Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Strange shake....Maybe running to rich.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:30 PM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Strange shake....Maybe running to rich.

i had a similar problem to you 4 days after i bought the car, but my car was throwing codes and i didnt dare try it at WoT, but it turns out I had snapped 1 of the valve springs in the #3 cylinder, It was very noticeable though, probably not it but i figured id mention it since no one said anything
Old 01-05-2008, 09:48 AM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Hey, ya never know.. so along those lines TheLowsters, any unusual noises from the engine, such as valve ticking, etc.? The shaking of the car may indicate a cylinder(s) misfiring..
Old 01-05-2008, 03:46 PM
TheLowsters
1st Gear Member

I don't hear any strange noises, Im wondering if it could just be like the MAF or TB going bad. If there was something mechanically wrong with the engine I would think it would run strangely all the time. But its pretty normal just cruising. I could try and load the 87 tune since it has a lower octane it wouldnt be as rich.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:30 PM
TheLowsters
1st Gear Member

Well I took off the C&L, installed my K&N intake and put the stock tune back on. Seemed normal I had 1/4 91 octane so I filled the rest up with 87. Tried WOT a few times, seemed fine. The last time I did WOT I stopped to check and see if everything was ok. Idled for a bit then I got a strong fuel smell and it threw a code. P0171 sys too lean 1. I cleared the code and drove home slowly with no problems. Could this be related to the magnaflow cats or maybe my fuel filter or something?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT06GT

i had a similar problem to you 4 days after i bought the car, but my car was throwing codes and i didnt dare try it at WoT, but it turns out I had snapped 1 of the valve springs in the #3 cylinder, It was very noticeable though, probably not it but i figured id mention it since no one said anything
How do you snap a valve spring and I haven't broken anything? Was this after you brenspeed tune? Just thinking maybe you rev'd it to high. I hit 7k on a missed shift with my brenspeed tune, scared me straight. I can't get much over 6200 with the whipple before it starts killing the power.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: GT06GT

How do you snap a valve spring and I haven't broken anything? Was this after you brenspeed tune? Just thinking maybe you rev'd it to high. I hit 7k on a missed shift with my brenspeed tune, scared me straight. I can't get much over 6200 with the whipple before it starts killing the power.

Do you have your rev-limiter turned off?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:21 PM
TheLowsters
1st Gear Member

Since there was a fire Im hoping my MAF just got messed up/Dirty. The code wasn't triggered just cruising around. Do you think my dealership will give me a hard time about the x-pipe and magnaflow catts? They didnt mind my pullies and K&N when I had those on and went in for some work.