Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A/F o2 Sensor placement

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:14 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Default A/F o2 Sensor placement

Ok, I got an A/F wideband sensor and I got the bung. I also got a welder, woohoo new toy to play with.. I know I could have taken it to a shop, but this is a small project, and I have wanted to learn to weld for so long this is my opportunity. I have been using some old exhaust pipes to practice.

Anyways, where do I weld the bung on the exhaust? I have all stock exhaust, exceptt he axle backs. I know I put it in before the cats and postioined toward the top of the pipe. Do I put it on the header, or the portion between the cat and where it connects to the header? Hopefully the latter as that looks to be easier than getting to the header. Also what side is better to use, the driver side or the passenger side? And I have always wonder with this unrelated question, which side is considered bank 1 and bank 2?

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:31 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: A/F o2 Sensor placement

not sure where to place it but i
applaud your determination

keep a fire extinguisher handy
Old 10-26-2007, 07:39 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, yep have one of them. That is what I got this car for. To work with, I want to do as much as I can on my own. That is what is fun about owning this car.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:52 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

bank 1 is primary (closer to the engine). bank2 is secondary (usually after the catalytic convertor)

put the widband anywhere before the cats. preferably somewhere near the stock primary o2 sensor.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:00 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

So a wide band only shows you A/F ratio for one side of the engine right? What happens if the other side goes lean for some reason?[sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 10-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

The place that installed mine put it right in my H pipe. I noticed it while putting my driveshaft in. I quess so if either side went lean it would pick it up.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:24 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

if its after the cats, you are not getting accurate a/f readings straight n fresh from the engine. If there are no cats, then anywhere would be fine. Although i still dont like the idea of being RIGHT on the middle cross of H. i'd rather have it come off on one side of the engine than that. H is too far back for my taste.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Thanks ChiDiddy. I will probably put it in between the cat and the where the header connects to the pipe to the cat. And on the passenger side as it will make it easier to run the cable into the car. Unless I hear anthing different, that is what I will do.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:50 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

ok looks like you're going here

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/02E54E9314A941469F289AF985E534D9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-26-2007, 11:17 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Make sure you put it in the side that is FURTHEST away from the fuel supply. So, whichever fuel rail gets fuel second, is the side you want the wideband in. The reason being is that is the bank that will be running leanest. You also want to stay as close to the exhaust manifold as you can, but do NOT mount it in the manifold. Also make sure you mount the sensor per the directions in you wideband, and make 100% certain that your grounds are good ones. A poor ground can also skew your readings.

Quick Reply: A/F o2 Sensor placement