Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger ?s - Plugs, high octane ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:23 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger ?s - Plugs, high octane ?

thanks for the advice, I will go with the plugs and 91 octane !
Old 12-05-2007, 02:33 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: desslok40

thanks for the advice, I will go with the plugs and 91 octane !
Good to hear and like hammeron said, keep us posted and good luck
Old 12-05-2007, 02:52 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

Higher octane fuel is only better if your motor needs it.
If you are stock, then you don't need it. If you are aggressively tuned, have a high compression ratio and/or you are running boost - then you need higher octane.
Higher octane fuel is simply harder to combust than lower octane fuel. So 87 octane will combust easier than 93 octane.
Pre-detonation (pinging) is caused by your air-fuel mixture igniting BEFORE it should. It is lighting from either compression or a highly advanced timing setting. Pre-detonation can put a hole right through your cheap little pistons.
If you use 93 octane it will be farless likely to pre-detonate than 87 octane fuel. The 93 octane won't make you faster. It will just allow your motor to run correctly with more compression (boost adds compression to cylinder) or more timing advance.
So if you are going to join the forced induction club, you may want to re-consider your feeling about the fuel you use. The extra 5 bucks you spend may keep your motor in one piece.
I run 100 octane all the time because I am at 11 PSI on the stock bottom end.
This is good, correct information. I would just like to add that running a higer octane than is necessary over a prolonged period of timeWILL NOT burn cleaner, and WILL leave carbon deposits due to unburned fuel.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:57 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: breathegood

This is good, correct information. I would just like to add that running a higer octane than is necessary over a prolonged period of timeWILL NOT burn cleaner, and WILL leave carbon deposits due to unburned fuel.
Yes BUT it WILL burn cleaner if it is the correct octane for the tune
Old 12-05-2007, 08:08 PM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: desslok40

Getting dangerously close tobuying a SC, I have a couple of questions.

Do I need to run colder spark plugs?

Do I have to run with higher octane fuel?

Really want to keep87 octane unless it is totally required !!

My current tune is Brenspeed 87 octane

Any help would be appreciated

I recommend HT0 plugs---like everyone else

You will have to run premium fuel

The Brenspeed 87 tune will not be appropriate for running any type of FI.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 PM
jlmphillips

You might try reading December 2007 issue of Modified Mustangs. Jim Bell (Kenne Bell) has the first installment of an article entitled "The 17 myths of supercharging." He does state in myth #2, Supercharged engines must use high octane fuel, "Not really." I am learning a lot as a newbie from the article(s).
Old 12-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Well, I'm not going to be the first guy to run 87 octane on a 93 octane tune. You try it and let me know lol
Old 12-07-2007, 05:35 PM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

Just remember, when you go WOT, and the motor sounds like a bag of marbles ratteling together-----------let off the gas
Old 12-07-2007, 07:26 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jlmphillips

You might try reading December 2007 issue of Modified Mustangs. Jim Bell (Kenne Bell) has the first installment of an article entitled "The 17 myths of supercharging." He does state in myth #2, Supercharged engines must use high octane fuel, "Not really." I am learning a lot as a newbie from the article(s).
You have to take those comments into perspective. He (Jim Bell) was specifically talking about low boost levels and conservative tuning. If you were to talk to Jim personally, he would be the first to tell you in the bigger psi levels, you must use good fuel and the bigger the boost, the higher the octane you need on these motors.

The other thing to remember about high octane is to use what's appropriate for your set-up. Using too high octane can be bad too. Run C16 in your car with low boost and your car will run like crap cause it will have a hard time detonating the fuel. You also have to consider your mods. If you have cats and all of your 02 sensors, you shouldn't exceed 104 and you NEVER EVER NEVER want to run leaded fuel with cats either. The highest unleaded fuel made is 109.

The last point nobody brought up is when you get the HTO's, make sure to gap them. Out of the box they are not right. Get yourself a little gapping tool from somewhere like pmpparts.com for around $25 and for 6-8 psi, gap them around .035 and for 9-10 psi, gap them around .032-.034, for 11-14 psi, gap them around .030-.032, and for big psi, you want to gap them around .028-.030.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:32 PM
torque240
1st Gear Member

the saleen s/c tune says "at least 91," does that mean you can use 92 or 93 and be fine, because there is no 91 around here. what are any problems that could happen running 92 or 93? thanks

Quick Reply: Supercharger ?s - Plugs, high octane ?