Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cons of non-intercooled SC

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default cons of non-intercooled SC

non-intercooled is cheaper, but what are the dangers of running a non-intercooled SC? and does the inter cooler add more hp?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: cons of non-intercooled SC

If I'm not mistaken with the non-intercooled you are limited on the PSI you can run do to heat. The intercooled version will allow you run higher PSI and hence obtain more power.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:04 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

what made you decide on the paxton?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Test drove one and really liked it. Under normal driving around town it acts like a fairly stock mustang. Nail it and the power is there and it keeps building power. The pricing was good and Brent does great work with the Paxton kits.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

Unless you know you only want to run low boost you should definately go with an intercooler. It may cost more but I feel the benefits are worth it. Cooler air leads to a much smaller chance of detonation and other bad temperature related things.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:01 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I think he is on to something! Intercooler FTW IMHO.......the cooler the better and the twin screw I have (to me) requires a intercooler to help with heat soak. Ifeel the paxton and any other centrifical doesn't have to be boosted unlessyou plan on going withmore boost in the future. It depends on what S/C you get and what you want to use it for.....
ORIGINAL: rmssch89

Unless you know you only want to run low boost you should definately go with an intercooler. It may cost more but I feel the benefits are worth it. Cooler air leads to a much smaller chance of detonation and other bad temperature related things.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:44 AM
BartSimpson
1st Gear Member

Running an SC without an intercooler substantially increases the risk of detonation. And yes, the more cooler denser air you can get to the engine, the more horsepower you will get. I know it's more expensive but I wouldn't want to get an SC without an intercooler, I just don't think its worth the risk of detonation.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Intercoolers promote safe boost! Invest now or invest in a new engine later.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:59 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: BartSimpson

Running an SC without an intercooler substantially increases the risk of detonation. And yes, the more cooler denser air you can get to the engine, the more horsepower you will get. I know it's more expensive but I wouldn't want to get an SC without an intercooler, I just don't think its worth the risk of detonation.
+1 - remember that heat is your ENEMY. I would not use a a FI kit without an inter or after cooler at any boost level.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:08 PM
RF2.1
2nd Gear Member

While I can't argue with the wisdom of those who know far more than I (FordFanBoy, etc), definately look very carefully at want you want to do and what you're willing to accept/live with/fix/whatever before you buy anything. I'm going to be going with a non-intercooled Whipple in the near future, after having put a lot of thought into what I want to do and examining my options/driving habitsclosely. That being said, it's true that cooler is better. Listen to and consider what everyone here says, but also search around elsewhere and do your own independent research too. Here's a couple of links I've found handy along the way:

http://www.superchargeronline.com/content.asp?ID=16
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...all/index.html

Good luck with whatever you decide to do,

David

Quick Reply: cons of non-intercooled SC