Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

For Automatic stangs! TCI INFO page 3 !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:15 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: For Automatic stangs !

With a new T/C, and Amsoil synthetic tranny fluid I hope to be fine with my tranny @ 10psi. I know JDM is running a completely stock 5R55 in his Blue Saleen that just hit the 9's last month. No, it's not a DD, but it sees alot of track time without any issues yet. Jim Jr. is also running a 5R55 with the exception of only an aftermarket T/C. He's N/A with a built motor, and just hit 10's. No issues there either. Maybe place a call to Brenspeed to see what, if any, issues they've had with autos on their boosted cars. Weakest links in our tranny's is third gear, then the T/C. If I were you, I'd do what I'm doing. Change the T/C and fluid. We already have a pretty big tranny cooler on the car as it is. Wait until something breaks before fixing what isn't broke.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

That's what gave out in mine is the 3rd gear. Started slipping bad. All fixed now
Old 12-07-2007, 04:08 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

With a new T/C, and Amsoil synthetic tranny fluid I hope to be fine with my tranny @ 10psi. I know JDM is running a completely stock 5R55 in his Blue Saleen that just hit the 9's last month. No, it's not a DD, but it sees alot of track time without any issues yet. Jim Jr. is also running a 5R55 with the exception of only an aftermarket T/C. He's N/A with a built motor, and just hit 10's. No issues there either. Maybe place a call to Brenspeed to see what, if any, issues they've had with autos on their boosted cars. Weakest links in our tranny's is third gear, then the T/C. If I were you, I'd do what I'm doing. Change the T/C and fluid. We already have a pretty big tranny cooler on the car as it is. Wait until something breaks before fixing what isn't broke.
Good advice but you do have limits. I don't know about Jr.'s car but the blue car may be on the stock tranny but I'd bet you have no clue how many stock tranny's it's gone through...lol

Many vendors will continue to use (and break) stock parts so they can use the claims in their advertising to make sales. I'm not singling out JDM and they've done nothing wrong cause they ALL do it. But don't take what a shop car has done on the 'stock' parts too seriously cause they have the luxury of replacing those stock parts dozens of times if need be. Those cars are advertising cars, never forget that. You are not going to be able to run 9's (or even 10's for that matter) consistently on the stock trans and the average joe is not going to want to replace it every other month either...

I do agree though that with some minor upgrades you should be able to get your stock tranny handling 10 psi stoutly. Just remember that you will always here about what a shop car does but will rarely hear about what it breaks...
Old 12-07-2007, 04:43 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

I already have a PI multi disk TC and a Performance Automatic oil tranny pan (1 extra galon of tranny fluid!) but as far as i'm concerned those mods are only to keep the tranny cool, but i´m talking about the inside components of the auto-tranny, are they good for a 10psi DD stress? 12 psi ?

Or does the TC + deep tranny oil pan will be "ENOUGH" to keep an automatic safe for 10 - 12 psi ? as a DD.
Im talking only about the tranny... i know that for 12 psi i´d need forged internals most likely.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:46 PM
nem
2nd Gear Member

most of you have probably seen this. they will sell the tranny or rebuild kit

http://www.nmratv.com/index.php?stre...mp;playlist=32
Old 12-07-2007, 06:55 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MexGT

I already have a PI multi disk TC and a Performance Automatic oil tranny pan (1 extra galon of tranny fluid!) but as far as i'm concerned those mods are only to keep the tranny cool, but i´m talking about the inside components of the auto-tranny, are they good for a 10psi DD stress? 12 psi ?

Or does the TC + deep tranny oil pan will be "ENOUGH" to keep an automatic safe for 10 - 12 psi ? as a DD.
Im talking only about the tranny... i know that for 12 psi i´d need forged internals most likely.
That's kind of a loaded question cause the answer is suggestive to exactly how hard you beat on it. You are already on the right track cause heat is definitely the primary destroyer of transmissions even though many think it's stress.

I know quite a few guys running in that psi range on the stock trans with the PI converter and PA pan and are doing fine but on the same token, I know two guys who snapped the input shaft in that range. IMO, you are good to go and if you see any problems, my bet is it would be with the input shaft but it's not like it's made of cardboard either, and you have to really twist that thing to break it. I think your TC and pan will hold you were you're at for awhile. Keeping the tranny cool is the key to longevity and that goes for any type of trans.

I use the largest pan made and 2 trans coolers with fan packs on all the time with my 4r70. Full manual, with no lockup, and a small 9" converter - it's the only way I can keep it streetable with big power. Otherwise, I'd be pulling over every 20 miles to cool it down... Every trans I have ever smoked was first related to heat and the excessive heat is what caused everything else to break. Keeping it cool is the secret...[8D]
Old 12-07-2007, 07:01 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Turbo_stangGT
still kinda lost in terms of how much power the stock auto can handle before going kaboom but we are pretty much limited by the stock blocks capabilities anyways
This is not true...the stock blocks onour cars are very strong (capable of 800+hp)...the rods are what limit us first, they are the weak link
Old 12-07-2007, 07:02 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

No, I have not seen that! Good info! It's gotta be cheaper than Level 10's.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:43 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

No, I have not seen that! Good info! It's gotta be cheaper than Level 10's.
After watching that video I just mailed TCI asking for the trans rebuild kit ! lol
Old 12-07-2007, 08:23 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

man i have not rebuilt a tranny in years...i wonder how much the swap is

Quick Reply: For Automatic stangs! TCI INFO page 3 !!