Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clutch/Flywheel

Old 10-29-2007, 02:01 PM
led_revolver
1st Gear Member

Default Clutch/Flywheel

Hi guys, first post!

So recently the clutch went on my new 05 GT. The Ford dealership is saying that they cant get an OEM clutch soon enough, so i was thinking aftermarket. Also they said the flywheel may need to be cut, so im thinking aftermarket lightweight. What are your opinions on a good daily driver clutch and flywheel, im planning on goign to the track about once or twice a month and modding heavily in the future, but want to have daily driveablility.

Thanks so much guys
Old 10-29-2007, 03:07 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch/Flywheel

personally, i'd go with

Spec Stage II
Aluminum flywheel
-
If your going over 475 - 500 rwhp, you may
consider the Spec Stage III.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:32 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

Depends on how heavily moddified you are talking about. I am building my car slowly to about 600RWHP so I elected to get the spec 3+ with light weight flywheel. The first 400 miles were a pain for DD stop and go traffic. Now it's got about 600 miles on it and it's fully broke in, it almost feels stock. The weight was maybe an extra 20 pounds to push in but when I hit the peddle WOT I hook and go, absolutely no slipping.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:46 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums! I had this same question not too long ago. I am having my car looked at today and I am going to decide very soon. I will let you know what I go with. I heard there were some problems with some of the aftermarket clutches. I don't remember which brand so I will try and find that information.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:19 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

Welcome to the forums! I had this same question not too long ago. I am having my car looked at today and I am going to decide very soon. I will let you know what I go with. I heard there were some problems with some of the aftermarket clutches. I don't remember which brand so I will try and find that information.
There were some problems with centerforce clutches, but I think they have resolved them. I'm personally going with spec 2 with their steel flywheel.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:34 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Just got back from Hardcore Mustangs and got advice from the owner Ernie (great guy). He recommended McCloud or however you spell it. He said he has installed all of the clutches on the new mustang and the only one he likes in McCloud. They have the lightest flywheel on the market for the new stangs as well.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:37 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

+1 on what hammeronsaid that is the same setup I have, it drive nice only a little stiffer than stock, you can slip it or ride it if need be.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:14 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Lighter is not always better. Do some google search on aluminum vs. steel flywheel or light weight vs. heavy flywheel. A heavier flywheel can keep your revs from dropping when shifting, if you power shift then that's not that big a deal, but I don't want to leave any part of my transmission on the track. A heavier flywheel can also help your launch believe it or not. Where the lightweight shines is towards the end of the 1/4 mile or in a road race course.

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

Just got back from Hardcore Mustangs and got advice from the owner Ernie (great guy). He recommended McCloud or however you spell it. He said he has installed all of the clutches on the new mustang and the only one he likes in McCloud. They have the lightest flywheel on the market for the new stangs as well.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: hammeron

personally, i'd go with

Spec Stage II
Aluminum flywheel
-
If your going over 475 - 500 rwhp, you may
consider the Spec Stage III.
Great recommendation bro..

Awesome clutch. Light Pedal effort, drives smooth and will hold plenty of power.

Always in stock here at Lethal Performance as well!!

Jared
Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

I agree with you to some degree moosestang, but the only part of the flywheel that is aluminum is the contact patch at least on the Spec's 2+, so while it is lighter it still retains the strength of steel. The problem with that is you need to have it balanced before you install it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch/Flywheel