Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

differences in SC kits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: differences in SC kits?

ORIGINAL: SaddleUp

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

There are three types of superchargers out on the market: twin screws, centrifugal, and root style. The root style is the least efficient because it they move air into the engine in little bursts rather than a continuous flow like that of a twin-screw or centrifugal. The reason the T/S are more efficient than the root style is because the T/S blowers compress the air inside the housing. A centrifugal blower is powered by an impeller used to bring in air at high speeds to compress it. They are said to be the most efficient of all the blowers. While the centrifugals are the most efficient, they are not the most popular for our cars due to the way they build boost. The T/S is instant boost while you have to wait for the centrifugal to build boost through the RPMs. Here is a list of the most common of all three types...

Twin Screw Superchargers:
1) Whipple
2) Kenne Bell
3) Saleen

The T/S design is phenomenal for instant boost in low RPM's

Centrifugal Superchargers
1) Procharger
2) Paxton
3) Vortech
4) Novi

Centrifugal design builds boost with RPM...there is not instant boost, but more power is made as the tach needle climbs

Root style Superchargers
1) Roush
2) Magnacharger

See above ^...anyways, hope this helped
06saleen3v

This was a great condensed and simplified way of explaining things for a new person or even someone that been around but still doesn't know as much as she should...........thank you for being courteous and helping someone else out! Good job~!

s ~

ditto..the help is greatly appreciated.

in that case I might look into a KB or whipple being that it seems like they are the most used application and build boost instantly.Though (much like turbos) wouldn't one that made boost linearly better then one that just went -BAM!BOOST! lol- all at once? I know it's the problem with big turbo cars on FWDers I would much rather have something that built boost in a linear fashion for the purpose of traction..would'nt instant boost say with 400-450whp just cause alot of wheelspin and trauma to the drivetrain? even with a rwd?

Old 12-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: exx1976

ORIGINAL: Turbo_stangGT

what's the difference between all the different SC kits out there? the one I am considering is the paxton sc kit from brenspeed,though only because of the value.

I hear of whipple,KB,vortech,saleen,roush and all these other ones but honestly have no idea of what is what..anyone care to break it down for a newb?

getting one next year,all the time to research but still want more insight on the matter

not looking to upgrade internals just yet..just want something to bolt on and go!
Looks like you'll have to change your name to SC_stangGT

LOL
actually I have a better name lol...brb..
Old 12-10-2007, 12:38 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

in that case I might look into a KB or whipple being that it seems like they are the most used application and build boost instantly.Though (much like turbos) wouldn't one that made boost linearly better then one that just went -BAM!BOOST! lol- all at once? I know it's the problem with big turbo cars on FWDers I would much rather have something that built boost in a linear fashion for the purpose of traction..would'nt instant boost say with 400-450whp just cause alot of wheelspin and trauma to the drivetrain? even with a rwd?
If you don't plan on going over 650rwhp, why not consider the Saleen as well?
Old 12-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

If you don't plan on going over 650rwhp, why not consider the Saleen as well?
lol there are many to consider..it's just a little intimidating looking on that brenspeed site for SCs,
all I see are hp numbers and prices not to mention cool names like stage 3 565hp sc kit! and so forth..it's like being a kid in a candy store.

I don't mind spending $5-6k on one..just as long as it delivers the goods..though if for my application I can get great power out of say a CF SC..I might as well get that for now and maybe upgrade down the line.Would be a better idea actually..500whp at my disposal right now being such a newb to that kind of hp levels dosen't sound like such a good idea lol...
Old 12-10-2007, 03:08 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

In all honesty, for someone who does not have any experience with big torque rear wheel drive cars on the street and want to make 500 rwhp - I would recommend a centrifi. Probably the vortech (cause I like watercooled stuff[8D])

Seriously, it is the most forgiving as you have to build boost and a lot harder to get in trouble. The boost is there when you specifically ask for it and eases in so it gives you more control. When you start getting into big instant boost on the street, the simple truth is that it is not much fun on the street cause you really can't just let it go.

I get guys wanting to race me everyday in my car and 99% of the time, I couldn't race them if I wanted to cause my car will kill you if you go WOT from less than 40 mph on the street...
Old 12-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Turbo_stangGT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: modaddict

In all honesty, for someone who does not have any experience with big torque rear wheel drive cars on the street and want to make 500 rwhp - I would recommend a centrifi. Probably the vortech (cause I like watercooled stuff[8D])

Seriously, it is the most forgiving as you have to build boost and a lot harder to get in trouble. The boost is there when you specifically ask for it and eases in so it gives you more control. When you start getting into big instant boost on the street, the simple truth is that it is not much fun on the street cause you really can't just let it go.

I get guys wanting to race me everyday in my car and 99% of the time, I couldn't race them if I wanted to cause my car will kill you if you go WOT from less than 40 mph on the street...
woah. I want that set up.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:51 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

LOL - EVERYONE 'wants' my set-up but FEW are willing to pay for it...
Old 12-10-2007, 07:00 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

what exactly is your set up, enquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:05 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Turbo_stangGTThough (much like turbos) wouldn't one that made boost linearly better then one that just went -BAM!BOOST! lol- all at once? I know it's the problem with big turbo cars on FWDers I would much rather have something that built boost in a linear fashion for the purpose of traction..would'nt instant boost say with 400-450whp just cause alot of wheelspin and trauma to the drivetrain? even with a rwd?

It's not really bam boost. A twin screw just makes it feel like you have a 400+hp big block motor. The power still builds with rpms, just much faster than other forced induction. Wheel spin is probably less traumatic to the drivetrain than hooking up with a lot of power. Unless of course you meant wheel hop which will break things eventually. It's much easier on the engine/transmission/ rear end to spin the tires than to propel your 3500lb car forward at an alarming rate of speed.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:09 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onederful100

what exactly is your set up, enquiring minds want to know.
I know he is running a centrifugal with a lot of boost

Quick Reply: differences in SC kits?