Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Strange shake....Maybe running to rich.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:32 PM
TheLowsters
1st Gear Member

Default Strange shake....Maybe running to rich.

I have an 06GT auto with a 91 octane brenspeed tune. I live in southern california and some of you may know that we had some really bad fires a few months ago, yellow skies, some ash in the air etc. The first day it was bad I was getting off the freeway and as I came to a stop maybe from 5 mph to 0mph the car started to shake, no noises but you could feel the seat shake and there was a strong gasoline smell. When you start to accelerate again it goes away. It keept doing it sometimes when coming to a stop but not every time, random occurance. So after the fires were over I replaced the C&L Filter, Cleaned the MAF with CRC cleaner as well as the TB. The TB had been cleaned before but this time it was dirtier. My car only has 18k miles. That seamed to help a lot, when I would just putt around town it doesnt happen BUT if get on it pedal to the floor, accelerates fine/bat outta hell. But when slowing down, starts shaking/smelling from 5mph to Omph. Idle sounds a little gurglier, but the smell is definiatly coming out the back from the pipes. I have Magnaflow hi flow cats and SLP loudmouths but they didnt smell before this happend. Im not getting any engine codes or lights, everything else is fine. If I turn off the car and restart its fine again or if I just keep driving it goes away. Any ideas, should I just put on my K&N intake and try the stock tune?
Old 01-04-2008, 07:57 PM
TheLowsters
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Strange shake....Maybe running to rich.

Any ideas?
Old 01-04-2008, 08:09 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Dude, that is a weird one.. well, if it were me, I'd return to stock tune and the stock airbox - that would at least elimate something with the tune going wacky or the CAI.

On first pass it sounds like a fuel delivery or timing issue, but I'm also curious as to why you think that the fires may have played a factor? Was the air so bad it was choking the engine? Any chance you had any burning materials stuck under the car? You do say you get a strong fuel smell, perhaps there's a slight fuel leak?
Old 01-04-2008, 08:12 PM
TheLowsters
1st Gear Member

I attributed it to the fires just because it started the very first day the smoke/haze from the fires came into my area.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:16 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I can't think of reason that the fire would be a factor, then. Try the stock tune and airbox like I suggested and see what that gets you -
Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

I just reread your post - have you tried just reloading your current tune?
Old 01-04-2008, 08:19 PM
TheLowsters
1st Gear Member

I did before I cleaned the TB, But I didnt after, I could try that.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:22 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Maybe try that first - I noticed you have exhaust mods too, so I don't know how easy it is going to be for you to return the car completely back to stock so the factory tune will play nice. It may not be an issue, though - I'm not sure..
Old 01-04-2008, 08:24 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Additionally, you could always email Brenspeed and see if they have suggestions..
Old 01-04-2008, 08:27 PM
TheLowsters
1st Gear Member

I e-mailed brenspeed, waiting for reply. Well the magnaflow x pipe with there hi-flow cats is a packaged system designed for the Mustang, so it should be ok.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange shake....Maybe running to rich.