Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

mustang project stage 1 - advice where to start!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 12:37 PM
thebrad

Default RE: mutang project stage 1 - advice where to start!

Just paid for a Whipple supercharger - will be installed early next week! Darrel at Mustang Muscle, St. Louis, who's owned the shop for eight years and did just about every kind of mustang project imagineable convinced me that this was definately the way to go. They'll throw a custom tune into it based off their dyno-jet too. Went over-budget - but hell, I'm sure I'll get sent back the desert a third time in the near future... financial miracles happen then! Not getting the intercooler installed... couldn't afford to do that quite yet.

Already starting to plan the future projects!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:26 PM
TDC71
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the whipple and new car. Also THANK YOU FOR UR SERVICE thebrad[sm=americanasmiley.gif]
Old 12-10-2007, 11:09 AM
thebrad

GOT IT!

Finally after a couple of shipping issues with Whipple - picked up the car on Friday.

This is not the same car- louder and meaner... and fast.

Drove from Saint Louis to Wichita to see the girlfriend - had to stop everytime I hit 3/4 tank because it was too much fun to pop the hood and check oil/show off at gas stations! And after this weekend - somewhere in this world is a Porsche owner that still isn't sure what happened to him on I-70!

Came off of the dyno at 356 rwhp... was disappointed with that number after starting at 300 - but after doing some more reading online flywheel hp vs rearwheel, finding out that I really do not know what the improvement amount was. At http://www.banzairunnerpantera.com/techinfo_calcs.htmthey throw out a rough fwhp = rwhp + .25*rwhp. Does that seem like a reasonable way to estimate? If that's the case my car went from the ford advertised number of 300 hp at the flywheel to around 445. That's an increase of 48%. Regardless of the numbers - the difference you feel behind the wheel is amazing. Before this car the most powerful car I ever drove was the same car, last week!

And of course - it's not enough. It will never be enough. Any thoughts on the next project? I'm leaning toward a new suspension system... or maybe a clutch since I'll be burning mine up pretty quick!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:20 AM
WPsharpshooter
3rd Gear Member

I say go with the suspension next... You have a good base on power and can feel it, so the suspension will only compliment the power and enhance the driving experience that much more, nowyou will have the best of both worlds.....
Old 12-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Mgt02

I agree with hammeron. if you got the 5gs to spend on it first go with a supercharger or a turbo cause boh will give you a significant change
in horsepower and torque. then id go with exhaust and hearders
Old 12-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Grabber07Orange
2nd Gear Member

if you want best of both worlds, low-end torque and high rpm horsepower, get some small twins . Say a couple 52mm turbos, spool up real quick and combined for about 10psi. More torque than a KB, more HP than a procharger
Old 12-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thebrad
Came off of the dyno at 356 rwhp... was disappointed with that number after starting at 300 - but after doing some more reading online flywheel hp vs rearwheel, finding out that I really do not know what the improvement amount was.
Average for a stock Manual is around 265 rwhp. Autos are around 250 rwhp.
My best guess is that you are in the 405-430 bhp range.
At any rate you have picked up 100+ bhp.

Is that a Stick or Auto? Non-Intercooled or 7 psi Intercooled System?
I wouldnt think it was a 10 psi HO based on the numbers.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:27 PM
thebrad

Thanks Gene

Manual.
Budget held me back from going intercooled- for now.

From Whipple:

NON INTERCOOLED SC SYSTEM
The standard Mustang SC kit boast the industries latest twin-screw supercharger, the W140ax which shares similar technology to the Ford GT supercharger. It also comes with a new aluminum intake manifold, 34lb/hr fuel injectors, Ford Racing spark plugs and PCM flash tool, 95mm MAF, cold air induction system with massive S&B air filter, billet inlet venture for increased air speeds as well as an oversized air-bypass system. This SC system pumps out nearly 415HP with 6-psi of boost and is easily upgradeable to the HO intercooled system. The non-intercooled system is available for automatic and manual transmission equipped vehicles.

HO SYSTEM
While 415HP might be enough for some, Whipple and Ford Racing have also developed the biggest, baddest intercooled system available today. The HO system boasts a massive aluminum air-to-water intercooler with a bar/plate design and 19fpi. This enormous intercooler mounts inside the cast aluminum long runner Whipple intake manifold. The air-to-water system stays cool with an oversized Fluidyne heat exchanger, nearly twice the size of some of the competition. A Shelby GT500 high-flow fuel pump takes care of the extra fuel flow while the Ford Racing PCM flash tool reconfigures the factory PCM for incredible, reliable power. The HO package pumps out an astonishing 500+HP* and over 475+TRQ*, all on 91-octane pump gas and a 100% stock engine! You’ll make nearly 400RWTRQ at the hit of throttle with an instant 8lbs of boost, something turbo and centrifugal systems simply cannot do.