Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cams - yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 09:16 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: cams - yes or no

With headers then maybe.....those arent cheap either though.....all in you are going to need 2000 in parts to get you to 320 at the wheels IMO.....CMCV would also be recommended to help with airflow
Old 11-17-2007, 09:19 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

hmm...it is seeming like a little bit of a waste. its sounding like a little more performance and a lot of work plus a lot of additional parts like headers and gears and cmcv to make it run better. i love the sound of cams (ive said that way too much), but the amount of performance really doesnt seem worth the time and youre right, 2000+ dollars for a tone. i got corsa mufflers ready to be installed and i think theyll sound pretty good (im in support of the sound clips that ive heard of them). thanks guys for the advice, its been really helpful
Old 11-17-2007, 09:25 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

looks like we've come full circle....

hey, we all love cams and the sound you
can get.....sometimes it's just not worth it
Old 11-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Grabber07Orange
2nd Gear Member

i say some stage 3 comps, nice little noticable rough idle... only thing u need then is an o/r x and slp's... that sounds delicious

Old 11-17-2007, 09:48 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

if you are looking for sound, add an o/r mid pipe to the corsa's, maybe mac prochamber or o/r xpipe and see how you like it, i'm pretty sure you'll be pleased. i always liked the cammed sound too, but its not worth the hassle. i was thinking down the road if i ever go forged internals, for whatever reason, that would be a good time to do cams and heads also, but for now i'm pretty satisfied w/ what i've got (who knows how long that will last).
Old 11-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

If you're aiming towards 320 RWHP I think you can get there.

CAI/Tune, UDP alone should net you 300 RWHP, or close to. From there you just have to decide how you want to get the rest.

Delete plates, O/R pipe, LT Headers, TBs, 1pc Aluminum Driveshaft? Of course you're going to need a combination of those things, but I personally don't like the sound of the car without the cats, and not sure Delete plates are really worth the hassle, etc. LTs are on my list of things, but at the moment I can't afford to spend the $1000-1400 on a good set. ARH, Kooks, or Dynotech.

Granted I have either tested or use only a select few of those listed, I've a pretty good idea of what they are about. Some speculation that the Driveshaft doesn't show much gain on the Dyno, but the idea of a lighter driveshaft, especially 20lbs lighter, is a lot of weight to shed off in the drivetrain.

TBs, that's a touchy subject around here as well. Initially they all sucked, none worked, threw codes... Apparently BBK came out with one that is doing well, but not offering much of a gain on an otherwise stock or slightly modded car. As far as it HURTING power or anything without those big supporting mods, I don't know. It's hard to see how it would, but apparently some people may say so.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:32 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

CMCV are not a hassle.....its just takes an updated tune and maybe 1 hour of your time.....
Old 11-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

They are a hassle when you have to pay extra to get them included in your tune. Or you have to pay this persons rates for the delete plates just to get them to update their existing tune. Plus, considering the work you have to do they aren't worth the gains in my opinion. Some people say... 5hp across the RPM range... Some say you lose some low, gain some high... A lot of mixed information. Plus when you think of the actual design and what they do, it's hard to justify. If we had some research/testing showing a bunch of different things. MPG with/without, etc.. HP with/without. Then it would help me decide... but something that just removes the butterflies.. I can't see it being much of a change.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:09 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=64232

Doug's opinion
Old 11-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: batmobile2005

oh dont worry about the winter driving, ive got some nice snow tires that have seen two winters already and i know when not to floor it in the snow. ive always been really really cautious in the snow with any car and now even much more so with a 2wd rwd car. i want some more power over a cai, maybe 320-330, sounds nice to me, and i absolutely love the cam sound, i just hope it wont render it useless in the snow, like a s/c would. i dont think cams will, but im just waiting for some horror story about it. and id do the installation myself, i have the tools and the help to do it, so if i get the brenspeed package, it would be 1000 dollars i guess. and since the car isnt at an idle when youre cruising on the highway, i guess the interior noise wont be that bad (im worried about my 3 hour trips up north in more snowy areas than i live in, which the majority of my milage on this car comes from, i dont want a pounding headache after the trip haha)

same here..i used to be worried abot driving in the snow but it's not like I'll be rushing all over the place..plus the added weight in the trunk and snow tires,driving cautiously ..theres no reason to worry too much..right?

Quick Reply: cams - yes or no