Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Panhard + Exhaust ?s

Old 12-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Panhard + Exhaust ?s

I'm having some issues regarding my exhaust hitting the panhard bar (or brace, I can't remember.) I had a Pypes Over-axle (all mandrel bent, no crease over the actual axle) and I had SLP Loudmouths. No issues with the over-axle touching the panhard. However, I had 40 series flowmasters put on (using my stock exhaust's piping) and the over-axle rubs. I was looking at it while he was doing it and it seemed like it had equal clearance but apparently not.

This was months ago and I've been too busy to really deal with it. Also, I had the work done in NJ and now I'm in FL so I'm screwed as far as getting the exhaust shop to fix it. I took it to Ford down here, who diagnosed the problem (charged me 1 hr labor) to simply loosen the H-pipe and Over-axle and simply turned it so that the pipe was angled away from the panhard. Yet now its angled towards my underbody, and my exhaust tip is crooked out the back. It looks silly, and it still rubs but not as much. Again, been busy to schedule a date for them to actually 'fix' it, but judging by their performance thus far I don't see how well that will work.

Question is, how do aftermarket panhards/braces fair with stock? Will an aftermarket panhard or brace allow more clearance or less clearance from the exhaust? The issue is the left side overaxle..

Just wondering if I should try and get a refund on my 1 hr labor fee, since they did a **** poor job anyway, and fix the problem myself.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:20 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Panhard + Exhaust ?s

I have a similar problem.

My solution is to get a new panhard brace. Most especially CHE have their bar lower on the drivers side to cure this problem. Basically it is the same price as fiddling with the exhaust. Just get the tips correct and switch out the bar and you have both straight tips and a better brace with no rattle.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:54 AM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

would a panhard bar re-lo kit assist?
Old 12-08-2007, 09:14 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UrS4

I have a similar problem.

My solution is to get a new panhard brace. Most especially CHE have their bar lower on the drivers side to cure this problem. Basically it is the same price as fiddling with the exhaust. Just get the tips correct and switch out the bar and you have both straight tips and a better brace with no rattle.
Can I see this panhard bar that u speak of? I have this issue as well with my pypes mid muffler system.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:39 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Its not the panhard bar, its the panhard brace.

Look up CHE, they specifically state that on the drivers side their brace mounts in a drop down fashion and gives extra exhaust clearanc.

Peidmont modular performance has some pics
Old 12-08-2007, 12:38 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

The BMR brace does the same for added clearance i believe.