Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Who knows their tools?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 05:09 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Who knows their tools?

ORIGINAL: 300GT

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Oh no snap on is top of the line......but the price tag will cause your relatives to go broke!
Well I want the best cuz I will have these for a long *** time. I can get a pretty good discount through my internship with Nascar.
Not trying to haze on you or anything - just curious. How is it that you have an internship with Nascar but you know very little about tools? What is it that you do with/for Nascar? Just wondering.

I use Craftsman and Kobalt tools mostly.
I work with them every summer between the school year (only one summer so far). I worked in the motor room and used other guys tools in the room. I just never grew up knowing the names of any of the tools. Just know what they look like and what they do. The internship is to teach me how they operate as a company and how to do the mechanical work. I guess teaching me the "tool terminology" was not high on their priorities. I knew what tool to grab to do all the work just not by name. I am a visual learner I guess.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:27 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Oh no snap on is top of the line......but the price tag will cause your relatives to go broke!
Well I want the best cuz I will have these for a long *** time. I can get a pretty good discount through my internship with Nascar.
Not trying to haze on you or anything - just curious. How is it that you have an internship with Nascar but you know very little about tools? What is it that you do with/for Nascar? Just wondering.

I work with them every summer between the school year (only one summer so far). I worked in the motor room and used other guys tools in the room. I just never grew up knowing the names of any of the tools. Just know what they look like and what they do. The internship is to teach me how they operate as a company and how to do the mechanical work. I guess teaching me the "tool terminology" was not high on their priorities. I knew what tool to grab to do all the work just not by name. I am a visual learner I guess.
Sounds like a cool internship.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:33 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Sounds like a cool internship.
Most fun summer of my life
Old 11-17-2007, 05:44 PM
1550GT
1st Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: 1550GT

The brand you choose is up to you. I have Craftsman and Snap on both. You will use 10mm-18mm and will need them in combo wrench sets and sockets.Sears has a nice set of Craftsman combo wrenches that twist so your hand is always on the flat side of the wrench making it easier on you when you are pressing hard on the wrench. You will also need a torque wrench 1/2 inch size if you are doing suspension mods. Jacks, jack stands and tire chaulks are good to have also. 1/2 inch breaker bar, 18-24 inches long is another good tool to have. A flouroscent drop light is another good tool to have around.

These are tools that you will need. You need metric, thats why I said 10mm-18mm. That range should cover most of the nuts and bolts on the car. Spend your money on tools, not the box. A $30 Craftsman box should hold all the tools you will need to work on your car since you are doing only bolt ons.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:51 PM
ModernMuscle
2nd Gear Member

hey bro, if they buy a box now, craftsman is offering their big box 100$ off, its like 200 bucks.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/v_10153_1...ools?adCell=AH
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_1...nics+Tool+Sets
check those two links., some good deals there.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:25 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

This is what i got....

Craftsman Set

Gets the job done for most everything
Old 11-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Craftsman handtools are definately a good choice. I'm not sure what the price comparison is with Snap-on, but you are still getting a quality tool. Craftmans Mechanic Tools sets range from little itty bitty 11piece sets all the way up to 540 piece sets. Recommend going on Sears.com and looking through their sets. A lot of the kits may be 190 piece sets, but if you look at the pieces 40 of those pieces are going to be allen keys or something. I personally have the 190 piece set, and everything I've done on the car I've been able to do with those tools. The only other tools I got were a longer 3/8 extension, about a 14" to reach the nuts on the manifold/h-pipe flange, and a swivel attachment as well. Craftsman warranties their handtools for life, but do not warranty abuse. Meaning if you cut it inhalf, left it out in the rain and it got rusty, etc. Also, the tools come in a hard case, that fit all of your items so unless you are going to have 10,000 tools, you don't really need a chest. You might need a storage cabinet of sorts for your air tool accessories as they are quite large.

As far as compressor items, not sure.

I have a Digitork Torque Wrench, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...orque+Wrenches

I like it, ease of use... comes in a nice hard case so again storage is easy/protected. Goes up to 250 ft/lbs.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

In regards to sets... Craftsman had a 263 piece on sale for about $150 the other night. They sometimes have some really crazy deals. I think I paid $200 for my 190 pc set.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Note on Compressor if/when you get one: to run impact tools you will need at least a 17 gal or higher tank...pretty big, so make sure you have the shop space for it. Although I would love to have a full set of Snap on or even Kobalt tools, my Craftsman do a fine job for a weekend mechanic. But...not all Sears shop tools are good. I was looking for a floor jack recently and figured I'd go with the Craftsman. I went to Sears website and was checking out the various models they offer. I was ready to buy one (2.5 or 3 ton) and it was even on sale. Then I saw and read the reviews....wow, lots of reviews and almost all of them very negative, and this is on Sears own site...LOL.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

Note on Compressor if/when you get one: to run impact tools you will need at least a 17 gal or higher tank...pretty big, so make sure you have the shop space for it. Although I would love to have a full set of Snap on or even Kobalt tools, my Craftsman do a fine job for a weekend mechanic. But...not all Sears shop tools are good. I was looking for a floor jack recently and figured I'd go with the Craftsman. I went to Sears website and was checking out the various models they offer. I was ready to buy one (2.5 or 3 ton) and it was even on sale. Then I saw and read the reviews....wow, lots of reviews and almost all of them very negative, and this is on Sears own site...LOL.
I bought one of the kids they had on sale. 3 ton, 2 3-ton stands, and a creeper. I gotta say the jack itself was excellent, but it was too heavy-weight for our cars I think. The jack alone was 100 lbs and lugging it around wasn't convienent at all, especially since I didn't have the storage space for it. As far as their other jacks, I don't see how maybe a 2 1/2 will be that bad?

Quick Reply: Who knows their tools?