Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple H.O. kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:52 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple H.O. kit

ORIGINAL: 08Steeda

8 PSI is what the Steeda guys are telling me. Any more than that and you have to do internals.
Not true
Old 11-28-2007, 07:15 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

A guy on M0dularfords.com had his whippled gt dyno tuned in Texas and made 534rwhp on the 3.375 pulley! He had full exhaust though, long tubes and max boost was 10.5psi. He said the air was really good, but damn that's a lot of power. He also had 52# injectors instead of the 38#.

Yes the whipple HO is a 10psi kit.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

maybe everything is bigger in Texas those numbers are big!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:27 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

ahh haha another whipple crew member.

We boom's are being outnumbered![:'(]
Old 11-28-2007, 08:00 PM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

OK GUYS, My local tuner who is a mustang tuner Dyno center 454 Dyno in Covington La, and a Ford Saleen reconized installer along with being a SCT tuner station. They are telling me 4 to 5 pounds of boost is plenty for 430 - 450 at the rear wheels. He doesn't reccomend 9 or 10 lbs like I see everyone running on these boards. Help me understand why. I see so many of you out there running more with no problems and stock internals.
I asked about a HO Whipple and was told aH.O. Whipple is the same as the standard except with a different pulley.
Also, I was going with to go with a Saleen but I sad WTF I am going to go Whipple or KB because of future possibilities of upgrading in the far future. SO that being said is a Whipple easy to upgrade to the HO? I was told it is just a pulley to do that? also I was told that under 10 LBS of boost I dont need to intercool. More of a weight thing in the front of the car. If I later upgrade to a bigger pulley then I can go with an intercooler. I am getting ready to do this around January 3rd and really need to answer all of my questions. And I am taking All opinions, Good and bad. let me have them.

Thanks,
SEAN///TASSY5
Old 11-28-2007, 08:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You aren't going to make 430rwhp with only 5#'s of boost. If it were possible then everyone would be doing it. I wouldn't go to that tuner. There are only two whipple kits, except for their auto options. There's the non-intercooled kit with 6psi pulley and the HO intercooled kit with 10psi pulley. The non-intercooled kit doesn't come with GT500 fuel pumps or any of the intercooler components. it will cost you an extra $1,000 to buy the HO kit, but it will cost you $1700 for the intercooler upgrade kit if you go with the non-intercooled whipple and upgrade it later.

The HO whipple with whipples tune will yield anywhere from 440rwhp to 480+rwhp, keep in mind these numbers are from different cars, different dynos, different conditions, etc. It's very possible that with the same dyno and same conditions, every whippled gt will dyno the same +or- 10hp. You can always use a 8psi pulley to lower the power if you are worried about stock parts breaking, but i've yet to hear of a whippled gt blowing an engine using the whipple tune.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:32 PM
FREAKO
2nd Gear Member

not to change the subject.....but does the PCM flash tool that comes with the Whipple HO kit.....does it just re-flash for the blower tune or does it have the ability to change axle ratios/tire combos....if, lets say, you wanted to run a different gear than stock?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:41 AM
08Steeda
3rd Gear Member

I have spoken with the some of the Ford Racing guys as well as the vehicle program engineer for the 08 Cobra, as well as the engineer from Steeda (Who does the Steeda thing part time, he works for Ford on the Mustang as well) and they both said 8 PSI is all that they would recommend without doing some internals. Yes, it is erring on the side of caution but these guys live and breath this car and are a couple of the authorities on these engine's.

I trust them! PersonallyI don't want to replace any internals because I blew something up. I might do it at some point for the performance upgrade.

Steeda and Whipple are working together to come out with the 2008 model now. They have a couple of proto-types but have not completed their testing yet.

P.S.
I live near and work as a consultant for Ford periodically. I live in south-eastern Michigan, less than 5 miles from the plant where the Mustang is built. I wrote a software application for the plant floor a couple years ago and even have a badge that lets me into the plant.I also have friends and fellow church members who are engineers at Ford for various programs(although not nearly as many of which are still with Ford!). Plus my kid goes to school with one of the Mustang Program Managers. She worked on the GT500 and is now in the design/engineering phase for the 2009 or 2010 Mustang.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:54 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FREAKO

not to change the subject.....but does the PCM flash tool that comes with the Whipple HO kit.....does it just re-flash for the blower tune or does it have the ability to change axle ratios/tire combos....if, lets say, you wanted to run a different gear than stock?
The tuner only loads the tune, but you can get the turn done for whatever gear ratio you are using, same with tires. That's the one thing I don't like about the whipple kit, but I guess it would have cost them to much to use sct tuners or others.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:00 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 08Steeda

I have spoken with the some of the Ford Racing guys as well as the vehicle program engineer for the 08 Cobra, as well as the engineer from Steeda (Who does the Steeda thing part time, he works for Ford on the Mustang as well) and they both said 8 PSI is all that they would recommend without doing some internals. Yes, it is erring on the side of caution but these guys live and breath this car and are a couple of the authorities on these engine's.

I trust them! PersonallyI don't want to replace any internals because I blew something up. I might do it at some point for the performance upgrade.

Steeda and Whipple are working together to come out with the 2008 model now. They have a couple of proto-types but have not completed their testing yet.

P.S.
I live near and work as a consultant for Ford periodically. I live in south-eastern Michigan, less than 5 miles from the plant where the Mustang is built. I wrote a software application for the plant floor a couple years ago and even have a badge that lets me into the plant.I also have friends and fellow church members who are engineers at Ford for various programs(although not nearly as many of which are still with Ford!). Plus my kid goes to school with one of the Mustang Program Managers. She worked on the GT500 and is now in the design/engineering phase for the 2009 or 2010 Mustang.
Wow! That's all very impressive, but unless you have actual evidence of a blown engine on a whippled gt using the stock whipple tune, then it means very little.

Quick Reply: Whipple H.O. kit