Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

these brakes suck!!! what should i replace, CHEAPLY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:28 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: these brakes suck!!! what should i replace, CHEAPLY?

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

ORIGINAL: Bluestar
I recently had a problem with the Brakes, causing a Shake in the front end, under heavy braking. Turns out that the rotors were slightly warped..........too much heat from high speed braking. New rotors, problem solved.
Hi Bluestar,

Rotors don't actually "warp" without a lot of help from the driver and the personwho failed to properly torque thewheels. There is no way for rotors to actually "warp" if installed properly.

HTH!
+1
I over tourqued my front lug nuts and had a shake show up right after. I warped my rotors while my car was parked[&:]
Old 10-31-2007, 10:34 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

rotors do not affect braking or help with brake fade as much as pads/fluid themselves.

i had powerslots on other car, will never get them again. waste of money, so i got cheap ebay brand drilled/slotted rotors instead. as long as you dont road race (drag is ok) in them, then they wont crack. I recommend ebay seller Rotorworks. They also have the pads as a pakcage deal.

Although its best to stick with stock blank rotors.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:19 AM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

Try new rotors and Hawk pads.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:28 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

i think they're warped. makes the most sense to me, its gotten worse and worse as time goes on. im gonna use this as an excuse to get some new brakes
Old 11-01-2007, 01:16 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Just get some takeoff rotors and install some ducts. Even Brembos overheat. If you warp rotors on the street with decent pads and ducts you either A) don't know how to drive , B) are driving WAY too hard than you should be on the street , or C) both

I ran 4 full 20 minute sessions on a busy road course (Buttonwillow)2 weeks ago on STOCK pads. Granted, they were toast by the end of the day but I still was able to drive 150 miles home on them.

Just do pads, fluid, ducts, and lines - that will work just fine
Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 AM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

I recently had a problem with the Brakes, causing a Shake in the front end, under heavy braking. Turns out that the rotors were slightly warped..........too much heat from high speed braking. New rotors, problem solved.
my family had a jeep cherokee back in the day and after coming back from like a 4 hour trip, we decided to wash it because it looked dirty and that warped the rotors. i mean, it seems kind of intuitive now, but seriously, who knew? haha
Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 PM
AshTang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ChiDiddy

we just replaced the tires for General Exclaim UHP's. (have it on the rsx and scion as well[&:]) we love these tires, rides nice and quiet, yet fantastic grip in dry and wet conditions, not to mention CHEAP! Ranked #1 on tirerack in their catagory.
Chididdy,

I saw the tread on your shoes on both cars and recognized them as Exclaims right away. You should be very happy with them. I am a General Tire employee and can't wait to get my new wheels and tires too.

Shawn
Old 11-01-2007, 10:24 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

DBA rotors and some Hawk pads.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:40 PM
pinoy
1st Gear Member

You can try www.rotorpros.com I bought all four rotors (drilled and slotted plus the brake hub black), stainless steel lines, and Hawk Performance Pads for only $500... The rotors cost me $250, SS lines cost me $120 and the pads cost me $130... I haven't installed them yet, but I will this saturday!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:23 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I highly recommend what rodeoflyer said.

I got takeoffs, and stoptech stage 1 brake kit from Brenspeed which is SS lines, motul brake fluid and better pads and it made a ton of difference in pedal feel and progressive stops. Adding the ducting is next for me as it will make a big difference on the road course.

Quick Reply: these brakes suck!!! what should i replace, CHEAPLY?