokit I could have an extra 200+ rwhp in a gt500.

Vipers are great, I have driven every model ever made, but the one constant (and viper owners will admit this too) is that they suck for getting traction. This also hold true to the new Z06 vettes. While yes from a roll they would do better.

Now lets consider the idea of my car which mind you dose not loose boost while shifting and is quiet up until the last min when the wastegate opens, most people do not expect me to be as fast as I am on the road. Those who claim an automatic hurts them in a drag race should probably have the tune checked because it has done nothing but help me, although I will admit a manual is more fun on the road to bang through the gears.

Now to be perfectly clear the SRT and the z06 I raced were both froma dig, had it been a roll it would have been a bit closer, I raced 1 gt500 from a dig and one from a roll, the GTS coupe and 04 cobra were also from a roll.

Now beyond the car consider the driver, in a manual transmission he has to be at least decent at shifting and launching to be as good as the magazines all make out, so there is a possible advantage as well.

The who would win question just has too many variables, take it to a track and find out what could it hurt to loose.
I have to say you beat all those car because you are an automatic. No other way to explain it.

And yet i still get **** for being an automatic soo often

Quick Reply: SUPERCHARGED GT vs SHELBY 500