Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

body kit and performance!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 03:44 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Default RE: body kit and performance!

LOL why do you need downforce? You have a super heavy car, and unless you are on a sprint track it is unnecessary, even dragging. (Front downforce that is)
Old 11-06-2007, 03:45 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: a.akawi
I wouldnt want to play with the air flow then, but a chin spoiler for downforce will be good since I always drive on high speeds when I get back from work!!!

My only problem with chin spoilers is the looks!
I cant stand anything extra on my car, anything that feels it is not ment to be there!

and the only chin spoiler I liked was this https://www.cervinis.com/large.aspx?img=4339_820.jpg

Do you guys think it will do the job?
Hi a.akawi,

That Cervinis piece is a horizontal spliter, not an air dam. A horizontal splitter is more efficent in that they do not need to scrape the ground to be effective. Air dams need depth to work and look more like these CDC pieces:

The Legend Splitter looks like this:

HTH!

Old 11-06-2007, 03:48 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 22kart22
LOL why do you need downforce? You have a super heavy car, and unless you are on a sprint track it is unnecessary, even dragging. (Front downforce that is)
Hi 22kart22,

To offset the lift the body generates as it moves through the air. A car body is basically anairfoil shape so we get lift asairspeed speed goes up.

HTH!
Old 11-06-2007, 04:01 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

True... But only real racecars need downforce...Or atleast cars that run on obstacle courses to maintain traction during extreme outward weight transfer...

All I'm saying is that when driving 100 mph in our vehicles, the loss of contact force between the tires and ground is minimal.

But if you choose to want more downforce, go right ahead
Old 11-06-2007, 04:43 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

True... But only real racecars need downforce...Or atleast cars that run on obstacle courses to maintain traction during extreme outward weight transfer...

All I'm saying is that when driving 100 mph in our vehicles, the loss of contact force between the tires and ground is minimal.

Hi 22kart22,

What do you think makes your tires grip the road in a turn?Downward forceincreasestire grip, the more downforce you have the more grip you have. The less downforce you have the less grip you have. Vehicle stability depends on several thingsbut the things we can control easily without a vehicle redesign aresuspension alignment and handling balance. Handling balance is influenced by airflowand you don't necessarily need to be going 100MPH to haveaerodynamic features working for you.

HTH!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:47 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

Hi 22kart22,

What do you think makes your tires grip the road in a turn?Downward forceincreasestire grip, the more downforce you have the more grip you have. The less downforce you have the less grip you have. Vehicle stability depends on several thingsbut the things we can control easily without a vehicle redesign aresuspension alignment and handling balance. Handling balance is influenced by airflowand you don't necessarily need to be going 100MPH to haveaerodynamic features working for you.

HTH!

Yes, I agree totally. But I believe the poster said he just wanted some extra downforce....which is fine with me...But if he's not gonna race it or drive it hard at high speeds, it is somewhat pointless.... I think we are contradicting ourselves....
Old 11-07-2007, 12:56 PM
a.akawi
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

I wouldnt want to play with the air flow then, but a chin spoiler for downforce will be good since I always drive on high speeds when I get back from work!!!

My only problem with chin spoilers is the looks!
I cant stand anything extra on my car, anything that feels it is not ment to be there!

and the only chin spoiler I liked was this https://www.cervinis.com/large.aspx?img=4339_820.jpg

Do you guys think it will do the job?
Hi a.akawi,

That Cervinis piece is a horizontal spliter, not an air dam. A horizontal splitter is more efficent in that they do not need to scrape the ground to be effective. Air dams need depth to work and look more like these CDC pieces:

The Legend Splitter looks like this:

HTH!

So are you saying a the splitter wont do me any good? oris the CDC better!.... because I know a friend with a GT500 front fascia, he said after installing it his car was a lot steadier at high speeds which has a front splitter/deflector.

The thing is, i also like how the Legend Splitter looks like lol
Old 11-07-2007, 01:21 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

So are you saying a the splitter wont do me any good? oris the CDC better!.... because I know a friend with a GT500 front fascia, he said after installing it his car was a lot steadier at high speeds which has a front splitter/deflector.

The thing is, i also like how the Legend Splitter looks like lol
Hi a.akawi,

No! I personally prefer a splitter for its' better effeciency and minimal impact on the car's appearance. A splitter works even if it is not on the ground where an air dam must be very low to work well. This means a splitter can be higher and still be effective which allows a minimal change in front ground clearance which for a daily driver is agood thing. An air dam needs to be very low to be effective which increases the chances of curb damage to the air dam. Adding this mch visualweight and makes a very big visual change andunbalances the visual massing of the carwhichis already pretty heavy and monlithic looking even stock. In this way the V6's bumper cover is much better balancedbut the V6's bumper cover has limited options in terms of aero aids and brake ducts. Adding a splitter can increase stability at freeway speeds, no doubt. I like both designs but the Cervinis splitter has a more effective end plate design in front of the wheel opening. That little vertical dam increases the effectiveness of the splitter by promoting air over the car and not around it.

HTH!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:31 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

Steeda has afront fascia. I believe you can adda brake ducting package to it and a fog light package.The format also allows you to delete your inner lights and go Billet grilles if you have a hankerin.
http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...ront_facia.php

Probably spendy but probably real good quality and it keeps within the stock fascia lines IMO

I would be interested to hear F1Fans comments on its effectiveness as a splitter.. F1Fan?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:37 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jlaurens06gt
Steeda has afront fascia. I believe you can adda brake ducting package to it and a fog light package.The format also allows you to delete your inner lights and go Billet grilles if you have a hankerin.
http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...ront_facia.php

Probably spendy but probably real good quality and it keeps within the stock fascia lines IMO

I would be interested to hear F1Fans comments on its effectiveness as a splitter.. F1Fan?
Hi jlaurens06gt,

Why would you want to reduce the amount of lighting you have available for driving? Doesn't it get dark where you live? I've never understood the reason people remove perfectly good working lights from the front of the S197GT just to install a metal grill. I could understand it if there were some sort of amazingly goodDOT approved HID projection headlights available to replace the stock profile headlights but there is no such thing available for th S197GT at this time. Even thoughSaleen HID headlights are good they are no matchfor even the lowest end O.E. HID headlights from Germany. With the Saleen HID headlight and the stockfogs pumped up with H10 HID conversions I can see better than almost any O.E. GermanHID headlight option. So why remove the foglights justforappearance? Why sacrifice lighting performance and safety for looks?

The stock bumpercover has more than enough openings to cool the engine and brakes so unless your intent is to give the car a moreagressive look just use what is on the car already and spend the money on a spindle mounted brake duct system. FRPP andAgent47 make pretty good stuff in the brake cooling department and they both work perfectly with the stock bumpercover. As to the spliter on the Steeda bumpercover replacement I've never seen one in person but from the images I've seen on-lineit looks too short.Longeris better but of course in practical terms if the spliterextendsmore than onemaybe two inchesbeyond the leading edge of the bumpercover it won't last long on the street even ifmade from aflexible material.Many roadrace cars use very long spliters on their noses trying to get as much air as possible over the nose of the car. Somerace splitersextend 6"-8" out from the leading edge of the car and are supplemented by leading edge wheelwell winglets.

HTH!

Quick Reply: body kit and performance!