Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What would be a good first mod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 06:49 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What would be a good first mod?

IF you´re getting a CaI, get it with a tuner, thats how they will show good gains! And stick with C&L or JLT.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:01 PM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ensign_lee

Ok. So I've decided that I want a cold air intake for my car. Keeping in mind that I have an automatic (I'm not actually sure if this makes any difference), which kinds would y'all recommend?

After searching through the forum, I saw some people talk about a C&L Racer? What else is out there and what are the pros/cons? Also, (and this may be a stupid question), I'd be better off installing it myself (or with a buddy) than having it installed for me, right?

Also, (and this may be yet another stupid question), what exactly is a tune? If it is what I think it is and I have everything stock right now, shouldn't everything be tuned to perfection?
There are many different cai for the car. The most popular are C&L, JLT, and Steeda. Butthere is also k&n, tuneable(I have this one and chose it because of the look), air rade, wms, theres morethat I just can't think of right now. For the most part they are all the same as far as power goes. The choice really comes down to what you likethe look of better.

Ithink awell trained monkey could install a cai on this car its literally 5 screws no need for anything other than a screw driver. This is the first car I have ever worked onits been easy so far.

A tune sets the parameters of things like spark, timing,and fuel. When you add a cai this needs to be adjusted for the increased air flow to the motor. Thebiggest improvement comes from the tune as it comesfrom the factory extremely "tuned" down. For an automatic shift points can also be moved and improved. B a ma seems to be the popular vote for autosbut I would recommend looking into alternative auto or brenspeed I have used all three and the latter 2 actually return phone calls and have phenominal customer service.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:11 PM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

What exactly is the difference between B a ma (I assume there's a reason that you added spaces there) and other companies like Brenspeed. I mean, they're providing a commodity (the CAI and tuner), right? Do they actually perform any services?

Just wondering...thanks!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:38 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

exhaust
Old 12-27-2007, 12:04 AM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the help, guys!

I think I'm gonna go with Brenspeed: http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/airkittuner.html . C&L AIR INTAKE WITH SCT X-CAL 2 2005/08 GT

Question about the tune: I've been using 87 octane since that's what the stock GT's are designed to run on. When I tune my car, should I use the 93 octane tune and use 93 octane fuel or the 87 octane tune and 87 octane fuel?

What are the benefits / costs associated with either one? Thanks!

Also, if I opted for the 93 octane tune, then would I have to pretty much run teh tank until empty before I started the tune and then get 93 octane fuel put in afterwards? Or how would I handle the fact that before I do the tune, there will be 87 octane fuel in the car?

Old 12-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Whiteflash454
3rd Gear Member

CAI AND TUNER