Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

consequences of overreving?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 AM
GotMunchies?
1st Gear Member

Default RE: consequences of overreving?

Since we don't have interference engines, there's not as much danger from overrevving, floating the valves, and ramming them into the cylinder heads. The MOD V8's are actually quite revvy and to be honest, I wouldn't really start worrying until you're well into 7000rpms. And then, I'd just get a better oil pump and stronger valve springs.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:41 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: GotMunchies?

Since we don't have interference engines, there's not as much danger from overrevving, floating the valves, and ramming them into the cylinder heads. The MOD V8's are actually quite revvy and to be honest, I wouldn't really start worrying until you're well into 7000rpms. And then, I'd just get a better oil pump and stronger valve springs.
Ditto. I have a built valve train but still run on the stock cams and my limiter is set for 7500 rpm and I shift at 7000 rpm.

When I was on the bone stock longblock, I shifted at 6800 rpm and never had an issue.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:58 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

interference engines? **** for the life of me i can't remember what that means.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:43 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

American muscle hasn't seen an interference engine in a LONG time...lol

But here's a decent article describing the difference of using a rubber timing belt...

http://www.leemyles.com/articles/int...ing-belts.html
Old 10-30-2007, 10:51 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

American muscle hasn't seen an interference engine in a LONG time...lol

But here's a decent article describing the difference of using a rubber timing belt...

http://www.leemyles.com/articles/int...ing-belts.html
interesting article. can someone sparknotes this for me? my brains kinda slowin down now (nyquill).
Old 10-30-2007, 11:27 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

mine is set to 6500. I hit it all the time LOL but I think it's just common sense thathittinghigh RPMon a regular basiswill eventually wear the engine down quicker.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:28 AM
GotMunchies?
1st Gear Member

With an interference engine, the valves will protrude further into the cylinder chamber allowing less resistance for the flow of intake and exhaust gases. On the other hand, timing becomes difficult. Poor timing, valve float, over-revving could all lead to the valves impacting the cylinder heads. Bent valves are not really good for that whole performance thing.

Though not all interference engines use belts. For example, the S2000's 2.0l I4 is an interference engine and has a timing chain. What an engine...
Old 11-01-2007, 09:46 AM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

ISN'T IT TRUE THOUGH THAT WITH A STOCK GT THE MAX HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE TOPS OUT AT AROUND 5800 RPMS? I WAS ALWAYS UNDER THE ASSUMPTION THAT IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING FOR YOU TO HIT RED LINE...OR SURPASS IT FOR THAT MATTER. WITH MY CAR I COULD NEVER EVER SEE MYSELF GOING OVER 6000 EVER. WHY SPEND $25,000-$30,000 ON A CAR AND BEAT THE HELL OUT OF THE MOTOR? MAYBE I'M JUST VERY CONSERVATIVE, BUT IN MY OPINION THE REDLINE IS THERE FOR A REASON. 5800 IS JUST FINE FOR ME.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mynameismike65

ISN'T IT TRUE THOUGH THAT WITH A STOCK GT THE MAX HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE TOPS OUT AT AROUND 5800 RPMS? ....
When I asked Seth at Brenspeed why they reset the rev limiter at 6500 RPM, he stated that it's because the 4.6 will continue to pull thru 6250. 6500 it is for me. And I've been there and feel fine about it.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:08 PM
GotMunchies?
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mynameismike65

ISN'T IT TRUE THOUGH THAT WITH A STOCK GT THE MAX HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE TOPS OUT AT AROUND 5800 RPMS? I WAS ALWAYS UNDER THE ASSUMPTION THAT IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING FOR YOU TO HIT RED LINE...OR SURPASS IT FOR THAT MATTER. WITH MY CAR I COULD NEVER EVER SEE MYSELF GOING OVER 6000 EVER. WHY SPEND $25,000-$30,000 ON A CAR AND BEAT THE HELL OUT OF THE MOTOR? MAYBE I'M JUST VERY CONSERVATIVE, BUT IN MY OPINION THE REDLINE IS THERE FOR A REASON. 5800 IS JUST FINE FOR ME.
Its also true that not turning off your caps lock key makes things exceedingly difficult to read.

Also, why would a person buy a car touting performance if they're not going to use that performace?

"Hey man, nice 'Vette... HOLY **** its a Z06!"
"Why thank you!"
"Been to the track yet?"
"No no no. We've done a couple parades and I push it out of the garage every weekend to clean it."

*The sound of thousands of engineers losing sleep for all their effort wasted.*

Quick Reply: consequences of overreving?