Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shoould I wait till after my break in period to install my cai/tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:51 AM
soldier boy
1st Gear Member

Default Shoould I wait till after my break in period to install my cai/tune

I was wondering if I should get threw my break in before installing my c&l street intake and sct xcal2 93 oct. tune from brenspeed or do you think it would be better to break it in with it installed ????? Im still in Iraq and almost out of here and would greatly appreciate the input... Oh and I am getting the FRPP suspension package installed this week so should have pictures soon !!!! Will post... Thanks Spc. Hewitt
Old 11-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Shoould I wait till after my break in period to install my cai/tune

Break-in period? We have a break-in period??? LOL! Why wait? No break-in period for these engines. they're built to be driven from the showroom to the track!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:13 PM
soldier boy
1st Gear Member

so im guessing you werent babying your car threw the break in period then? LOL . This is my first mustang / 30,000 dollar car so I didnt wanna mess it up ..
Old 11-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have about 10,400 miles on it in just over 5 months. 90% of that is highway driving. The other 10% is causing a ruckus around town, especially now that I have the tune. You won't hurt anything by getting on it before you rack up any mileage. I really don't baby it but I don't abuse it. I've probably done maybe 3 good burnouts. Other than that, I have this nasty habit of kicking it off cruise at 60 or 70, downshifting to 3rd and hammering her for a brief "sprint" to 110 or so. As far as a break-in, others have said the same thing, no real break-in. Just try not to abuse her too much and be mindful of your maintenance.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:21 PM
brayson
1st Gear Member

I would hold off for a while just because you will appreciate it that much more when you are familiar with the stock tune. My favorite thing about modding is experiencing a tangible difference from A to B.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-13-2007, 12:45 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

arent you supposed to run it at different rpm bands during the break-in period? if you put in a cai and a tune, you'll probably be running it at all different bands, so i think thats the best thing for it. just my opinion though
Old 11-13-2007, 02:02 PM
soldier boy
1st Gear Member

Yeah Im tracking you wanna vary your RPM's and keep it under 65 for the first 500 miles and try not to maintain a constant speed .....
Old 11-13-2007, 02:04 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

Break-in period? We have a break-in period??? LOL! Why wait? No break-in period for these engines. they're built to be driven from the showroom to the track!
There is a break in period for every car...Hope you were constantly mashing the throttle for the first 500 miles...your engine will be going earlier than others [&:]
Old 11-13-2007, 02:24 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

actually, there is debate on newer cars now and the "proper" break-in method. some say light break-in, and some say HARD break-in to properly seat the rings.

what do i do? just drive normal, lol.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:43 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

There is a break in period for every car...Hope you were constantly mashing the throttle for the first 500 miles...your engine will be going earlier than others
Correction: you mean it will go faster and last longer.
Break a motor in the same way it will be run..... always.
If your gonna be a big ***** then baby it, if you want to go fast then put the pedal down!

Quick Reply: Shoould I wait till after my break in period to install my cai/tune