Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Should I trade for a Shelby GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:27 AM
thebrad

Default RE: Should I trade for a Shelby GT

ORIGINAL: 2k6silvergt

Whipple supercharger, longtube headers, offroad h-pipe, magnaflow exhaust, 4.10s, custom dyno tune

waiting to be installed: eibach springs, BMR lca's, BMR adj uca, BMR adj panhard bar, prothane motor mounts
There's no way you should dump this off to pick up a stock GT500 or Shelby GT or whatever it is you are looking at! Everyone will know eactly what you have with stock. The fun of kicking the crap out of doctors in their corvettes and seeing the surprise/shame on their faces just wouldn't be the same!

I don't care what kind of car you are buying - cars are a bad investment... high risk, relatively low return. I think it's a shame when someone buys a car and then bubblewraps it and leaves it sit. Fast cars are toys, that's it.

I always chuckle to myself when I see the Shelby GTs out there... that is one overpriced body kit!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:37 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Send me a supercharger.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:47 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sawyer

Buy it and slam your whipple on it
+1

Or if what you like is the look of stripes and fake scoops you can put them on your car as well.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:07 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Haze28

But, if you want it to put it away and hope it goes up in value when Carroll Shelby dies go for it....
You don't think they will quit making shelby's after Mr. Shelby dies do you? Elvis is still making tv appearances for christs sake! I would not buy a car like the shelby gt or gt500 hoping it will be worth something someday. Better to take $40,000 and put it in a saving account or IRA.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:55 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: Haze28

But, if you want it to put it away and hope it goes up in value when Carroll Shelby dies go for it....
You don't think they will quit making shelby's after Mr. Shelby dies do you? Elvis is still making tv appearances for christs sake! I would not buy a car like the shelby gt or gt500 hoping it will be worth something someday. Better to take $40,000 and put it in a saving account or IRA.

+ 10000000000000

It's us aging boomers with healthy bank accounts and a nostalgic love for the cars we dreamed about in high school who created this bull market for late 60's and early 70's muscle cars, and I really really doubt that the same thing will happen again 30 or 40 years from now.
For one thing, gas (if there's any left by then- which is highly doubtful!) will probably cost at least $15 - $25 a gallon.
What's more, our economy will be so freakin' battered by then (imagine another 40 years of reckless budget deficits trying to fund medicare and social security for a gazillion seniors and welfare, special needs schooling and phony disability claims for a gazillion illegal aliens!) that those of you still alive by then will be lucky to be able to afford a picture of a 2007 Shelby.

Better listen to Moose's advice grasshoppers, and save your money- cause you'll need every cent you have in 2047 just to be able to pay for clean drinking water and powdered mac & cheese.....!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:26 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

I think it would make more sense just to make your car look like a Shelby GT. That should be easy. Chin spoiler, side scoops, hood scoop, stripes, hood pins, and a grille. Am I missing something? You can even buy the dash plaque.

I would even put "Shelby GT" on the side stripes, or maybe "Mustang GT", if you're uncomfrotable with putting Shelby on the car. If your car has all of the same parts as a Shelby GT, then why not call it a Shelby GT?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

I think it would make more sense just to make your car look like a Shelby GT. That should be easy. Chin spoiler, side scoops, hood scoop, stripes, hood pins, and a grille. Am I missing something? You can even buy the dash plaque.

I would even put "Shelby GT" on the side stripes, or maybe "Mustang GT", if you're uncomfrotable with putting Shelby on the car. If your car has all of the same parts as a Shelby GT, then why not call it a Shelby GT?
Eddy and Ilmor are backtracing your IP address and looking you up in the AT&T reverse directory as we speak. Remain calm. Don't try to escape.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Sometimes I wonder what conversations were being had back in '67 when someone was considering a GT350 over a K-code GT? You think that '67 GT350 was much more special(mechanically) than the K-code GT? The '67 GT350s weren't as specialized as the '65 versions, they were pretty much cosmetic specialsas the engine, trans, diff, suspension settings, etc, were pretty much standard K-code GT fare. Although they cost about 20-30% more(sound familiar?). Now, I'm not saying that the current S-GT will rise in value as much as an original Shelby(when compared to the standard GT offering), but the S-GT is special and different from the GT. Is it worth the extra cost? Most likely not(but neither was the '67 GT350 back in '67). In this day & age of "predetermined collector's items", anything that costs a lot more for not much of a performance difference will be scrutinized to death.
If I could get a S-GT for $27K, I'm there dude, but for what they're really going for, I'd consider a used GT500(anything under $45K) over the S-GT. My girlfriend is gonna get a S-GT in Jan(maybe before, but we're waiting to see how many leftover '07s are gonna be on dealer's lots by then) and she's cool with spending $45K for one(she paid $44K for her F-150), but I will not let her spend over $39K for one just on principal reasons alone. Her money and she is really set on getting one, I'm not gonna discourage her, but I won't let her pay over sticker for it(less, if possible).
I say, go with what you really want, what makes you smile every time you take a peek at your driveway. The new S-GT is a special car, and don't lie GT/V-6 owners, when a S-GT is spotted on the street, we take a long look at it, they're not common and a lot of people enjoy that privilege, but I see the point that it's too expensive for the sum of it's parts...........................