Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple vs. Kenne Bell

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:50 AM
zukowner

Default Whipple vs. Kenne Bell

Everyone is always talking about the best out of these two and I just wanted to throw a few things out there and see what happens. And opinions that I would receive.
1. The Kenne Bell has a knock feature. Does the Whipple?
2. The Kenne Bell has a Valet/Boost override. Does Whipple?
3. The Kenne Bell seems to have room for growth, adjustable from 5-6 psi(non-intercooled) 8-20+ for intercooled. Does Kenne Bell?
4. Does either one of them come with all the things needed to do a complete install, or do they require you to buy extra parts (larger injectors etc.)

I notice the whine comparison between the whipple and KB and on the 04 body style the whipple was considerably louder than the KB. What about the 05-08. Somebody give the answers to these questions and support the decission on the charger you went with.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:01 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple vs. Kenne Bell

The kennebell makes almost no whine compared to the whipple. The whipple doesn't have any valet feature, just a gimick to me though. Not sure what knock feature the KB has, never heard of that one. They can both handle 20+psi, but the KB will get their easier and make more power because it's a larger blower. Whipple comes with everything, KB doesn't include spark plugs last I checked.

I went with the whipple because I didn't like the no whine of the KB and heard it generates more heat, not to mention I didn't like the filter in the wheel well. I thought the whipple looked better overall, not that it matters.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:21 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

I went KB because the shop I use is the only certified installer for KB in Texas. It just made sense!

However, as Moose mentioned the KB is a little bigger.

If the shop had been whipple oriented I probably would have went that way.

In regards to the whine, I like the fact they don't hear it till it's too late.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:55 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

1) The KB has the filter in the front bumper - not the wheelwell (true cold air intake)
2) the KB whines like a bitch at WOT over 10 PSI - not quiet at all
3) KB research and engineering is the best in the business
4) KB includes everything. You may or may not need HT0 plugs, that depends.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

zuk, the KB is awesome.....i recommend
that you get one
Old 12-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Meangreen1200
2nd Gear Member

Either one is a good choice. I went with the KB becuase no one else had a kit other than KB when I got mine. It has done very well for me and I have no complaints! Comes with everything except the plugs. But if you dont go any higher with the boost the stock plugs will work fine.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:21 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

THE KB is a freaking beast....as far as the valet feature being a selling point...to me its moot as I would just have your tuner give you a tune that does the same thing. At least thats what I did and I do not have a KB..however..get the KB it is a beast...but if you even went with the whipple I dont see any disappointment by you at all....either of them will be awesome...good luck....
Old 12-16-2007, 01:30 PM
mattsimonton
2nd Gear Member

I have the Kb, a great system and it is a bit of a sleeper. As mentioned above, you dont hear it until it is too late!!! lol I do like the whine of the whipple though. The only thing I did not like at all is that I had a detonation problem for a while in Europe, it is gone now that I am back in the states. It got really expensive the first time it detonated, cost a new engine. It hasnt done it with the new motor.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:36 PM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

When I got my KB in Mar 2006, Whipple didn't have a kit for the S197. I also used the stock plugs for a long time without any issues, just had to gap them down.
Had the KB on now for almost two years and I have no regrets about my choice. 38,000 miles on the car now @10psi.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:41 PM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

Not sure because I haven't done it yet but I believe the KB gets louder when you start pushing more boost. I think its the same for any SC, they get louder the more boost you run.

Quick Reply: Whipple vs. Kenne Bell