Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple install

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 09:32 PM
ytix
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple install

Thank you! Extra dirty Absolut martini with no vermouth please. Wasn't there talk of a New Years Vegas bash for FI stangers? Or was that me just 'projecting'!
Old 10-27-2007, 10:10 PM
ytix
1st Gear Member

More weird goal-oriented behavior with the anti-seize after sweating through anxious removal of all 8 intact spark plugs.

Prior to the Whipple install thePCV oil separatorhose had collapsed. Here is Earl's inner support spring to prevent future collapse problems

Stock MAF housing screws (right) won't work as instructed, Lowe's replacement screws (left) did the job

Whipple MAF housing to air cleaner housing allen bolts in my kit were too short, Lowe's replacement bolts (installed) did the job. A little bit ofRTV silicone gasket makerbetween the housings makes for a good seal, too.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:15 PM
RUFDRAFT
3rd Gear Member

Yikes. Should we expect a response from Whipple?
Old 10-27-2007, 11:48 PM
ytix
1st Gear Member

Nuts to attach the second FPDM of the GT500 dual pump to the trunk wall were missing, Lowe's nuts worked fine
Old 10-28-2007, 12:25 AM
ytix
1st Gear Member

Bolt included in the kit to attach the radiator hose fitting to the coolant crossover tube was too long.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:06 AM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Ytix, Appreciate you taking time to point this helpful information outfor those of us that will be doing a future Whipple job. Thanks again!
Looking forward to hearing your reports after you put your foot to the floor.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ytix

This pic shows the necessity of ratcheting wrenches as narrow clearance frequently prevents sockets from being used. The recommended torque values for bolts like these are certainly puzzling as it is impossible to attach a torque wrench to many of the bolts and fasteners for which it is recommended.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...x/DSCN0899.jpg

Try some crows feet for a situation like this.

[IMG]local://upfiles/34336/81D0020BF0854F07B066F85CBF153C52.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-28-2007, 08:20 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

Try some crows feet for a situation like this.

[IMG]local://upfiles/34336/81D0020BF0854F07B066F85CBF153C52.jpg[/IMG]
+1 I bought a cheap set from harbor freight tools because I didn't see me using them often.

Ytix, I see you have a 2007 so the kit is a bit different than mine. I knew going in that the stock MAF screws wouldn't work, not sure why whipple hasn't changed this as I did email them about it. I didn't use any sealant between the air filter housing the MAF tube. While it seemed strange that it didn't have a seal supplied, I couldn't see any dirt/dust getting past it and it's before the MAF so if any air did leak it wouldn't make a difference.

Be sure your battery is fully charged. If you have a battery charger then try placing it on the battery and attach the pro cal tool again. Did you instantly get the yellow light? If you don't have a battery charger you could hook up some jumper cables to another car while you try and load the tune. Be sure you have flashed the stock tune back on the car if you had a custom tune.

If it senses the battery voltage is to low I don't believe it will go ahead with the reflash. I does take a few minutes to reflash, much longer than my xcal2.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:24 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm not sure if i was missing these nuts or not, but I do remember the instructions saying to use sheet metal screws so i'm guessing that 2005 mustangs might not have had the studs allready there. The only thing I do recall missing from my kit was the hose clamp for the lower intercooler reservoir hose.

The fuel pump install is very easy if you know before hand how it's supposed to sit in the tank. How did your injectors leak?

Nuts to attach the second FPDM of the GT500 dual pump to the trunk wall were missing, Lowe's nuts worked fine
Old 10-28-2007, 08:32 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You guys with ratcheting wrenches are lucky. My intercooler looked just like yours, but I don't remember any writing on it. What is the part number for that IAT sensor and what did you do to make it screw into the 1/8 inch port? I would like to put one in there to hook to my aeroforce gauge so i can see how much hotter the difference is in the stock IAT readings and after the compressor.

This pic shows the necessity of ratcheting wrenches as narrow clearance frequently prevents sockets from being used. The recommended torque values for bolts like these are certainly puzzling as it is impossible to attach a torque wrench to many of the bolts and fasteners for which it is recommended.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...x/DSCN0899.jpg

Another pic of the installed temp sensor in the intake sans compressor. The pre-compressor IAT location in the Whipple kit is a head-scratcher. I understand the other major 2005+ supercharger manufacturers use IAT sensors located down wind of the compressor.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...x/DSCN0900.jpg

Some very interesting graffiti on the side of the condenser.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...x/DSCN0901.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...x/DSCN0902.jpg

Quick Reply: Whipple install