Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple/BAP question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 AM
Gonzo71
1st Gear Member

Default Whipple/BAP question

Anybody using just a BAP instead of replacing the stock fuel pump with the Whipple HO? Also, how difficult would it be to get the valve/cam covers finished to match the black crinkle finish on the Whipple?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Default RE: Whipple/BAP question

ORIGINAL: Gonzo71

Anybody using just a BAP instead of replacing the stock fuel pump with the Whipple HO? Also, how difficult would it be to get the valve/cam covers finished to match the black crinkle finish on the Whipple?
Are you wanting to know if its better to use the stock single pump with a BAP rather then the GT500 fuel system that has dual pumps and drivers?

If that's what your asking no. The BAP and single pump is way less efficient and reliable and if it were me I would definitely rely on that as my cars fuel system for a HO Whipple. There's a reason the GT500 and the 03-04 Cobra came with dual pumps. It's also the same reason that they didn't come with a single pump and a BAP. Efficiency and reliability.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Jared
Old 01-08-2008, 09:49 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

this guy did it and it would look great with
a black whipple sitting on top....

Also, how difficult would it be to get the valve/cam covers finished to match the black crinkle finish on the Whipple?

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/1FECF0938AC347BAB57318A283FB731D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Reminisce
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

this guy did it and it would look great with
a black whipple sitting on top....

Also, how difficult would it be to get the valve/cam covers finished to match the black crinkle finish on the Whipple?

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/1FECF0938AC347BAB57318A283FB731D.jpg[/IMG]
Thats sexy!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Gonzo71
1st Gear Member

Jared, you can't really be suggesting thattwo pumps are better than one . I was just wondering, because the KB site makes it seem that the limiting factor would be the 39# injectors before the BAP. I was thinking that if my HP goals didn't exceed the injectors, that dual pumps may be overkill and that the BAP might be a more simple option. Do the dual pumps act as a redundant system in case one fails, or are they wired together into a single system that just increases fuel delivery? Is the dual pump setup what is included with the Whipple HO kit? The original vendor that I contacted hasn'treplied, so I'llPM you about availability.

Hammeron, that is exactly what I am looking for; anybody know where to get this done?
Old 01-08-2008, 01:59 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Gonzo, i'm just gonna throw this in there....

yes you might be able to get by, but my
recommendation is to not cut corners, when
it comes to your fuel pressure.

you don't want to be going WOT one day
and suddenly loose fuel rail pressure

get the complete HO kit from Jared and
you'll be a happy camper, for the long haul

Old 01-08-2008, 02:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The whipple HO comes with the gt500 dual pumps, wiring harness and second fpdm. It's very simple to install.

Jared, you can't really be suggesting thattwo pumps are better than one . I was just wondering, because the KB site makes it seem that the limiting factor would be the 39# injectors before the BAP. I was thinking that if my HP goals didn't exceed the injectors, that dual pumps may be overkill and that the BAP might be a more simple option. Do the dual pumps act as a redundant system in case one fails, or are they wired together into a single system that just increases fuel delivery? Is the dual pump setup what is included with the Whipple HO kit? The original vendor that I contacted hasn'treplied, so I'llPM you about availability.

Hammeron, that is exactly what I am looking for; anybody know where to get this done?
Old 01-09-2008, 01:51 AM
Gonzo71
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys.Just PM'd Jared last night about getting the kit from LP. I'll already be in central FL in early Feb, so hopefully I can make a short detour to get it installed then. It would be the perfect before and after test as it is a 7 hour driveeach way. Anybody know if the dual pump system acts as a redunant system?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:31 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

allthough i don't believe redundancy is the
objective, they may in fact perform that way

in other words, each pump has it's own driver
module. i believe if one FPDM or pump fails, the
other (set) would still be operating.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

The GT500 system that comes with the Whipple HO kit is a very efficient system. It has dual pumps and dual FPDMs. Each FPDM runs a pump taking load off of of the module and lowering duty cycles.

In no way shape or form would I suggest putting a Whipple at 10psi on any car with just a single stock pump and a voltage booster. Just like Hammeron said it could be done but I highly suggest not doing so. When you buy the HO kit with the GT500 system the cost of the GT500 fuel system is way cheaper than if you bought it separately so it's a bargain to get it at the time you purchase the blower. Don't risk your motor by trying to save bit or underestimating what you need for fuel. Fuel systems are vital in preventing failures. Let me know if you have any other questions as you know I'm here to help. Thanks, Jared