Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Confused about boomtube axle-backs

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:37 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Default Confused about boomtube axle-backs

Ok so I'm looking to replace my Bassani axle-back Race mufflers for something that doesn't drone my head off at 2K. That low frequency "mmmmmmm" is too much (although with the windows down it's fine).

I'm looking at Boomtubes and Corsas (but they are so expensive I just don't know).

I have heard sound clips and I like both. The Boomtubes to me make the GT sound like it has a bigger engine which rocks. Some people have said they have no drone at 2K, and others claim to have drone with them. So which is it? I plan on running stock headers/midpipe for a while, but later add longtubes and something catted (X or H, don't know which yet).

I don't mind if it's a little bit loud in the cabin (just as long as I can still talk to people and hear my radio without maxing out the volume) but I just don't want that low freq mmmmmm the Bassani Races make.

I'd love to hear some in person but I don't know of anyone with them near me. If I did, I probably wouldn't be posting this anyway. Too bad I can't rent a pair for a week, lol.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Confused about boomtube axle-backs

Original: AmericanMuscle4.6GT
The Mac’s Boom tubes are an axle back system that is much like the SLP loudmouths (muffler delete), but with some packing material inside to lessen the raspy sound. They sound excellent with almost any midpipe. Drone is minimal, but the exhaust is somewhat loud and filters into the cabin.

Official Exhaust Thread
Old 12-12-2007, 09:22 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the drone is very, veryminimal. i think the loudness drowns out what little drone there is. heres a sound clip of mine w/ LT's and o/r xpipe. i really love the boomtubes and for the price they cant be beat. its a low rumble at low rpm's and at 3k and above w/ the xpipe it screams!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBVhKqorPNc
Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

@Burnsy: Yeah I'm aware of that post (I even posted to it) but I've heard conflicting things about the BT which is why I asked. I sure wish they would make that a sticky already. I bookmarked it but still.

@onederful100: Oh man, I totally forgot I posted a comment on your video there about this very issue a month ago! haha! For some reason when I was searching youtube for boomtube I didn't see your video pop up, otherwise I would have found it earlier and reminded myself about my question I posted. Oh well.

BTW, did you install them after the LT and x-pipe or before? It would be cool also to hear them with LT and H-pipe, but I have not seen that combo yet. I was thinking about H-pipe before, but really I don't know which to get. I remember hearing the H is deeper but X gives more power. These boomtubes sound deep enough on their own so I don't think deepening them anymore is needed.

I still look at the Corsas but their price is big enough to choke a horse! Too bad.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:51 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Hmm, somehow that post turned out in bold type. I don't remember hitting the bold button. Bah.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:57 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SirKnightTG

I still look at the Corsas but their price is big enough to choke a horse! Too bad.
agreed, but i needed 2 things, new axle backs and no drone. if you want to ensure no drone, get corsas. and they sound pretty freakin mean too, they give it a very musclecar-ish sound. thats my 2 cents on the corsas
Old 12-12-2007, 11:19 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

This is still going to be a hard decision. I'm very torn between them.

But I still have time to think about it. My [brand new replacement] Bassani Races on ebay have not sold yet. But I only listed them today.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Get boom tubes you will love them!! Then join the crew! You can get them at a awsome price at ninosport.com thats where i bought mine.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:53 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Yeah ninosport rocks. I noticed the booms are like $299 there I believe.

A while back I looked up where ninosport was out of, and seen they're in Houston, Tx. I then used google maps to find out exactly where and it turns out they're only a few miles away from my uncle's house! He owns his own shop and also runs it on his own. He built a big building in his backyard with several bays and a lift. He doesn't have a dyno though. That would have been cool. Anyway, later when I get longtubes and a high-flow catted mid-pipe I'll be taking it to him to install. He said it will be easy when on the lift.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I ordered the Mac longtubes and Mac off/road prochamber to go with my boomtubes! I think it is going to sound awsome! I got the Package from brenspeed.

Quick Reply: Confused about boomtube axle-backs