Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SLP vs Pypes

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:21 AM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: SLP vs Pypes

I have the same setup (O/R X and Pypes MM). I am having issues with a rattle around 1100 RPM and can't find it for the life of me. If you find yours let me know we may have the same issue. Sometimes it sounds like it's in the trunk but others it sounds right under me at the mufflers. It's so hard to tell in a unibody it rattles all through the damn car.

ORIGINAL: VerginaStang

At first I thought the SLP's were a lot louder than the pypes system but now I dont really feel that way. Its either A) Ive gotten used to the pypes system, or B) its breaking in. I think it might be a combo of both. There are advantages/disadv. of both systems:
Pypes MM sounds better than any muffler system I've heard (and ive heard pretty much all except boomtubes in person) BUT installation is a BITCH to say the least. (I still have some rattles but I havnt yet diagnosed the problem so it might be an easy fix).
SLP's are too loud if you plan to do anything else to the exhaust system. The pypes mm system is LOUD with an O/R H but definately bearable and sounds AMAZING.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:27 AM
jwbrown21
2nd Gear Member

DROCK AND SHARPSHOOTER... I too have the Pypes MM system.. I had the same rattle and have found the problem(however not fixed it yet). My proble was at the very last hanger. The part of the exhaust that goes into the hanger is too long and under some pressure vibrates against another peice of hanger.. if you will just get under the rear of your car and look where the last hanger is I would be willing to bet it is somewhere alond the same lines.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:37 AM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

I thought the same thing. I took a torch and bent the rod to keep it further away from the hanger thinking it might be rubbing but that wasn't it. hopefully that is all it is for y'all but for me the hunt continues.[:@]
Old 11-21-2007, 02:45 PM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: whtcanbrwnd04u

ORIGINAL: UrS4

I had SLP LM and then went to an O/R X and then switched to the pypes MM system. Granted I have the added volume of the O/R pipe but I would say the MM system is NOT as loud as the LM alone. LM are just straight pipe, the MM system are bullit mufflers.

Seriously people, if you have no mufflers (ie. SLP LM) and you ditch the cats, you will not like it. It is nasty loud and has a NASTIER trumpeting sound in the low rpms.

How do you like the Pypes MM System + O/R H-Pipe?
OK I will help with this one<<<
I recently put the Pypes Mid muffler by Cervini's with an O R H Pipe and the side exit exhaust on my 07 GT. It was so loud and bad *** sounding I have yet to hear anything comparable. But I did find the exact souding car on you tube Here is the link

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VW5-zDk6kcI

This is EXACTLY what my car sounded like. AWESOME but way to much for a daily driver. IMO<< I had to put the Catted H pipe back on to tone it down and it is now perfect for me. These are Pypes mid mufflers with side exit exhaust.
Quality casing polished and the welds are very nice. Good luck
Old 11-21-2007, 04:28 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

To the guys with the pypes MM system and the low rpm rattle. I had that same rattle too, it wasn't tinny, it was metal on metal. Got under the car and even though the last hanger was about 1/2 inch away from the hanger mount, that was where the rattle was coming from. Fixed it by welding in a new hanger hook. However, now that it is cold, I have a new rattle, metal on metal. Haven't got under the car but from what I remember, the only thing it could be is on the drivers side where the exhaust pipe goes over the panhard brace, there is less that 1/4 inch gap. The way I will fix that is with a new panhard brace (CHE) cause I have the system welded and adjusted that section of pipe and having the tips still lined up would be a bitch.

Also remember guys that the band clamp design that comes with most of these aftermarket exhaust tend to loosen and need to be retightened, which could be the source of some rattles.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:22 AM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

I used to have loudmouth - too raspy, switched to flowmasters - too quiet, switched to Pypes mid muffler - LOUD and sounds AMAZING. You dont understand how many complements ive gotten with this exhaust. People love it, it sound sick dude, no joke. I have SLP long tubes and a high flow tiny cat xpipe. sounds awesome, i wouldnt have it any other way.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:24 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

1100 RPMs.... THATS THE SAME RATTLE. I think I had this rattle with my SLP's and fixed it the same way an above poster said.... the passenger side tip doesnt look like it touches but under some load it does. It is absolutely driving me INSANE. With the windows up and the radio off I can hear it every time... windows down and radio on, nothing- too bad its winter [:@]
For me, its just a matter of getting under the car and checking it out. Hopefully one of us will get a chance to look at it soon.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Not to highjack, anyone wanna help me decipher what kindof exhaust mine has, its 2.5 inch from the manifolds back, 2 highflow cats, H pipe and no mufflers, chrome slash tips. I bought the car with it on, but its a full exhaust from the manifolds back, sounds amazing and gets a lot of attention. The kit is mandrelbent, and no sloppy welds. -Jon