Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

super charger and under drive pulley question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 PM
ebr
3rd Gear Member

Default super charger and under drive pulley question

If you have a Procharger that has its own crank pulley is there any reason why you cannot run a under drive pulley set up or under drive set up with a miezer elec. water pump ?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:07 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: super charger and under drive pulley question

Well, honestly an underdriven crank pulley will slow down the speed at which your Sc is turning, and the 7 HP you gain at the wheels from the UD pulley will be more than offset by the loss of 1 or 2 PSI of boost which will likely cost you in the 20 to 30 hp range...

So I guess the answer to your question is... Can it physically be done?sure! Do you really want to?...[:'(]
Old 11-15-2007, 10:25 AM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

With the power you will be getting from the Procharger there is almost no point to running an underdrive pulley. Pulleys only free up a few horsepower while the supercharger will actually add well over 100-200 depending on how extreme you want to go.

Looking at your sig I see that you have an auto outputting 500 horses with 12 psi. I'm planning to by a Procharger myself and I was just wondering if your engine is stock or if you have added strengthened internals or not?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:36 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

What you want to do is swap your crank pulley for a larger one if you want more power. That's what you have to do with s/c's once you have gone down to the smallest pulley size. Once you're at the smallest pulley, then you play what we call 'the crank game' and start messing with crank pulley to get more psi. For every size bigger crank pulley you use, you increase about 2 psi.

Example, on my KB car I see about 21-22 psi max with the 2.5" pulley (which is the smallest KB pulley). I use a Cobra crank pulley, and I see about 23-24 psi. I go even bigger and I can see about 25-27 psi max on this 2.6H.

That procharger is air to air cooled and not very street friendly on the stock motor with big hp. You are playing russian roulette with what you are running right now if you are still on the stock motor...

Old 11-15-2007, 10:54 AM
A1SALEEN
3rd Gear Member

I have a saleen that is procharged... when i bolted mine on i had to take the under drive pulley's off .... the procharger pully is a piggy back pully that is set up for the stock crankshaft pulley...... believe me i tried to keep my underdrives... but the under drive will not bolt up to the .... procharger pully..... and like ford fan boy said.... you don't want to run to much boost on a stock motor...
i'm running 465 rwhp and i think that is pushing it a little .......
Old 11-15-2007, 11:33 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

I would agree with Fordfanboy, you are pushing stock limits with what your doing now. Have you upgraded internals?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:27 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: A1SALEEN

I have a saleen that is procharged... when i bolted mine on i had to take the under drive pulley's off .... the procharger pully is a piggy back pully that is set up for the stock crankshaft pulley...... believe me i tried to keep my underdrives... but the under drive will not bolt up to the .... procharger pully..... and like ford fan boy said.... you don't want to run to much boost on a stock motor...
i'm running 465 rwhp and i think that is pushing it a little .......
How much boost are you running? The reason I ask is that I have found it's not really the 'rwhp' that matters in the 'safe' range. It is more related to boost. He is running 12 psi which I think is russian roulette on the stock motor with any type of FI. I know of a couple guys making close to the 500 range with a good tune on 10 psi and that is pretty safe to IMO.

You're right about the procharger piggyback pulley set-up. That's why with a procharger, you go to N20 for more power after you have exhaustd the smallest blower pulley. (or you go to a bigger F1 unit). If you're Justin Burcham - you do both...lol
Old 11-15-2007, 06:07 PM
ebr
3rd Gear Member

sorry guys sig is not correct anymore blew that set up last nov. i am working on new motor now with a f1-a procharger, built motor , ceramic coated everything the works but what brought this up was i was looking at a elec. water pump and started looking at pulleys and was wondering why i was told by a local shop that underdrive pulleys could not be used on this setup .if i have a seperate pulley to drive the blower. that all being said yes 12 psi was enough to break a rod , put ahole in my block, and lead to ayear of disapointments with the shop i was dealing withon my new set up to make a long story short this is my 2nd built motor this year and i havent even driven the car and the pisons are melted in the first built one!