Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Saleen supercharger installation notes

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:07 AM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen supercharger installation notes

+1 what Grampa stang said. I love being able to go from 0-60 in a few seconds and be the first on the on ramp. You almost need a 500hp car out here to drive in California, these freeways are like the Autobohn out here!!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:46 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

dewittalday
Congrats on the supercharger and thanks for the write up. I am constantly on the whipple/saleen fence although I would get the Brenspeed stage one or two. Prefer the whipple but I really like everything I hear about brenspeed's customer service and tunes. I am getting more and more jaded when it comes to working with companies and am starting to buy alternate products to buy from "good" companies instead of cheaper.

Did you have any problems with Hood or Firewall clearance? Are you an auto or a stick?
Old 11-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Meangreen1200
2nd Gear Member

Nice write up! Congrats on a job well done and the satisfaction of doing it yourself!!!
Old 11-03-2007, 03:57 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

love reading these posts....gets the saliva running.....gotta go find a way to save more $, and fast!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:57 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Great write-up! I am getting my saleen blower soon and will be doing my own install as well. I had two questions for you...
1) What needs to be done to take the front bumper off?
2) How necessary is it to take off the front wheels?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2007, 07:30 PM
dewittalday

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

dewittalday
Congrats on the supercharger and thanks for the write up. I am constantly on the whipple/saleen fence although I would get the Brenspeed stage one or two. Prefer the whipple but I really like everything I hear about brenspeed's customer service and tunes. I am getting more and more jaded when it comes to working with companies and am starting to buy alternate products to buy from "good" companies instead of cheaper.

Did you have any problems with Hood or Firewall clearance? Are you an auto or a stick?
My car is stick, all stock transmission (with Hurst shifter). I put the Prothane motor mounts in a few months ago and it lowered the engine about 1/2". It's a tight fit between the hood liner and Saleen intake, but the intake doesn't hit the hood. I'd say there's ~1/2" clearance under the stock hood (don't know how thick the hood liner is). I'd say it "might" be a tight fit if you were to use the stock motor mounts and stock hood. I have about 1/4" clearance between the back of the intake and firewall.

From my own experiences, I now only buy things from reputable vendors, even if it costs a little bit more. I like getting order confirmations and shipping confirmations with tracking numbers. I like the peace of mind knowing that if I have a problem with something, I'll get a quick response for my questions (especially when spending thousands of dollars).

Thanks for all the comments. I've been on this forum for over a year now and got a lot of info from it, so now I'm trying to contribute something! Keep the questions/comments coming!
Old 11-03-2007, 08:05 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

dewittalday

With a 2007 the Saleen will fit without rubbing either the hood liner or the firewall *without* the need for the lowering mounts. BTW - I believe Brent can also sell, install, and tune the Whipple. You should ask.

When I was looking at my Saleen I was also looking at the Stage II until I found out this would not 'guarantee' me 425+ rwhp. Opted for the Stage III instead - especially after reading on these forums and others about how a lot of guys wished they'd gone for that power level right off the bat instead of upgrading to it.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:11 PM
dewittalday

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

Great write-up! I am getting my saleen blower soon and will be doing my own install as well. I had two questions for you...
1) What needs to be done to take the front bumper off?
2) How necessary is it to take off the front wheels?

Thanks!
1) The front fascia comes off pretty easy. You need to remove the fender well liners (front pieces) on both sides in order to get to some bolts and brackets that hold on the fascia. Do you have the Saleen supercharger installation instructions? The instructions are pretty good, but I think the pictures suck. The only thing I regret from my install is not taking more pics and updating the installation instructions. Anyway, here's a link to the instructions - http://www.saleen.com/installation-manuals/Saleen Series VI Supercharger Installation Manual - Rev G.pdf. Check pages 13-15.

FYI - Saleen installation instructions can be found at http://www.saleen.com/installation_manuals.html.

2) You'll need to at least take off the passenger front wheel and fender liners to be able to route the intercooler pump wire into the passenger foot well where the junction box is. This is because you splice into a wire for power to the pump. I installed Nexus gauges which were routed through the driver side, so I just jacked my car up and tore everything off to start with so it would be easier for me.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:53 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2007GT/CS

dewittalday

With a 2007 the Saleen will fit without rubbing either the hood liner or the firewall *without* the need for the lowering mounts. BTW - I believe Brent can also sell, install, and tune the Whipple. You should ask.

When I was looking at my Saleen I was also looking at the Stage II until I found out this would not 'guarantee' me 425+ rwhp. Opted for the Stage III instead - especially after reading on these forums and others about how a lot of guys wished they'd gone for that power level right off the bat instead of upgrading to it.
Some will rub and some won't. I don't know the reason why some will and others won't, though. I've posted pics on here some tige ago (don't remember when) of the holes in my liner into the aluminum. The MM's took care of it though
Old 11-04-2007, 08:01 AM
bchataroo
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for thge write-up. Wish I cold "talk superchargers" with you. Oh well. I will happen eventually.

Later