Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger PCV Catch can (Whipple if it matters)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:13 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default Supercharger PCV Catch can (Whipple if it matters)

I am doing a whipple HO after the first of the year and I wanted to put in a catch can on the PCV valve to help blow by.

I am little slow when it comes to these things and I have found threads with an fittings and this or that and in the end I just get confused.

I am looking for the cheap way and the right way.

If someone could explain to me the cheap way using the seperator from the air compressors and the like listing out the parts needed and part numbers too that would be great and how to hook it up.

Then if someone has done it the right way with the stef's can and major braided hoses and the like I would be interested in the same info as above.

Due to the cost of the s/c I will do it the cheap route at first and then later do it up right/long term solution.

Basically I would like step by step type write up with the parts you need. And when I do install it I will take pictures and document it for posterity so people like me can understand it and do it.

Thanks,
Old 12-19-2007, 02:13 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger PCV Catch can (Whipple if it matters)

Do a search on Ebay for 'oil catch can' or 'oil separator can'. You'll ger pages of them, they are not expensive. The design is very simple and one does not wortk any better than any other for our purposes.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:28 AM
jlmphillips

Well, I am slower than you are. I plan on having a shop install a Whipple HO in the spring. Is this something that I should inquire about? Thank you.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:25 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

In my opinion yes. Any oil blow by after the supercharger install isnt going to just collect and discolor parts of your intake track it will get gunked up on the intercooler in the intake valley. This will lower its efficiency and raise IAT.

Hey no worries I wimped out of the HO install myself. I tell myself it is because I am busy with work but really I am just not comfortable doing it so I am happy to pay someone who know what they are doing.

Well after I didnt get alot of input here I decided to go out on my own and start to peice one together. I plan on documenting it all so it can be posted here as a how to.

Whipple goes on in the Jan/Feb timeframe and I will do this within a month or 2 after that.

Just an FYI I decided to do it right the first time so It is going to cost about $200 to do. The catch can itself is like $130.

Hey I have done crazy amounts of whipple research so PM me if you have any questions.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:40 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey boost guru, i'm really glad to hear you're
going with the whipple

i've been wanting to install a catch can, but
haven't gotten around to it yet....maybe
your write up will motivate me, finally

Old 12-20-2007, 10:56 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Always looking to give something back.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:17 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

What catch can are you buying? Stefs? I like their can, but it doesn't have a mounting bracket which I think sucks for how much it costs. The crappy catch can I bought off ebay was missing a seal on the bottom so I used gasket maker. Mounting it to the air filter shroud was the best place I could find. I'd like to replace mine with the stefs if I can find someone to weld an L braket to it.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:20 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Very clean filter moosestang
Old 12-20-2007, 12:31 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MexGT

Very clean filter moosestang
That was right after the install, but it's still fairly clean after 4,000 miles. I take it off and vacuum it with a shop vac occasionally. Once it needs to be cleaned and oiled it will be turning blue to match the car.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:58 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Moose

I hear you on being expensive, but I like the look of it and it is for sure a quality piece.

I plan on making a bracket and mounting it around the shock tower area. I have a friend who can weld so I am sure I can make something nice. I will post some pics when I am done and if you or Hammeron like the set up I am sure Icould whip up a few brackets.

I plan on getting a semi custom stefs can with an 1/2 NPT inlet and outlet and then using a 1/2nptto 10an barb fittings. Then Summit has some nice 5/8'stubingthat I can put the stock conectors into to connect to the blower and valve cover. At least picturing it my head it should all work.

My initial cost/part estimate is

Stef can - $150 shipped
90 deg 1/2npt to 10an barb stainless - $25 (summit) {brass is cheaper but they are backordered)
straight 1/2npt to 10an barb stainless - $10(summit)
10' black hose (oil rated and wont clapse under vacuum) - $38(summit)
hose clamps qty 4 - $5 auto zone
Home made bracket & hardware - Free, will make it from what I have around

So total should be approx $228

Like I said I will be doing this after the install first of the year. I will keep you guys up to date once I start.

Quick Reply: Supercharger PCV Catch can (Whipple if it matters)