Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Big HP + Little Tires = Less Chance of Damage?

Old 11-08-2007, 06:09 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Big HP + Little Tires = Less Chance of Damage?

huh....255/45/17 goes down to a 26.1 diameter as it is....255/50/17 keeps stock diameter....and you can get those is nittos, which are very nice tires.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:03 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Passing people in 3rd gear is a whole lot more fun now, that's for sure. I've seen people pull over after I pass them. I guess they thought their car was making a whining noise.

Stick to 8psi or less if your worried about the engine. The extra HP you'll make at 10psi is what's going to wear out parts faster, not the tires.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:10 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

Just got rid of my 245's all around in favor of 10" rims out back and 295's. My old tires would spin in 1st 2nd easy, you have to worry about rpms at this point so is is safer? I am not sure, but I do like the way it hooks now.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:21 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

power is good
Old 11-08-2007, 08:20 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Having your tires spininstead of hook up MAY or MAY NOTbe less hard on the drivetrain.....but, throwing your right foot into a twin-screwed carWILL make you see the lower right half of the tach a whole lot quicker !
Old 11-09-2007, 04:27 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I agree with you moose. I love cruising at 70 MPH and dropping from 5th to 4th and she pulls like mad! Very fun and the whine is great too! I love the looks I get on the highway when they realize I have FI![sm=smiley20.gif]
ORIGINAL: moosestang

Passing people in 3rd gear is a whole lot more fun now, that's for sure. I've seen people pull over after I pass them. I guess they thought their car was making a whining noise.

Stick to 8psi or less if your worried about the engine. The extra HP you'll make at 10psi is what's going to wear out parts faster, not the tires.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:20 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Sorry I meant 255/50/17's I wrote it down wrong. I think my main problem is that when I was on tire rack I was just guessing at sizes and they either didnt exist or where to small in diameter. Finally googled a site with a calculator so now I can find the dimensions and then search for tires sizes. Duh I am stupid sometimes.

I guess I will just wait and see how much cash I have when the tires wear out. Worst case I will try the 255's and see how they do.

I spend most of my commute on the highway and when some one wants to play or I want to pass, 4th gear just doesnt have it.

Alright but regardless of my stupid reasons people agree that it is less strain.

Moose,

I was justing thinking with the 8psi pulley it would be stink rich on the whipple tune and wanted to get it dyno tuned for the 8 # pulley. I might just say screw it and put it on and just see how it works. I will have my wideband so if I see it go below 10.5 I will put the 10# on till I scrape up the $$. Or I might just say screw it and take it to VMP and put the tune on a CC.

Thanks,

Thanks guys.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mills281e

Having your tires spininstead of hook up MAY or MAY NOTbe less hard on the drivetrain.....but, throwing your right foot into a twin-screwed carWILL make you see the lower right half of the tach a whole lot quicker !
I resemble that remark! I learned that the hard way at the tracktrying to do a burnout in 1st gear and I have 4.10's. I know everyone was laughing at me. Starting in second is much easier.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405
I guess I will just wait and see how much cash I have when the tires wear out. Worst case I will try the 255's and see how they do.
You might be allright with 3.55 gears and 255 tires using the 8psi pulley, but first gear at WOT will probably still spin at any speed. Second gear you shouldn't have a problem with traction though.

My exhaust pipes and spark plugs never indicated a severely rich condition. I'm looking into getting a wideband sensor to hook up to my aeroforce gauge, but i'm not to worried about the air/fuel ratio of the stock tune.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

255s IMO will not hook well on in 2nd either.... I had them on my rear after my Vortech got installed.... spun like crazy on the 1-2 or a 3-2 downshift [:@]....... I went with some DRs....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big HP + Little Tires = Less Chance of Damage?