Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger PCV Catch can (Whipple if it matters)

Old 12-20-2007, 07:34 PM
sd07gt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger PCV Catch can (Whipple if it matters)

I would just put breathers on at 10 lb's... but you will have to get your car re tuned for un-metered air !.. Thats why allot of people use catch cans because there will be no retuning involved. It also depends if you want to be carb legal because by law you cant run open breathers in any state (I could be wrong ) !

If you want to stay legal and your only at 10 lb just get a good catch can with a filter in it, and remember you can get a Tee and tie both sides into one catch can ... both sides of the valve cover has to be the same.. either breathers or catch cans. (breathers little air filters ) !!

The main thing about catch cans or breathers is you wont be getting any oil mist or vapors into your intake... the number one damaging thing is detonation from lowering your octane rating from mixing oil@ gas together, I gave up trying to use a PVC system on a supercharged car a long time ago...
Old 12-20-2007, 07:47 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

alright, since i need to stay legal
in my state and i don't want to have
to retune.....i'll go with a catch can

you gave me a nice idea....i might as well
run both the passenger and drivers side,
into a "T" and then into the oil bucket.....

thanks for the tips
Old 12-20-2007, 08:15 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

can any1 explain with more details whats the function of this "catch cans" and when do you need one? any pics? (besides moosestangs)
Old 12-20-2007, 09:10 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey MexGT, it's for removing vaporized
oil that is traveling from the PCV outlet
to the intake

usually only people running FI worry
about this issue
Old 12-20-2007, 09:32 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Yes oil needs to be seperated or it will collect in your TB, intake manifolds and finally your heads. This is not good
Old 12-20-2007, 11:22 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

hey MexGT, it's for removing vaporized
oil that is traveling from the PCV outlet
to the intake

usually only people running FI worry
about this issue
IĀ“m looking for a chance to get a SC too but since IĀ“ve never heard of a collector like that I was just curious... but thanks !
Old 12-20-2007, 11:52 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Hello,
If you could include me with Moose and Hammeron. I would like the bracket you make or fashion to the car and I will go with Stef's as well. Thanks I will not be doing this until next year as well. My baby is sleeping this long winter and it technically not winter yet!Thanks J

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

In my opinion yes. Any oil blow by after the supercharger install isnt going to just collect and discolor parts of your intake track it will get gunked up on the intercooler in the intake valley. This will lower its efficiency and raise IAT.

Hey no worries I wimped out of the HO install myself. I tell myself it is because I am busy with work but really I am just not comfortable doing it so I am happy to pay someone who know what they are doing.

Well after I didnt get alot of input here I decided to go out on my own and start to peice one together. I plan on documenting it all so it can be posted here as a how to.

Whipple goes on in the Jan/Feb timeframe and I will do this within a month or 2 after that.

Just an FYI I decided to do it right the first time so It is going to cost about $200 to do. The catch can itself is like $130.

Hey I have done crazy amounts of whipple research so PM me if you have any questions.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:07 AM
kthulhu
1st Gear Member

Prior to owning my Mustang I had a SRT-4. Before I added a catch can it would gunk up the intercooler so bad you'd see oil coming from the pipe connections. I had great success with a $12 Home Depot air/oil seperator with the stone filter removed. It would be 1/4 to 1/2 full each time I gassed up. It not super pretty or made from shiney billet, but it was cheap, effective and easy to dump.

Two pieces of advice if you go this route: Firstly, the stock o-ring will last a good while, but it's worth replacing with an oil resistant ring when you get the chance. Buy a pack; you'll lose one now and again when you dump the can. Secondly, and this is for anyone with a catch can, be careful of the softer clear hoses. I've seen them collapse under vacuum when they are nice and warm. I switched over to nice sturdy fuel line. Much thicker wall and I don't really need to see the gunk in the line anyways.

Have a good one folks and I hope to join you all in FI land someday.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:58 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MexGT

can any1 explain with more details whats the function of this "catch cans" and when do you need one? any pics? (besides moosestangs)
If you see your engine there is a line going from the crank case to the intake/tb. Oil/oil vapors escape under pressure and get recirculated to the engine. This causes residue built up along the tb/intakemanifold/heads. This will hurt performance in the long run. You can see traces of this by just removing ur TB and putting ur finger along the sides of the intake manifold you will see a black residue. Also when oil is recirculated into the air/fuel mixture it lowers the octane rating of the gasoline thus decreasing performance and raising the risk of detonation/knocking.

Andrew
Old 12-21-2007, 10:52 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Yeah IĀ“ve always wondered from where that oil in the TB came from.... thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharger PCV Catch can (Whipple if it matters)