Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Manual or Automatic GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Manual or Automatic GT?

I recommend the stick. I bought mine for the same reason... power.. And you really feel it and can enjoy it better with the manual, IMO.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Shadofax

I have an auto and wish I had gone the other way [:@]just not the same!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:08 PM
craezjo
2nd Gear Member

if your gonna leave the tranny stock i say get the manual if you want to upgrade it then get an auto
Old 10-28-2007, 07:12 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Manual tranny for me all the way. (It's just my preference.) Both the manual and auto drivers have been able to get their cars to perform just fine.

Sleeper2
Old 10-28-2007, 07:26 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Autos look wierd...So go with the stick
Old 10-28-2007, 07:39 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

If you like to shift, get the manual!

If you don't like to shift, get the automatic!

SIMPLE!

They are both great cars.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:59 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

You are always going to get the internet forum jocks who think they are God's gift to Earth just because they know how to drive a stick (not saying it is anyone here), but get what YOU want.

Certainly, for some, getting the auto takes out some of the "cool" factor. If you are going to become obsessed with racing and posting your "kills" on the internet, and getting beat my another car in a street race will ruin your life, you may be better off with the manual. They do, after all, make about 15-20 HP more than the auto (stock) and will give you the street cred that some so desperately seek. Even so, an auto GT is hardly a pushover. There are plenty of cheap bolt-on options to make up the small difference in HP, and a tune will make the tranny shift faster than the manuals could ever shift. Sure, the manual guy could go out and mod his car too and you are right back to where you started, but there will always be a faster car than you, in the end is it really that important?

While most would agree the manual adds to the driving experience, I think the fun factor is, for the most part,relative. I have never found myself bored withthe autowhile driving the car. Would it be more fun with a manual? At times, probably. But I am certainly not bored and, due to the reasons listed below, I am plenty happy with the auto.

My personal reasons for getting the automaticwere the following:

(1) I live in the Chicago loop and drive the car at least one and a half hours a day in the worst of Chicago stop-and-go traffic. The shifting would get a little old. And even when moving, I am usually dodging trucks, taxis, construction zones, and bizarre traffic patterns, so it helps to have one less element to worry about when driving.
(2) I am 6'-5" and, after long drives, my knee sometimes bothers me. I can't imagine having to deal with another pedal in that traffic. The car is decently roomy, but if I were any taller, it wouldn't work for me, I am just about at the limit.
(3) My last car was a12 year old family sedan. So this car, even with the auto, is plenty of fun for me.If you have had fast, manual cars your whole life, you might be a little bored with the automatic. Once I have had my fill with this car, I plan on getting another muscle car in a few years, with a manual, and keeping this as my "beater".
(4) This car is my daily driver in Chicago winters and is parked outside (covered). The remote start is a life saver, not to mention I get to stand behind it and listen to my Borla mufflers and longtubes fire up. As far as I know, it isn't safe to put the remote start on a manual.
(5) While I was planning on modding the car, I never planned on racing the car are worrying too much about stuff like that. I was more concerned with the day-to-day practicality.

But, in my opinion, if none of the above applies to you, I would get the manual...
Old 10-28-2007, 08:58 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Well, you know its a matter of personal preference. I settle for an auto and I am happy with it....
Old 10-28-2007, 09:05 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

Well I drove the stick and auto and I got the auto. My dyno tune shifts better than I ever could. But on the other side of the issue, if I did the road racing thing I would have got a stick and tricked out the suspension for the twistys. Moral of the story is, figure out what you are gonna do with the car, and choose accordingly.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:13 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

If you don't plan on racing, and sit in traffic everyday an A/T is probably the way to go. If you enjoy driving the twisty mountain roads, or tracks then get a stick.

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic GT?