MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Detonation? Higher octane? Help!! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/388719-detonation-higher-octane-help.html)

Mustang_Danny 01-02-2008 04:54 PM

Detonation? Higher octane? Help!!

I went today to Powered By Ford in Orlando, a Ford Racing Performance Shop, to get the FR GTA exhaust, which I love by the way, however, when I went to pick up my car, they told me they heard detonation from my car at around 2000-2500 rpms. The note they left on my receipt says:

"Note: Noticed significant detonation at 2000-2500 RPM Transitional and Mid Throttle angles"

One of the guys that works there explained to me that it's probablydue to me running 87 octane on my car, and recommended me to put in a higher octane fuel.

I've sometimes noticed little clicking noises, but never thought much of it. I used to hear it in my Honda as well and when I tookthat carto the dealership they told me it was nothing to worry about. Plus lets face it, Mustangs have all kinds of noises coming from it, which from what i've heard are normal.

However I'm very concerned for my mustang, as its new, 4,000 miles on it.

Should I put premium gason my car? It is completely stock except for the new mufflers. I have no problem putting a higher octane, but I've also read that it's useless to put premium on a stock car ,and that it may even be detrimental. I would like to read your opinions on this matter. Thanks ahead of time.

RodeoFlyer 01-02-2008 05:17 PM

RE: Detonation? Higher octane? Help!!

Take it to the dealer. The car is designed to run just fine on 87.

moosestang 01-02-2008 05:18 PM

I've always run 89 oct in my cars even when they call for 87. I'm surprised you'd get pinging at such a low rpm though. You could always take it to the dealer and show them the message from Powered by Ford. They can adjust your tune or maybe they have an updated tune anyway.

With all that said, get an intake and tune from brenspeed! It makes the car feel ten times faster even with the 87 oct tune. If you get pinging with brents tune he will email you an updated tune in no time.

mynameismike65 01-02-2008 05:44 PM

It has nothing to do with the gas...I always run 87 and have never had a problem b/c like someone else said, the new stang is ment to be able to run on 87.

blackS197 01-02-2008 09:37 PM

I had the same problem but at high rpm. put in 89 octane and you will be fine. You will get knock on high elevation, uphill, and really hot weather.

SirKnightTG 01-03-2008 12:25 AM

I get spark knock on 87 octane. I didn't at first, but after a few thousand miles it started. The dealer told me it was spark knock and I should use a higher quality fuel. So I started to run 89 and it went away.

I live in what's called "the hill country" area in Texas so I satisfy the three conditions to get knock as stated above (high elevation, uphill and hot weather). I may try different plugs later and see if that helps any. Of course, if/when I go to FI, it wont matter much as I'll have to run 93 (premium). :D

Mustang_Danny 01-03-2008 09:16 AM

I just took my car to the dealership. They were actually pretty professional and treated me very well. I didn't have an appointment but theystill had my car checked out, even though they were pretty busy with backed up work from the holidays. They told me that theydid some sort of diagnostictests on my car,andthat everything "checked out well",and they alsoreflashed mycar with an updated tune. Alsoadvised me on gettinghigher quality fuel, and possiblyeven try higher octane. I think I'll start putting 89 from now on, just to be on the safe side.

On my way home I still heard some very light clicking sounds when I accelerated, but it might just be me being paranoid after this whole ordeal. It could have very well be coming from inside the car from something loose, or at least I hope so. This is my first V8, first mustang,as well as my first manual transmission, so it's hard for me to tell whatsounds are normal and what are signs of something more serious. Hopefully everything is all well and will have no problems in the future.

Derf00 01-03-2008 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Mustang_Danny

I just took my car to the dealership. They were actually pretty professional and treated me very well. I didn't have an appointment but theystill had my car checked out, even though they were pretty busy with backed up work from the holidays. They told me that theydid some sort of diagnostictests on my car,andthat everything "checked out well",and they alsoreflashed mycar with an updated tune. Alsoadvised me on gettinghigher quality fuel, and possiblyeven try higher octane. I think I'll start putting 89 from now on, just to be on the safe side.

On my way home I still heard some very light clicking sounds when I accelerated, but it might just be me being paranoid after this whole ordeal. It could have very well be coming from inside the car from something loose, or at least I hope so. This is my first V8, first mustang,as well as my first manual transmission, so it's hard for me to tell whatsounds are normal and what are signs of something more serious. Hopefully everything is all well and will have no problems in the future.
I would just fill up at a different gas station. Sounds like you got contaminated gas. There's a gas station down the street from my house that also has a full service car wash and tune-up center. I stopped filling up there after I noticed my car runs like crap on their gas. Probably gets water in it as their tank inlets are by the water drains.

ski 01-03-2008 10:55 AM

The only noises you should hear when acceleratingare those fromthe exhaust,tires, andshifting gears.If you hear anything else, especially at POT(part open throttle) and lower rpm's, then something is amiss, and continuing to run it like that can possibly damage the engine.
If you heard pinging(Read: shaking BB's in a metal can)even when the car was brand new, and using different brands of gas did not get rid of it, then the pistons/valves/heads may have not been properly machined. Recommendusing higher octane fuel.
But if the pinging did not start until just recently, thencarbon may havebuilt up in the cylinders, especially if you do not drive aggressively and/or frequently do not get the engine fully warmed up. A can or 2 of Seafoam may cure it.

d_ames117 01-03-2008 12:43 PM

Clicking is likely the injectors.

Dustin