Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hey I need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:39 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Default Hey I need some advice.

So for christmas I either want a 4.10 gear and install, or a 2" drop with the eibach.

I have the x-cal2 from the tune, so I figure I can recallibrate the speedo with that...Just have to find out how.

Besides for the gears from brenspeed, what else do I need to swith to 4.10's? Any hardware?

Keep in mind a speedshop would do all the install... Do I need anything else?

thanks again!
Old 12-01-2007, 07:54 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hey I need some advice.

nothing at all...just go get it done...the shop will have should have all the shims for the gear install...just royal purple I would suggest
Old 12-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

There is an installation kit, its about $40 bucks. But I'd assume your shop will have that on hand if they do a lot of Ford rear ends. Also note that the gears Brenspeed sells are Motive not FRPP. Now there are a lot of opinions on this but the prevailing one is you want the FRPP parts (even though apparently some of the FRPP gears are made by Motive). Go figure...but with the number of gear whine nightmares I've read I searched out authentic FRPP gears.

2 in drop - thats pretty low, get ready to scrape.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:49 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i vote for the 4.10's. you'll notice a better accelleration. you need the gears, the install kit (mine was like 70- 80 bucks), the gear oil, AND the friction additive. make sure you get the FRPP gears and not motive, ive heard motives might whine. the adjustment on my livewire was very simple, just select the gear within the tune, but dont know exactly about the xcal2. and you may want to get the differential cover i think its less than $100 and looks better than the plain stock one. and then change the gear oil and friction additive after 500 mile break in. after 500 miles mine was a little dirty.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:25 AM
baha
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onederful100

i vote for the 4.10's. you'll notice a better accelleration. you need the gears, the install kit (mine was like 70- 80 bucks), the gear oil, AND the friction additive. make sure you get the FRPP gears and not motive, ive heard motives might whine. the adjustment on my livewire was very simple, just select the gear within the tune, but dont know exactly about the xcal2. and you may want to get the differential cover i think its less than $100 and looks better than the plain stock one. and then change the gear oil and friction additive after 500 mile break in. after 500 miles mine was a little dirty.
+1 i had my (Motive gears) installed 3 days ago and what a difference!! i can barley hear the noise coming from the gears, Why? 'cause the exhaust sounds higher!

onerful100thanks for the advice. i didn't know that i had to change the oil after the 500 mile break-in.

Hey 22kart22 As for adjustment for 4.10s i gotmine already calibrated from Brenspeed but you can check their Tech section in the website, there is a video showing exactly how to do it.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:24 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 22kart22

So for christmas I either want a 4.10 gear and install, or a 2" drop with the eibach.

I have the x-cal2 from the tune, so I figure I can recallibrate the speedo with that...Just have to find out how.

Besides for the gears from brenspeed, what else do I need to swith to 4.10's? Any hardware?

Keep in mind a speedshop would do all the install... Do I need anything else?

thanks again!
You should be able to find the gear selection in the menu for your tuner. Here's a tip, take this time to check the revs per mile of your tires and enter that number (get it from the manufacturer NOT an online calcuation).

After my gear change my speedometer was WAAAAY off even after programing for the 3.73 gears. It turns out whatever SCT programmed as "stock" for the revs per mile was anything but.

Otherwise, your shop should have everything else. In addition to using a good gear oil, you might want to think about adding a nice differential cover while you're at it. I kind of wish I had done that when my gears were done.

The best wisdom you'll find from any of the hundreds and hundreds of gear threads on here are:

1) 3.73 auto, 4.10 manual
2) Use FRPP Gears
3) Your average gas mileage will decline about 2 MPG with gears listed above.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:25 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: baha

ORIGINAL: onederful100

onerful100thanks for the advice. i didn't know that i had to change the oil after the 500 mile break-in.
I changed mine after 500 miles, but to be honest, it looked like brand new oil.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:22 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Never changed mine....shop said it would be fine
Old 12-02-2007, 02:00 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

To change oil or not to change oil, that is the question!!

I'm puzzled!!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:29 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

So I am confused. How do I calculate the revs/mile? Isn't the x-cal set up to do the math?

Quick Reply: Hey I need some advice.