Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

'08 stock gear noise - design change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 05:00 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Default '08 stock gear noise - design change?

Hi All,

The last time I posted here I had a leaky 2006 Mustang GT. After months and months of working through the system, Ford ended up agreeing to replace that vehicle with a new 2008 Mustang GT (I've had it for 9 days now). I have to say, I was very very content with the new vehicle for...about 3 days...which is when I noticed an interesting gear noise. I first noticed this noise in third gear only, but the noise was present whether or not the clutch was engaged, and basically started "spinning up" when I got close to 3rd gear (synchro was activating), and likewise would "spin down" upon coming out of 3rd gear with the shifter.

Needless to say, so I made an appointment to have a tech ride with me. When I got there, the guy immediately commented that this was a "known issue", but happily agreed to ride with me anyway. He did hear the sound, but stood by this initial diagnosis. He said that the noise is a result of Ford redesigning their gears to be of a straighter cut than the previous models (noisier, but stronger). He said this was the case for the new Shelbys as well, and that a customer with a Shelby had already been in to complain about it. He showed me a TSB for this, but it was specifically for the Shelby, and not the GT. He said that there is also one for the GT, but he "didn't have my VIN to look it up" and had this one handy, yada yada.

So, my question is, did Ford really change the design of their gears between 2006 and 2008? I certainly didn't notice this noise in my 06...

Thanks guys!

P.S. At least this one doesn't leak OR clunk [&:]
Old 11-05-2007, 08:25 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: '08 stock gear noise - design change?

Bump...

Come on guys, no takers?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:45 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

when i put my car in, say, 1st gear with the rpm's at 1200 ish while the car is moving, it makes that winding up noise. its kind of annoying. the car does make a lot of gear noise.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:04 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i hope you didnt' get another lemon, this
would start the process all over again
Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I am no expert but I have never heard of a change in the trans from 05 through to 08. But from my experience in other cars with aftermarket transmissions straight cut gears to make more noise and are stronger. If this is true I would say it is a good thing for performance and bad for NVH. The car is still very new, with 9 days on it I would venture less than 500 miles. Anything mechanical has to be broken in so the surfaces can mate and such. I would say give it a few thousand miles and see if it quiets down.

I totally understand that after your ordeal getting your car replaced you are going to be sensitive to noises and annoyances. I would keep an eye on it and looks for other symptoms like burning smells or increased effort getting into gear. Now if the noise gets worse I would bring it back in.

Thats my 2 cents.

Good Luck
Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
MdnytRider
1st Gear Member

The transmission in my '08 GT is a little noisier than I expected, and makes a whirring sound at various times. I don't know whether there was a change made to the gears, but with a performance car like this I expected a little less refinement. The only thing between the shifter (which is bolted to the transmission through a rubber bushing, and to the car through another bushing just under the console) and the inside of the car is a rubber boot and the shift boot, so there's not much of a noise filter. I have heard the dealer service guys talk about what they call "transmission rollover noise" which is a catch-all term for any gear noise made by a manual transmission - my '00 Jeep Wrangler had it.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:15 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

MustangGT0405, I think you've nailed it on the head about me being a little sensative about stuff being "just right" with this car. It's hard not to be crazy about it, but I am doing my best to try to curb it. I think I will take the advice and hold off on anything drastic for a while to see if it changes, etc. I have absolutely no trouble shifting, and in actuality, this car shifts soooo much better than my other one (which I also find very weird, like I really just got a big POS the first time).

Getting this car was a real PITA, and I sure hope I never have to go through it again. I really appreciate the comments, guys; I guess I'll just wait and see what happens!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:25 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

My car leaked and I got it fixed.....man I shoulda got a new one j/k.
My 06 has that gear whine in 1st and 2nd. You've got to trick yourself into "enjoying" the rattles wines and clunks, so I enjoy the whining sound.[&:]