Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which is best.. Turbo or SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:24 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Which is best.. Turbo or SC

so what is the verdict, are turbos better
The problem with this topic is that there cannot be a definitive answer.Depends on the application and the user's very personal needs. I have had both on my mustang and loved both. I wouldn't say one is better than the other...the turbo is satisfying a presentneed that I couldn't get with the P1SC Procharger but maybe I could have got with the F1 Procharger or some other supercharger. I'll never know since I'm not about to try each one. You make a choice, pull the trigger, and hope it works out.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: forensicsteve

so what is the verdict, are turbos better
The problem with this topic is that there cannot be a definitive answer.Depends on the application and the user's very personal needs. I have had both on my mustang and loved both. I wouldn't say one is better than the other...the turbo is satisfying a presentneed that I couldn't get with the P1SC Procharger but maybe I could have got with the F1 Procharger or some other supercharger. I'll never know since I'm not about to try each one. You make a choice, pull the trigger, and hope it works out.
So did you get the stroker installed? How much power is it making?
Old 12-20-2007, 07:35 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Hey moosestang

Block arrived beginning of the week, so being installed. No big hurry though since the whole transmission is a couple of thousand miles away in Long Island, being upgraded. The 67 mm is good for about 650 rear wheel. Don't knowhow muchthe stroker, ported heads, stage II camswill add to that (if any). Going to upgrade to a 72 mm, that's why tranny and fuel systemare being further upgraded. My goal is 750 rear wheel horse and torque. Using C16, 118 octane gaswhich I can get locally will help a lot. As you know being in the south, the best part of track season has just started, so even if car is not ready until late January, plenty of months to give the 10s a go before it gets hot and sweaty again.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:12 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

From my understanding of thermal dynamics please see my earlier post. Best analogy I can make is the air cooled to water cooled engine.

While at idle not moving or doing anything you will just make alot of heat from sitting there in both cases. In stop and go traffic you wont have a problem in the stoped part necessarily only in the go part. Liquid is better at transfering heat. That is why we have liquid cooled engines and why watercooled machine guns are better than aircooled and why supercomputers processors are liquid cooled and not run with a fan. Why is this? heat transfer.

Is an air/air intercooler bad? no it is less complex and works well 90% of the time. The fact of the matter is if you are sitting in traffic on a really hot day 100 deg lets say with 90% humidity the ambient air can only absorb so much heat without adequate airflow.

The air/water intercooler will resist this heat longer. Eventually even the liquid will no longer be able to keep things cool and they will both be really hot. But the liquid will make everything hot equally as it is being pumped through the system. No hot spots, ie one place significantly hotter than another. Air cooling will give you a bunch of hot spots which in the right or wrong I guess you could say,conditions will cause detonation.

Once underway the air/air intercooler will cool faster but the damage could already be done.

If I had to boil it down to one thought it would be this.

Air/air intercooler has large temp swings between really hot and cooler during operation. Air/water cooling smooths this curve and make the temp change more gradual. It is easier to adjust for gradual changes than for eratic changes in the pcm program.

Not trying to write a treatise or anything but if you have more questions just hit the book store are grab a book on thermal dynamics.
While your logic may be right it is far from the truth. Remember on watercooled engines you are pumping water thru channels in the block designed to cool it and metal is a great conductor. Same with computer processors, you are channeling cold water thru a channel to make direct contact with a metal. You are forgetting about perhaps the most important part of the system. Or is it that you are spraying water into the engine. With an air to air intercooler like I have said millions of time you have that humongous surface area. On a WATER TO AIR you are using water from the heat exchanger to cool the little surface area intercooler that is in the intake manifold. The hot compressed air has to pass around the intercooler and not THRU it to cool it because on a water to air intercooler the water is inside the intercooler. On both systems the air is cooled by passing thru the grills on the indercooler. On an air to air the air goes thru the intercooler infront and is cooled from the ambient air passing thru the grills outside the channels. AS for hot spots you are still trying to refer to air cooled engines which is worlds apart from an intercooler. You are not trying to cool a engine you are trying to cool air; the amount of area the air goes thru a air to air makes all of the air at around the same temperature because the air travels length wise of an intercooler and not width wise like on a air/water intercooler. Take a guess on which one is more effective after a few runs after all that heat soak has occurred in the water and which has the better capacity to cool itself after a run? The heat gathered from sitting in traffic is little because the turbine is not spinning and compressing air unlike a supercharger which is ALWAYS moving/compressing air. Like I said it is not the same to cool a piece of metal than it is to cool passing air.

