Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

No Traction at all outa the box

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:28 AM
07smoke

Default No Traction at all outa the box

First trip to Atco Dragway (Friday after Thanksgiving) after I had 4:10 gears and Steeda LCA installed! It was cold 34 degrees and I was hoping to improve my ET greatly with my new mods. I run 13.75 @ 104 MPH regularly. (spinning tires off the line) Stock Tires (25 lbs air in the rear) First run I left the Traction Control on and took it easy slipping the clutch out at 2500 RPM's. ET 13.8 @ 103, Second pass Traction Control off, and launched at 2500 RPM's spinning the tires for about the first 15 ft. when I hit second gear the tires spun hard and the rear end came around, lucky I was able to save it, forget the ET on this one.That was it for me for the night. Who runs MT ET Street's or MT ET Street Radials???What do I have to do to get this car to hook up????
Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: No Traction at all outa the box

Several things, not clue what mods you have except for lcas and the gears but....

1. Stock tire suck
2. Take traction control off
3. Its cold, the tires will not grip when its cold period

You need new tires and really warmer weather wouldnt hurt in the traction dept.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 AM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

did you heat up the tires before the run? I notice that if I do a little burn out before running that the car will hook up better.

howarmat- what is the best tire to use year around on the stock rim?
Old 11-29-2007, 10:28 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07smoke

First trip to Atco Dragway (Friday after Thanksgiving) after I had 4:10 gears and Steeda LCA installed! It was cold 34 degrees and I was hoping to improve my ET greatly with my new mods. I run 13.75 @ 104 MPH regularly. (spinning tires off the line) Stock Tires (25 lbs air in the rear) First run I left the Traction Control on and took it easy slipping the clutch out at 2500 RPM's. ET 13.8 @ 103, Second pass Traction Control off, and launched at 2500 RPM's spinning the tires for about the first 15 ft. when I hit second gear the tires spun hard and the rear end came around, lucky I was able to save it, forget the ET on this one.That was it for me for the night. Who runs MT ET Street's or MT ET Street Radials???What do I have to do to get this car to hook up????
Hey, i think i was there. I know i went to atco sunday for the ford vs. buick. where i ran my best of 13.40@104 BONE STOCK. What is your 60ft? Ive gotten my down to a 2 flat w/ my street tires on a cold nite and i got one 1.9 once.

Just to tell you what i do:

I lower my rear tirse to 19psi and up my fronts to 40.

Alot of people tell you not to do a burnout w/ street tires but i think you should do a small one for two reasons. One, when you have a cold tire like said b4 me, it will not hook. You'll wheel hop everywhere.second if you go to atco, you have to go through the water box.

So do a lil burnout(i stop when i see lil smoke)

rev up to about 2 1/2 rpm and "feather" it out (this may take some pratice), its kinda like letting go of it quickly but not dropping it. I tend to hold it atits grabing piontfor like a split sec.

good luck
Old 11-29-2007, 10:28 AM
BUGT
1st Gear Member

ive never gotten a good hook in really cold weather
Old 11-29-2007, 10:29 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Any tire that is a summer tire will not grip at all in the winter at the track.....I think the f1 all season a good for all year round if you do not want to switch tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+F1+All+Season

Honestly for track use I am not sure what would work best, i think you would need to find different tires al together...not sure though

i know my KDW2s starting loosing grip around 40 degrees, i got some kumho asx and cobra r rims for winter....i wont be driving in the snow, that is what the truck is for but i would like to take the car out when its nice out and still get traction.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:33 AM
07smoke

My mods are C&L CAI, SCT Tuner (Brenspeed 93) Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Shift Light (set at 6200 RPM'S), 4:10 gears and Steeda LCRS, Thanks for the help !
Old 11-29-2007, 10:37 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

wow, you should be fast than me. try it my way for once...you might be surprise. I'm also on summer tires (kumho)

what is ur 60ft?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:57 AM
07smoke

My 60 ft times are all over 2,... Johnnyv8 it was cold that Friday night. The very first car to run that night was a red 04, the guys there all the time (turbo) runs 13.2 usually he ran like 12.90 his fastest time. but by the time I got up the track was slick. Where you from?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:07 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

M&H Racemasters for a 17" rim hands down. Paul (psfracer) cuts high 1.4 / low 1.5' 60's with those and drives them on the street everyday. They don't make an 18" yet or I'd have them on my car and when they do I'll make the switch but for a 17" rim, they are the sheeet...

Quick Reply: No Traction at all outa the box