Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which mods reduce low end torque?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:16 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Which mods reduce low end torque?

You're not going to get 15hp from delete plates, especially not from a NA motor. My tuner told me that they are only worth maybe 5-7hp, 7-10hp if you have boost.

Lidio at Alternative auto says he doesn't recommend doing them usually on NA cars because they simply aren't worth it anymore. When the delete plates only cost $80 from FRPP they were a good deal, but now they are $140 from Steeda. He also said, and I can confirm this, that you will lose some fuel economy with the delete plates.

I found this, Doug from Bamachips commenting on delete plates...

"The results I've gotten from them were 6rwhp and nearly 10 rwtq overall but in the mid range gains of 7-9 rwhp and 8-10 rwtq from 3000 rpm's and up... I drove it and it is truly hard to say if I could feel any difference at all, I could say that It didn't loose any bottom end power to speak of which was what I was expecting. All in all I would say they are a decent investment in the world of $250+ for 20rwhp 6-10rwhp for $100 is worth the money."
Old 12-27-2007, 04:35 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

So going with delete plates 'could' take away about 2-5whp below 3K, but give 7-9 whp above 3K with a torque bump throughout especially above 3K.

This requires a re-tune which if free from Brenspeed if you already bought tunes from them.

I haven't put my car on the dyno to see what power I am making and how much the O/R X added. But from what I remember you lose 2-5whp below 3K and gain 8-10whp above 3K or maybe it was just peak gains. Brent didn't recommend that if I stay NA that getting an O/R X and delete plates will take away from the bottom end what it gains above so he told me to do one or the other.

So would switching to an O/R H lose the same amount from top end but give it back on the bottom end?

I guess it comes down to where you want the power, which depends on your driving style. I guess if you road race and see a lot of high rpms you want the power gains up there and if you are a stop light to stop light guy you don't want to lose low end.

So cams should be matched to gears, I have never heard that exactly so that is good to know. I have heard that you should pick cams based on the power curve you want.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

some cams give you better lower and upper end HP and TQ. If you have a turbo you want the cam with lower end numbers and you want the top end cam for the twin screws/c.

something like that. You match your gears to your powerband on your dyno sheet and track runs. You want to be in your powerband when you cross the finish line...not running out of gear.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:42 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

why dont you race a GT with your mods plus delete plates and x-pipe and see what happens. Once I hit 3K rpms I can feel the diffrence and I havent lost anything down low.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Youngstang57

woah.. kinda scary.. ive been told the 4.10's give u scary amounts of low end torque to get off the line?????
4.10 low end
3.73 supercharger
3.55 moderate gains

thats what ive always been told, someone set me straight.. cuz gears are my next upgrade!
Old 12-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

personally.. i plan on s/c in the next couple years so i wont change my gears.. which i understand is 3.55 for my car? (please let me know if that isn't so-see sig) ive heard some ppl say their 3.55 were perfect for their charger.. and most ppl dont like the 4.10 if they have a lot of HP... if you want to stay n/a for atleast a few years your bet is probably right on for 4.10s (you will lose a slight bit of gas mileage.. not that it should bother you since you didn't buy an priass)
Old 12-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Tungsten
2nd Gear Member

I see plenty of people around the boards runnning 4.10s on their twin-screws and are totally happy with it. I guess it all depends...
Old 12-27-2007, 11:49 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Well racing someone with my mods plus the delete plates is futile.

Its not like I can just find one on the street or at the track, its not like a menu.

Plus I could suck as a driver or the guy could so it wouldn't be accurate.

Comparing dyno numbers done at the same time with the same conditions is even harder.

So does anyone have actual dyno graphs of before and after delete plates all done on the same day? Probably not.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:54 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

doug did....that is where that paragraph is from.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:04 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

who's doug?

Quick Reply: Which mods reduce low end torque?