Example of air to water intercooler
http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vem.../photo_08.html

Example of air to air intercooler
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/31x12...em250197580515

Andrew

PS: I love how most of the people that are saying me twin screws are the best didn't even do the research correctly on twin screw superchargers. The KB 2.6L outperforms the whipple 2.3HO at high psi and are about even at low psi. *knocks on wood*
Old 12-20-2007, 11:18 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Hello, I locked this thread after reading these 7 pgs and watching the thread go downhill. I am leaving this thread and reporting it to ADMIN and please do not start any other threads about this or me locking it. If everyone wants to fight about differing opinions whether it is fact based or not please PM each other from this standpoint about turbos and S/C's and which is best. Sorry this had to be done and if anyone has any comments, questions, or concerns feel free to PM myself (mygt500), SOLDSHORT, or howarmat.
Thanks and continue to enjoy the forums.....peace J (mygt500) S197 section mod
Old 12-22-2007, 12:04 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Guys the thread was unlocked with the only consideration that we keep inline and in the subject I made a different thread to discuss the air to air intercooler vs water to air intercoolers. So if anyone has any doubts about either forced induction system please do post it. It is interesting to see the different view points.

Andrew
Old 12-22-2007, 12:07 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Okay thread is unlocked and the debate continues. Lets keep it fact based and remember that though both applications increase HP in different ways and you really are comparing apples to oranges...like I said in the beginning of this thread that it is personal preference and application for which to use an S/C vs. a turbo is up to you and the person who installs it (unless you install them yourself). This is the internet and everyone needs to remember that this is anyones opinions with varying backgrounds and I ask that all of you treat each other with respect regardless of background on any subject. If arguing ensues or the thread takes a dive again I will just delete it.....ADMIN is aware and the section mods as well.....Take care all and happy holidays....J S197 Section Moderator.[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 12-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Blackhawk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Surge
Because a turbocharger first spools up before the boost is delivered to the engine, there is a surge of power that is delivered immediately when the wastegate opens (around 3000 rpm). This surge can be damaging to the engine and drivetrain, and can make the vehicle difficult to drive or lose traction.

LOL!!!

I'm wondering why you'd be getting boost "surge" when the wastegate opens at 3000rpm? Whoever wrote that article is a moron. When a gate is open it's bleeding off boost...

There's pros and cons to both set-ups...
Pick what you can afford!

I'm a turbo guy, and have a 550rwhp turbo hayabusa. I LOVE turbos, but I and on the fence when it comes to what I want to do with my car, because in theory, a SC will be much easier to have installed and tuned. Plus, I'm not looking to do anything to the motor since this will be a daily driver... The ony mod I will probably do is the drive shaft so I can get rid of the stock POS. Looking for 450rwhp on pump, and having a little fun driving it without major issues or engine failure. So, for me either a turbo or SC will suffice.

If I was building the motor, and looking for 700-800hp street/strip machine? I wouldn't even think twice. It'd be turbo system with a digital boost controller all the way!
Old 12-22-2007, 11:53 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Blackhawk

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Surge
Because a turbocharger first spools up before the boost is delivered to the engine, there is a surge of power that is delivered immediately when the wastegate opens (around 3000 rpm). This surge can be damaging to the engine and drivetrain, and can make the vehicle difficult to drive or lose traction.

LOL!!!

I'm wondering why you'd be getting boost "surge" when the wastegate opens at 3000rpm? Whoever wrote that article is a moron. When a gate is open it's bleeding off boost...

There's pros and cons to both set-ups...
Pick what you can afford!

I'm a turbo guy, and have a 550rwhp turbo hayabusa. I LOVE turbos, but I and on the fence when it comes to what I want to do with my car, because in theory, a SC will be much easier to have installed and tuned. Plus, I'm not looking to do anything to the motor since this will be a daily driver... The ony mod I will probably do is the drive shaft so I can get rid of the stock POS. Looking for 450rwhp on pump, and having a little fun driving it without major issues or engine failure. So, for me either a turbo or SC will suffice.

If I was building the motor, and looking for 700-800hp street/strip machine? I wouldn't even think twice. It'd be turbo system with a digital boost controller all the way!
LOL nice pick-up i missed that one