Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tuning a "no tune" intake quest

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:39 AM
dr350rider
1st Gear Member

Default Tuning a "no tune" intake quest

On a 2005 GT, with no other mods, how much performance is left on the table when tuning for a K&N, AEM or an Airaid w/mvt versus tuning the larger diameter intaks like C&L and JLT? How much performance would be left on the table simply taking the hydrocarbon trap out of the stock box, putting in a K&N drop in filter and getting a tuner and tune from Brenspeed? I'm more into functionality than form but I am gathering information to decide what I want to do. In the searches I've done people seem to crack on the AEM in particular. Does anyone know why that is? Some say it is useless over the stock box. I mention AEM because of the Dryflow filter. It would be easy to clean. The dealer in my area hassled me over my K&N drop in filter when my MAF went out. I put the paper one back in and drove across town to another dealer and had it replaced under warranty. I think the filter oil vs. MAF is a bunch of baloney.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Tuning a "no tune" intake quest

Removing the HCT adds about 3-5 rwhp.Installinga K&Ndrop-infilter andan 89-93 octane tune will add a few more hp.
AftermarketCAI's that do not need a tune develop anywhere from 8-15 rwhp, while CAI + tune packagesmake20-30 rwhp. But the biggest difference between thetune and no-tuneoptions is the elimination of the throttle lag withthe former, which makes the car feel like a completely different animal.
I installed a CAI with an oiled filter in June, 2005(cleaned and re-oiledthis past summer), and have not had a single problem with my MAF sensor.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:59 AM
thewheelman
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I'm new to this Mustang. On my last one, a '92 5.0 LX 5 speed convertible, I just pulled the stock air box and applied a K&N to the intake hose (with adapter, of course). This "tune" thing is new to me, but correct me if I'm wrong--with some exceptions, you have to re-tune the GT engine when you install a hi-po air filter. The "tune" creates warranty problems. Some dealers fuss about the K&N's. Am I correct so far? Ok. Here's the questions--what are the exceptions to the "tune" category? What does the "tune" incorporate? I've installed K&N's on everything I've owned in the last 10 years and rarely does a dealer even make note of it.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

u dont need a tune w/ K&N, but would be better w/ tune. dealers shouldnt hassle you about CAI
Old 11-19-2007, 04:54 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Intake=Fun

Tune= Fun

Intake+Tune=SEX
Old 11-19-2007, 05:56 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 22kart22

Intake=Fun

Tune= Fun

Intake+Tune=SEX
No...

Intake + Tune = 2(Fun)

Old 11-19-2007, 06:12 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Incorrect my friend!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:34 PM
nd4speed

I've got the K&N and ran it without tune for awhile, but when I added the tune.....it was a huge difference
Old 11-20-2007, 01:00 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dr350rider

I think the filter oil vs. MAF is a bunch of baloney.
It's been well proven that an improperly oiled filter will cause your MAF to have incorrect readings. The oils comes off the filter and coats the wire in the MAF. The MAF measures airflow by flowing current through a wire to heat it up. The more air that flows over this wire, the cooler it gets and the more current the MAF has to add to keep the wire at a constant temp. Now, coat that wire that is supposed to be cooled by airflow, and coat it in a fluid that will insulate it from the airflow, and while your at it, make that same substance conductive of electricity in and of itself. Now, factor in the fact that the light oil on the filters, when heated becomes almost like a varnish after a time.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:56 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thewheelman

Ok, I'm new to this Mustang. On my last one, a '92 5.0 LX 5 speed convertible, I just pulled the stock air box and applied a K&N to the intake hose (with adapter, of course). This "tune" thing is new to me, but correct me if I'm wrong--with some exceptions, you have to re-tune the GT engine when you install a hi-po air filter. The "tune" creates warranty problems. Some dealers fuss about the K&N's. Am I correct so far? Ok. Here's the questions--what are the exceptions to the "tune" category? What does the "tune" incorporate? I've installed K&N's on everything I've owned in the last 10 years and rarely does a dealer even make note of it.
Aftermarket filter elementsandcertain CAI's(C&L "no-tune", K&N, and AirRaid/Roush) do not require a new tune, even though they flow more air and develop more power than the stock setup.This isbecausethese options do not changethe stock ID of the MAF tube, whichlimits themaximum volume of air that can flow thru the intake at WOT, and thuskeeps the A/F ratios within the design parameters of the stock tune. The ID of the MAF tube on the K&N CAIis the same as the stock intake's ID, andthe other 2CAI's havesleeveswith ID's the same as stock(Note: The sleeves are removable if the owner wants to install a tune).
Installing a new tunein addition to either of these options now allows the engine to produceeven more power, sincethe tune'sWOT A/F ratio isleaner thanstock. Also, tunes can be designedfor octanes that are higher than the stock tune's 87 octane, which allows for more advanced timing, and produces even more power. Plus, as I mentioned in my previous post, a tune eliminates the frustrating throttle lag.
On the other hand, if one installs a CAI with an MAF tube ID that's larger than stock, orremoves the sleeve from a "no tune" CAI, thenthe much higher airflow willcause the design parameters of the stock tune's A/F ratios to be exceeded. This will cause an excessively lean A/F mixture, and result in poor driveability, CEL's, and/or possible engine damage. A tune that's designed for the higher airflowsnot only prevents these from happening, but it also develops more power than the above optionsdue to themuch greatervolume of air and fuel going thru the engine per unit time.
Plus, the handheld tuner can be used to change different parameters, like timing, A/F, max rpm, max speed, axle ratio, tire diameter, octane selection, etc. And it can also be used to troubleshoot CEL's anddata log. A very handy tool.
If you're concerned about a tune affecting warranty issues, thenthe stock tune and intake can be reinstalled before taking the car to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Tuning a "no tune" intake quest