Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

rear gears and udp???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 04:05 PM
soldier boy
1st Gear Member

Default rear gears and udp???

Ok I am thinking of getting gears and UDP's got a few questions. First whats the big difference between the stock pulley and the steeda pulley that makes 10 more h.p... And as for the gears Im still new to this but the higher the gears go up the lower the gear is right? Like a 3.55 is a more top end compared to a 4.10 being more lower geared for faster acceleration right ? I am thinking about getting the 3.90 gears from brenspeed they are the most expensive though but I dont care I think that will be the right one but hey what do I know lol... I need some opinions and if you all have a guesstimate on install for either... Thanks guys Im still in iraq and plan on getting as soon as I get home which is really soon .....
Old 12-01-2007, 06:30 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: rear gears and udp???

Go with 4.10s and UDP and you won't regret it, trust me!

Just be safe out there.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Yea, go with the 4.10s. They are so common. Very few people have 3.90s.

Gears and install should be in the $520-$600 range (thats for FRPP gears, not Motive -which are a bit cheaper).

I have not installed the UDPs but what I know: Lighter weight hence its easier for the engine to spin. I also believe it is a smaller diameter thus it turns alternator, etc at a slower speed, again less work for the motor. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:55 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

You are mostly right, Argonaut. The UDP's are a smaller crankshaft pulley and a larger water pump pulley. The smaller crank pulley turns all the accessories about 25% slower, they say. That is the power steering, air conditioner compressor, water pump, etc. It takes less horsepopwer to turn them slower, so basically you get that horsepower as the increase. This happens from idle all the way up. I plan to do this on my car, maybe next spring.

With gearing, the higher numerically the number, the engine revs quicker and accelerates faster, but top speed is usually reduced and you turn more rpm on the highway. Say, 4.30
The lower numerically the number, the engine revs slower and accelerates slower and may have a higher top speed. You will turn less rpm on the highway. Say, 3.55
The trick is to get a compromise that is liveable if your car is a daily driver. I all you do is drag race it, then optimize your gears for acceleration.
It is confusing because people say they are gearing lower or gearing it down when they are increasing the number that represents the ratio. In other words, low gears are better for acceleration and higher gears are better for highway cruising. Think of it like your transmission is- you take off in low gear, then get to high gear for speed.

Frank
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-01-2007, 10:57 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Pully install is easy to do. 6 bolts out, a pulley puller and 6 bolts in and it's done. It works by changing the mechanical advantage (by changing it's size) the crank pulley has over the rest of the pullies it drives. More mechanical Advantage means it works less to turn the rest of them. It's weight is close to the same as stock, as the crank pulley is also the vibrational dampener on the S197.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:25 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

First, let me thank you for your service to our country, I am one who believes if they're looking over their shoulders trying to stay alive it's hard to plan doing harm to us. I think the gears are the top upgrade you can do, and the 3.90's would be a great choice. Just make sure you have a really good shop do the install. If you are going to go with a S/C someday then save the money on the udp's, an electric water pump will do the same and you can use it with the Saleen S/C. Once again thank you for your service, I know it is a difficult task, but I think a plus if we can get some democratic governments established in the mid-east.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:27 PM
soldier boy
1st Gear Member

yeah bro I agree about the governments but man between Iran and russia thing are becoming a pain ... not really helping at all but we need these countrys to progress in order to get this planet on track....these third world countrys are just so far behind compared to us and the rest of the world... I dunno something deffineatly need done over here and the surrounding areas ... I do plan on putting a supper charger on my baby so u think its a waste in getting the udp's huh if im going that route ? so the gears are a good idea how about the difference on highway driving does it make you run alot higher rpms at like 65 i travel alot when im back home...
Old 12-02-2007, 01:56 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

The 4.10's will definetly add some rpm's on the highway, around 200 to 300 at 65mph, really not that bad. The 3.90's I think are a great choice. If I had it todo again that's what I would go with. If you haven't done any suspension work I would recommend some lower control arms and brackets and some sticky tires for the back. My buddy went with the Nitto's 305-35-18's 555R's. Mickey Thompson should be out with their new 18" tires now. If you go with a S/C you'll definetly need the lca and brackets plus the sticky tires. Give Brent a call at Brenspeed when you get back, he has some good deals on the Saleens. Someone could probably give you the exact rpm difference on the highway. I would, but its raining and I don't take my car out in the rain. Good luck and be safe.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:20 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

go w/ the 4.10's, and get FRPP, and if you are going FI later then the UDP's will have to come out then but if you're staying NA then the UDP's would be good.

oh and boomtubes FTW!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: phatphil

The 4.10's will definetly add some rpm's on the highway, around 200 to 300 at 65mph, really not that bad.
even if you are running in the gear up then what you are supposed to? why not just roll in 4th or 5th on the freeway and just downshift when needed?

Quick Reply: rear gears and udp???