Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MIL Eliminators and emissions test?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:07 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Default MIL Eliminators and emissions test?

So what exactly will happen if I run MIL eliminators and try to go through emissions? Does it tell their computer that everything is ok? Or will they be able to detect them and fail the car?

I plan to run the Kooks setup with the cats, but Brenspeed said there's still a good chance I will fail emissions with that setup. They also said I could get a Check Engine Light.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:44 AM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: MIL Eliminators and emissions test?

I had MILeliminators on my zx2 for a few years and passed emissions without a cat. The MIL, I had,was basically a resistor that low the voltage the o2 sensor would send to the computer. The computer received the cat is working voltage, and didn’t know there was anything wrong. So, when the emission place scan my car everything was okay. I think MIL work the same way here.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 AM
majustin1
2nd Gear Member

You should fail. The MILs should cut off the cat o2 sensors. The test is not the same as before. The new test verifies to see that all o2 sensors are working and that is the test you would fail. It prints our a piece of paper saying if all of the equipment is functioning properly, and MILs should make you fail.
I am going through something similar with Brenspeeds tune. I live in an emmisions county and their tune cuts off the rear o2 sensor (for the cats) and i new it would fail. I ran it through and sure enough it did.
The check engine light I recieved was when I returned car to stock and drove it through a drive cycle with the CAI still on. I did not get on it to lean it out too much, but it was still too much air and the air/fuel set off the check engine. Why Bspeed said you should get a check engine light is beyond me THE POINT OF THE MILS IS TO CUT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OFF WHEN REMOVING THE SENSORS. if it doesnt then their product is useless. But i trust them and would believe their opinion. You dont want to buy a 1200 setup and then have to sell it because you cant get emmisions approval.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:11 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

I believe the function of MIL eliminators is to send the ECU a false signal that the rear O2 sensors are reading a correct emissions. however, i had experience w/ MIL's w/ my rear O2 sensors on and it gave me a reading that both banks were slow to read, so i had to turn off the rear O2's and then it was fine. i think in theory they should work, but i've heard sometimes they dont.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:57 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: majustin1

You should fail. The MILs should cut off the cat o2 sensors. The test is not the same as before. The new test verifies to see that all o2 sensors are working and that is the test you would fail. It prints our a piece of paper saying if all of the equipment is functioning properly, and MILs should make you fail.
I am going through something similar with Brenspeeds tune. I live in an emmisions county and their tune cuts off the rear o2 sensor (for the cats) and i new it would fail. I ran it through and sure enough it did.
The check engine light I recieved was when I returned car to stock and drove it through a drive cycle with the CAI still on. I did not get on it to lean it out too much, but it was still too much air and the air/fuel set off the check engine. Why Bspeed said you should get a check engine light is beyond me THE POINT OF THE MILS IS TO CUT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OFF WHEN REMOVING THE SENSORS. if it doesnt then their product is useless. But i trust them and would believe their opinion. You dont want to buy a 1200 setup and then have to sell it because you cant get emmisions approval.
Brenspeed didn't say the MILs would give me a Check Engine Light, they said the high-flow cats might. I was hoping the MILs would fool the car into thinking everything was ok, and more importantly, fool the emissions computer.

Hasanyone who has them gone through emissions??? (on S197)
Old 12-05-2007, 01:18 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: majustin1

This is completely backwards.

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84
Brenspeed didn't say the MILs would give me a Check Engine Light, they said the high-flow cats might. I was hoping the MILs would fool the car into thinking everything was ok, and more importantly, fool the emissions computer.

Hasanyone who has them gone through emissions??? (on S197)
This is correct, the mils should send teh correct voltage so you car/emmissions test see that the cats are there with proper readings.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:44 PM
majustin1
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for setting that straight. If i am wrong, i must have misinterpreted something from dave.I dont exaclty see how the MILs could send a false signal, when the tune from Brenspeed doesnt. If you pull the trigger on this please post and let us know if it works, because i would love to add some exhaust mods.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:51 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

The Brenspeed tune turns off the readings from the rear 02s, you will fail since it will show the rear O2s off and no sending a signal. The signal is a simple 0-5 voltage i think, and when the mils are installed they will send a signal exactly like the rear O2s do if they are not shut off and funtioning properly so this allows the computer on the car and hopefully emissions test to think that the cats are just like stock cats
Old 12-05-2007, 04:25 PM
majustin1
2nd Gear Member

Well if that is the case, please post if you buy and how the emmisions go because i have been wanting an O/R H to compliment the MACs. I live in NC and have to deal with Surry County's emmisions testing.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:53 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

The Brenspeed tune turns off the readings from the rear 02s, you will fail since it will show the rear O2s off and no sending a signal. The signal is a simple 0-5 voltage i think, and when the mils are installed they will send a signal exactly like the rear O2s do if they are not shut off and funtioning properly so this allows the computer on the car and hopefully emissions test to think that the cats are just like stock cats
I don't think the tune turns off the rear sensors, otherwise they wouldn't have told me I would get a Check Engine Light.I think you have to ask them for a new tune with the sensors turned off, and instead of automatically failing with the sensors off, I'd rather run the MILs and try to fool them....if it can be done.

Quick Reply: MIL Eliminators and emissions test?