Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Should I have been more impressed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Should I have been more impressed?

My intake and tune from brenspeed gave me a hard-on when I floored it
Old 01-03-2008, 04:33 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

And dude. A new z06 is what...Like $74,000??

This mustang is almost 1/3 of that and has atleast 1/2 the hp
Old 01-04-2008, 11:51 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

First -welcome to the forum! Second -I understand totally the way you feel about the stock stang but even before FI I felt the car was slow but when I look at the speedometerit was really going faster than I thought. For example drop from 5th gear cruising (50 MPH) and drop it to third and punch it......car is quick but not throw yourself in your seat fast and before you know it you are 80 MPH and she feels like she is going 50 MPH. I think it has to do with the weight of the fat car and the drive by wire system that can be improved upon with a CAI/tune. Regardless of how it feels the track times and street wins really tell the story of what a great muscle car this is....... Buy now as the muscle cars of today will quickly change (detuned) for the near future because of a new law passed by the asshat in office right now (bush). You can thank him for that kind of like in the 80's when the muscle car changed and had to be reworked for the new laws on MPG and air quality. JMO J
ORIGINAL: barryg

Well I test drove 3 Mustang GTs. One brand new '08 5spd and a used '05 auto w/32K mi in very nice shape. Also a used '06 auto with custom 19" wheels, Bassani mufflers and I think it was lowered....this one rode like crap......probably b/c it was lowered...it was sort of all over the road.
I don't know....I guess I was just expecting more neck snapping acceleration but none seemed very fast. Throaty? Yes....both sounded great even stock. Torque? Yup. Both cars felt "powerful" but I thought they souned faster than they were. Didn't feel particularly "OMG quick". The '08 manual obviously wasn't broken in so I'll give it that.

The 3 "fast" cars I can compare them to is my 2 former rides:
old '92 LX 5.0 5spd....been a long time but yeah they feel as fast as that was.
'00 Z28 LS1 6spd-this car felt just as fast but it was uncomfortable and really felt like a boat. New Stangs felt much more civilized.

'99 Vette convertible-automatic-I had driven my friend's a few times. I guess this is what I thought the Stang automatic would feel "close" to. But it didn't. I remember the Vette's throttle being (feeling)......MUCH more responsive. Just power on tap w/no waiting.
So I guess the question is how much $$ has to be thrown into a Stang to get it to feel like the Vette did? Supercharger, headers, gears, CAI, tune? I'm not opposed to mods. But at the same time, I don't want to spend $5K and then worry about things going wrong with the car..etc. Also considering maybe I should just go used Vette hunting. Vette owners are often older guys who may not have abused the car..etc.

Well any advice is appreciated. I'd rather have a newer car than a 4-5yr old Vette. So if $5K in mods will seriously wake the hell out of the Mustang w/out nasty side effects, I'd be able to swallow that.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:36 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 22kart22

Not trying to be a stain but who mentioned the Z06? It does not belong in the same breath as the 'Stang, especially if you are talking about the '07 and newer. I was referring to a '2000 vert that ran a 12.23 @ 123MPH that a friend has that lightened his wallet $30K. If you weren't directing this my way I appologize in advance. Just didn't see the Z06 involved in the discussion prior is all...
Old 01-05-2008, 05:49 AM
bodyman
2nd Gear Member

A cai and a good tune and 4.10 gears will give you that "OMG quick" feeling your looking for.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:51 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bodyman

A cai and a good tune and 4.10 gears will give you that "OMG quick" feeling your looking for.
Do you have an automatic my friend?
Old 01-05-2008, 05:56 AM
bodyman
2nd Gear Member

yes I do
Old 01-05-2008, 07:02 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Baddog

Not trying to be a stain but who mentioned the Z06? It does not belong in the same breath as the 'Stang, especially if you are talking about the '07 and newer. I was referring to a '2000 vert that ran a 12.23 @ 123MPH that a friend has that lightened his wallet $30K. If you weren't directing this my way I appologize in advance. Just didn't see the Z06 involved in the discussion prior is all...
It didn't run that time or trap 123 in stock form. If you want to compare a new stock mustang to some old modified vette then be my guest, but i'm not hanging around to watch.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

It didn't run that time or trap 123 in stock form. If you want to compare a new stock mustang to some old modified vette then be my guest, but i'm not hanging around to watch.
Not bashing my friend, I'm aware it's almost 8 years old but it is a NICE car that can be had for $8K less than a new S197 with under 50,000 miles and makes 513RWHP. Options, that was all I was sayin'. I am fully aware that it didn't do it stock...
Old 01-05-2008, 07:46 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Not bashing my friend, I,m aware it's almost 8 years old but it is a NICE car that can be had for $8K less that a new S197 with under 50,000 miles and makes 513RWHP. Options, that was all I was sayin'. I am fully aware that it didn't do it stock...
I thought it was $30,000, mustangs don't cost $38,000? So what did your friend do to make 513rwhp?

Quick Reply: Should I have been more impressed?