Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What exactly is "DRONE"

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:45 PM
mauiboy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What exactly is "DRONE"

I wonder if insulating under the rear seat or even under the car above the mufflers would help alieviate the drone? I have Mac's myself and love the sound but having a conversation with someone else in the car under drone is pretty brutal on the ear drums...
Old 01-02-2008, 08:52 PM
surveyor

ORIGINAL: hammeron

how did you get both your toys
out there for the pic
The GT is my wifes toy. But I like to play with it. Talked her into buying the GT. Since it is her car do not want any axlebacks that are to aggressive and definetly do not want any drone. Listen to all the clips and reading post buy you fine fellows I am looking at the following. What do you think?
Thanks for all the advice!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: surveyor

out there for the pic
The GT is my wifes toy. But I like to play with it. Talked her into buying the GT. Since it is her car do not want any axlebacks that are to aggressive and definetly do not want any drone. Listen to all the clips and reading post buy you fine fellows I am looking at the following. What do you think?
Thanks for all the advice!

Those are good mufflers, but I think you should check into the Corsa. Yes they're expensive, but they have NO drone and are aggressive and louder than stock, but not overdone. I think they fit your requirements perfectly. They'll sound much better than the ones you posted IMO. Plus they are made very well. Check out my post/write-up about them. I am so happy with mine I can't seem to stop smiling. The drive to and from work today was much more enjoyable than usual.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:11 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mauiboy

I wonder if insulating under the rear seat or even under the car above the mufflers would help alieviate the drone? I have Mac's myself and love the sound but having a conversation with someone else in the car under drone is pretty brutal on the ear drums...
Try some foam insulation in the spare tire well. Or even several thick beach towels from Wal-Mart would probably do the job too. I've heard about people doing both and were satisfied. It's worth a shot. You may even try the foam insulation all over the trunk area, not just the spare tire well. I would be very interested how well this works (not that I need to do such a thing myself as I have Corsa ).
Old 01-03-2008, 12:13 AM
dr350rider
1st Gear Member

Drone is what my wife is doing in my ear right now because I'm on mustangforums again. Time to go to bed.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dr350rider

Drone is what my wife is doing in my ear right now because I'm on mustangforums again. Time to go to bed.
LOL. Yeah, I hear they'll do that!

Try a foam insulated hat!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

out there for the pic
hahah hammy, always noticing the little things[8D]
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Drone is when the sound of the muffler hits a frequency that is uncomfortable to listen to.... it sort of feels like it vibrates your brain inside your head. I originally went with Macs and they had horrendous drone. So much so, that I'd return from a ride and myself and any passengers would feel ill for a while. The SLP Powerflos I replaced them with sound great and have very little drone in general. There are a few rev ranges where they'll do it a little bit, but its pretty random and can be stopped by either stepping on or letting off the gas.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 PM
surveyor

[/quote]

Those are good mufflers, but I think you should check into the Corsa. Yes they're expensive, but they have NO drone and are aggressive and louder than stock, but not overdone. I think they fit your requirements perfectly. They'll sound much better than the ones you posted IMO. Plus they are made very well. Check out my post/write-up about them. I am so happy with mine I can't seem to stop smiling. The drive to and from work today was much more enjoyable than usual.

[/quote]

Thanks fellors.
Sir Knight I will check out the Corsa.