Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

difference from switching to royal purple synthetics?

Old 11-20-2007, 09:50 AM
ProCrsh
1st Gear Member

Default RE: difference from switching to royal purple synthetics?

im glad this forum was started up cause im lookin to do an oil change soon and was lookin to switch to RP but now reading this, i dont know. i do have a few buddies in the mechanics feilds i never heard them say anything bad about RP, they usually recommend it to other. im not arguing this topic jus imputing but i have one buddy who runs a 91 fox body5.0 supercharged w/ close to 500rwhp and he uses RP in the motor and driveline. i would really like to know more about this topic. anymore input would be great

Vinny
Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

I'm just saying, to be safe, get regular oil tests every now and then during oil changes. Its easy and cheap.

Now when u say "impressed with results", what do mean? their butt dyno? You really have to try out all the synthetics out there to really know for yourself. Amsoil, German Castrol, ENEOS, Penzoil, M1, etc etc. Dont stick to just one oil and believe that its the one and true oil. Most of the hype from Royal Purple is their ability to market the product. But when it comes to technical comparison tests, they have nothing to show for it except dyno numbers, which is usually not the item of interest when the job of oil is to properly lubricate and prevent excessive engine wear. They fail to mention the "other leading synthetics"'s names.

If want dyno test results between many different oils, http://www.searchforparts.com/import..._dynometer.php

Just do a google search. Of course Royal Purple says they are better. But the search also found some references that said some engine manufacturers (Cummins) have actually came out AGAINST RP saying there ingrediants are harmful. Rngine damage in Cummins with RP because it contains moly, which is very common in greases. It has the the potential to come out of suspension in high heat and actually form into a graphite like substance causing engine damage. Diesel engines are most suseptable to this because of their higher operating temp. I do not know of any other syn or mineral oils that use moly.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:20 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i switched to mobil 1 full synthetic at 2500 miles and noted it ran smoother and a little quieter, i went to mobil 1 bc it was cheaper than RP. but i've heard only good things about RP. i think RP and mobil 1 are both great choices. theres nothing wrong w/ wanting the best for your stang.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:00 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

Like intakes, UDPs, and mail tunes, etc, I think this falls into the personal preference category. On a n/a block that operates at normal temperature, and is a daily driver, any synthetic will probably do the trick. Something most people don't think about is that Royal Purple has also their race oil which is not API certified. Don't get the two confused, their regular Motor Oils are API certified and do meet Ford's standards. We had a pretty big discussion about this back in like March I believe.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Although I've been using Mobil1 in my SUV for the past 135,000 miles (10,000 miles between oil and filter changes)and am very happy with it,I put Amsoil in the Stang with an Amsoil filter at 2500 miles. I have almost 8,000 miles in 4 months on the Amsoil oil and filter and am taking a 1,000 mile round trip beginning tomorrow. I have absolutely NO concerns about this oil and filter. I was involved in ferrographic oil analysis a few years ago and I'm comfortable going at least 10,000 miles oneither oil and filter. Go ahead and flame me. I've logged over 500,000 miles on numerous vehicles with a history of 10,000 mile oil and filter change frequency using Mobil1 and Fram filters (nowFRAM I'll take a flaming for...) and most of my vehicles went over 200,000 miles and NONE of them used or burned oil or had any compression problems. Spend your money as you see fit. I'll continue to use Amsoil in the Stang and Mobil1 in the SUV at my current change frequencies.

Oh, yeah, this was about RP, wasn't it? From what I've read, I'd be a bit leary considering there are other quality oils out there.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:15 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

can someone who've used RP for a lengthy period of time do an oil analysis? It will show you if the oil is holding up, as well as any excess wear and tear.

i have yet to hear from people who have used RP to crack open their motors and describe their bearings and internals. All i hear is "it feels great". You could say that with any synthetic.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Melectrok
2nd Gear Member

I have decided to change the trans and diff to royal purple myself. However, in refernce to the diff, doI still need to add the friction modifier that came from the shop when I had my rear gear changed? The royal purple says it has the additive but the shop told me to put the modifier in no matter what.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Tigercat
1st Gear Member

Has anybody here had any experiance running it in the manual tranny I hear that it gives it smoother easier less notchy shift feel ?
Old 05-03-2008, 10:21 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Yes, if you have the stock trac lok diff, put the modifier in anyway, it won't hurt.

I'm using all 3 oils as a matter of fact. I have Mobil 1 in the crankcase, Amsoil in the trans, and RP in the diff.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

All the name brand synthetics are probably good, especially if you change them reasonably soon. Don't want to be called a heritic, but I sincerely doubt if you'll be able to "notice" a difference with any oil. The only way you will notice anything is the "Gee, I paid a lot for this stuff, it must be better" syndrome. The difference will be in the long run, with wear and how clean your engine stays, and how well it starts on a cold morning.
I used to use Mobil 1 and recently after reading all the "numbers", I switched to Amsoil. Do I "feel" the difference? No.
I do use RP SyncroMax in my tranny and Redline in the rear End. I just like them. Just my $.02 worth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: difference from switching to royal purple synthetics?