Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Paging all Kenny Belled & Whippled Stangs

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:34 PM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

Default Paging all Kenny Belled & Whippled Stangs

First I want to thank all that have been assisting me with my questions and concerns with the whole SC idea.

Well here is the deal, I have been settled on the purchase idea of a Whipple SC,as of the last week.

That being said, I spoke with a custom tuner today and he is a Whipple dealer but told me he personally would reccomend the Kenny Bell 2.6 over the Whipple for a few reasons.
1. run 8 lbs of boost and make what the Whipple does with 10

2. the KB can have a temp sensor mount easier to get to then the Whipple.

3 the KB can be later upgraded to make more power and IHOP is a Better SC

4. regarding the fuel pump issue, boosta pump over a GT500 new pump

5 new plugs?

ETC.........

But will install which ever I choose.

I need some honest in put. This whole SC thing is becomming a pain to make the right choice for the car (07 alloy 5 speed 3.55 gears)

Also How is the Whine of the KB compared to the Whipple.????
Old 12-06-2007, 02:51 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Paging all Kenny Belled & Whippled Stangs

I am moving this to the 4.6L section to see if you get more responses there! I sent you an email (several) as well. Take care Sean and either one you go with (WHIPPLE)you will be happy!

I will send you a video of the Whipple on the dyno! Turn up the volume as it was recorded on a digitial camera! I can't hear it over the exhaust and since you have the same kit as me and the side exhaust close the windows and you might hear the whine of the whipple on the road during acceleration! Both can be heard if you were driving towards someone (like if they are video recording your burn out or something) but once you pass them (during) all they will hear is the side exhaust! JMO hope ot helps and I will send all the pics and video in the AM after work! Thanks Sean- J Both could easily be sleepers if you wanted to and pulled up to someone on the road and they (in the next lane) would not hear it on take off because of the exhaust. If you had the exhaust out the rear they might catch on to the sound.....JMO J
Old 12-06-2007, 06:06 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

1. I would have to see this on the same car to believe it. With their respect tunes I'm not sure this holds true.

2. The whipple doesn't move the IAT sensor, it stays in the MAF sensor. You can move it yourself, but until you start going with higher boost, i don't think it's necessary.

3. That's true i'm sure. The KB doesn't require as small a pulley to make more boost.

4. Not sure what you are asking here, but I would choose dual pumps over boost-a-pump with either.

5. ? Whipple kit comes with spark plugs.

The KB doesn't have as loud a whine from what i've read. The whipple screams at WOT, especially if you have stock exhaust.

If you decide to get the whipple, i would use the whipple tune instead of a custom tune from your installer. Whipple is pretty proud of their stock tune. They claim it's superior to all other tunes in not so many words, which I thought was all marketing BS. Still might be BS, but I've not had any problems. If you decide to let someone tune it, make damn sure they know what they're doing.

ORIGINAL: TASSY5

5 new plugs?

Old 12-06-2007, 08:16 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Whipple does come with injectors. Also I tend to agree with Moose on this one. I have not sent out for the Whipple tune ( I have a custom tune) but will try it after I give my installer one more chance to fix the dreaded below 25 degrees and first cold start up of the day and some sputtering that happens only on start up and if it is really cold. After that she is fine the rest of the day! (after first warm up of the day). Moose didn't even suggest but he prompted me (in another thread) if I had a custom tune or the whipple tune sent with the kit. I replied thatI have a custom tune butit makes sense to try their tune first and then dyno tune it if necessary (or if you are going with bigger boost). Basically to check Whipples' tune for peace of mind. I bet it would fix many problems with cold start ups here in the mid-west and northern states. Many threads on that but you live in the south so less chance of needing her when below freezing! JMO This happens to many different types of S/C's not just the Whipple's!

ORIGINAL: moosestang

1. I would have to see this on the same car to believe it. With their respect tunes I'm not sure this holds true.

2. The whipple doesn't move the IAT sensor, it stays in the MAF sensor. You can move it yourself, but until you start going with higher boost, i don't think it's necessary.

3. That's true i'm sure. The KB doesn't require as small a pulley to make more boost.

4. Not sure what you are asking here, but I would choose dual pumps over boost-a-pump with either.

5. ? Whipple kit comes with spark plugs.

The KB doesn't have as loud a whine from what i've read. The whipple screams at WOT, especially if you have stock exhaust.

If you decide to get the whipple, i would use the whipple tune instead of a custom tune from your installer. Whipple is pretty proud of their stock tune. They claim it's superior to all other tunes in not so many words, which I thought was all marketing BS. Still might be BS, but I've not had any problems. If you decide to let someone tune it, make damn sure they know what they're doing.

5 new plugs?

Old 12-06-2007, 09:13 AM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

First I want to thank all that have been assisting me with my questions and concerns with the whole SC idea.

Well here is the deal, I have been settled on the purchase idea of a Whipple SC,as of the last week.

That being said, I spoke with a custom tuner today and he is a Whipple dealer but told me he personally would reccomend the Kenny Bell 2.6 over the Whipple for a few reasons.

3 the KB can be later upgraded to make more power and IHOP is a Better SC(move this to #1)

5 new plugs?

ETC.........

But will install which ever I choose.

I need some honest in put. This whole SC thing is becomming a pain to make the right choice for the car (07 alloy 5 speed 3.55 gears)

Most installers have their own exerpience and opinion with SC or Turbos. I have a 2.6L KB 4" KB pulley with the GT500 fuel set up anda whipple 6rib belt with FRPP Colder heat plugs (452hp/411tq)...the BAP is for lack of a better phrase isretarded...all its doing is boosting the voltage on your stock pump under a boost load...now that confuses the fuel management system in your ECU and you get an annoying surging feeling under cruising speeds...thus wasting fuel. That isn't an opinion thats a fact and it was with the factory KB tune. I went from from an average of 24mph to the gallon down to about 14.I almost wish that I would have went with a whipple just simply because its Ford techs making Ford performance! I'm not sure if other people had the same feeling or issue with their fuel system but watching my gas gauge go from full to a 1/2 tank on a hour trip cruising at 70 just didn't seem right.
Spend the $600-700 get the GT500 fuel system...the install is easy, however you will NEED a custom dyno tune. And make sure you have correctly gapped plugs (.30-.35).
Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

either one
Old 12-06-2007, 09:23 AM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

Read this:
http://kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-t...gtTechTips.pdf
Old 12-06-2007, 09:24 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Moose didn't even suggest but he prompted me (in another thread) if I had a custom tune or the whipple tune sent with the kit. I replied thatI have a custom tune butit makes sense to try their tune first and then dyno tune it if necessary (or if you are going with bigger boost). Basically to check Whipples' tune for peace of mind. I bet it would fix many problems with cold start ups here in the mid-west and northern states.

So you never even got the ford racing flash tool? I would have gotten it just because it's included in the price. You know whipple tested it in every kind of wether conditions so surely they tested it in the freezing cold. It was a blistering cold 39 degrees this morning, buuurrrrrrrrrr!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:29 AM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

I don't really hear anyting other than the exhaust roar!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:18 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Ok I was giving them credit until they stated that headers only add 4-5 hp...yes my ***!

Quick Reply: Paging all Kenny Belled & Whippled Stangs