Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

For Automatic stangs! TCI INFO page 3 !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 12:43 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Default For Automatic stangs! TCI INFO page 3 !!

Is there any other way to strengthen up the tranny besides LVL 10 stg 3 "animal" trans? the pckg is $5,500 aprox .... so it would be nice to know any other good choices out there ?

f.e. if i wanna SC the car, going past 8 psi will be harmfull for the tranny, for the engine theres the forged internals at reasonable price ... we all know that 8 psi is not enough ! more like 12+ so was wondering in some options for the transmission .... Thanks

Old 12-07-2007, 12:47 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Default RE: For Automatic stangs !

I thought our tranny's would be fine at 11 tops... just get a different torque converter. or am I completely wrong?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:55 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

no ... 11 psi is a completely roasted tranny in few weeks. Whipple gives a 8psi pulley for the H.O. kit (10-12psi) for the atomatic users to keep longevity and safety in the tranny.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:17 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MexGT

no ... 11 psi is a completely roasted tranny in few weeks. Whipple gives a 8psi pulley for the H.O. kit (10-12psi) for the atomatic users to keep longevity and safety in the tranny.
I've been running11 1/2psi for about 2 weeks put on about 700 miles, I drive 105 miles each way to work my car isn't roasted .... yet.

edit; I was quoted 6grand for a LEVEL10 transmission. I would like to know if there was something a little cheaper we can do too.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

6 grand! They're prices must of went up then. I was quoted 4 grand about 4 months ago and thought that was expensive.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Wally39

6 grand! They're prices must of went up then. I was quoted 4 grand about 4 months ago and thought that was expensive.
ditto...$6k is a ton of money just to dump into a tranny for only running 8-9 psi lol.If I get abuilt tranny it's going to be for either runninga shiet load of boost w/ built motor or something other then a sc bolted on to a stocker...

still kinda lost in terms of how much power the stock auto can handle before going kaboom but we are pretty much limited by the stock blocks capabilities anyways so it's not like we will all be boosting 12-14 psi all day long lol.

I think I will just look into the torque converter as well as some other parts to help it shift better and run cooler,other then that ...not sure on what else.Pretty suire we don't need a stage 3 tranny or whatever it is they are selling,though should would be nice.They must have crisp *** shifts and monster launches off the line ..
Old 12-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

p.s.
damn you guys are pretty hardcore lol.Never read about so many presentgenSC'd GTs before in my life!

I wish I found this site sooner,would have baughta GT a long time ago!!
For some reason I thought it would take a lot more money to boost a GT for some reason...
Old 12-07-2007, 02:30 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

'Rebuilt' my butt...lol

When you get all the way down to the info, look out for the little part that says "you must use our tune for the transmission". Nobody makes a solid bell housing for the 5r55 so they are using the stocker and I think they also use the stock input shaft which is one of the biggest weak links in the 5r55. I really think the main thing your are getting for 6K is a retuned trans...[:'(]
Old 12-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

I think a good TC, trans cooler and maybe a deeper oilpan and you'd be a hell of alot better than stock. 6k for a rebuilt tranny is insane...
Old 12-07-2007, 03:11 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

I went with a 4stb-e from FB Performance. It's based on the AODE/4R70W and rated at 900hp. It's like driving a clutchless manual.3 speed in a forward shift pattern. You can't miss or skip a gear.

Quick Reply: For Automatic stangs! TCI INFO page 3 !!