Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

End of the V-8? Ford bets on direct injection and turbos

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: End of the V-8? Ford bets on direct injection and turbos

Geez... 4.6 liter (281 ci) is what we're laughingly referring to as a "big" V8 now?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:59 PM
ohskigod
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joshetc

If I want a super fast stock car I'll buy a z06. I bought my Mustang so I could make it much faster at a great value withoutswapping the engine or running 30lbs of boost.
I don't know man, there's a big difference in price between the Z06 and the Stang. i feel your point on modability being a big fun factor for the Stang though.and I say this as someone who has dont nothing more than an axle back exhaust so far

mods will come in due time.

If any stang has alot of performance for the money, it will still be a viable product. the vast aftermarket for our crs will find a way to adapt to whatever ford throws out. I'm not gonna panic just yet
Old 01-08-2008, 01:16 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RedGTyl

I love how a small minority of eviromentalist wackos can control an entire country.[:@] There is something wrong with this world. Too bad Ford has to sell out it's good old american buyer to conform to this green fad. I know there are new laws coming into effect thanks to that *** bag Bush who claims to be an Republican. A real Conservative would have vetoed that energy bill. I still think Ford, Chevy, and Dodge should fight this energy bill in court. Not just lay down like a bunch of pansies. Thats how the eviromentalists get what they want. They just keeping suing untill they get their way.

Unfortunately for enthusiasts like us, most people are uninformed and ignorant so they are believing all this green propaganda. Someone needs to step up or our beloved muscle cars will be a thing or the past. God help us.

PS- suoperdave84, your car looks sick!
Thanks for the compliment RedGTyl. Wait till you see the hood I am getting for it. Tufiber Venom.

And I see you are fed up with Bush as well (but not for the usual reasons). I appreciate his strength when it comes to the middle east but this energy bill and a few other things have got me pulling my hair out. He's got a lot of people hating the Right and I believe that the hatred for him here in Maryland is what got us our Communist Governor Martin O'Malley. Talk about rage. I can't stand this blue state anymore.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:23 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fourth Horseman

Geez... 4.6 liter (281 ci) is what we're laughingly referring to as a "big" V8 now?

Times change.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

ORIGINAL: Black05StangGT

I'm not completely sold on direct injection because I don't believe its actually been perfected enough yet...The mazdaspeed 6 I used to have was DI and it had serious tuning problems even from the factory...the car ran rich ALL the time and I saw really crappy fuel economy...
I think that is why they said it will be like 5 years before they will use it widely.. If they are smart they will perfect it before any car is sold to the consumer.

I really don't have a problem with it.. what if they make a v8 version of this? amazing power. probably for the cobras.. v6 for gt, 4cyl for regular.. I have no problem with that as long as power is Atleast as good as it is now.. and preferably even better.. I didn't buy this car just for the V8.. I would have bought a turbo'd v6 or maybe even an Sti if it looked anywhere near as good as our cars do, or if it had the same kind of value as ours do (you could easily spend an extra 10k for a 350z or an STi for same hp/features, plus, not look as good)
Old 01-08-2008, 01:43 PM
ShadowWulf
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dferkler

It produces better torque curves than diesels.
[/align]And it's a substitute for cubic inches.
OH SNAP! He said replacement for displacement!!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:55 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cubs17

Damn treehuggers
Well said. We are the only things on this planet that matter.

All this for 2mpg? Seems like a waste of time to me.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: Cubs17

Damn treehuggers
Well said. We are the only things on this planet that matter.

All this for 2mpg? Seems like a waste of time to me.
I agree, for only 2mpg it would not be worth it... I hope its more like 10mpg.. or its a waste of their money.. and power is power.. who here wouldn't wantto trade their stock gt for a supra eventhough itsnot a v8? ifall you care about ishow many cyl. you have... then... somethingisn't right with you... looks + speed.. isn't that most important?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

Every manufacturer is being affected by these stricter mpg raitings...the Corvette will soon be scaled back and make less power because of these restrictions...Ford's australian market already sees pretty fast turbo V6's with the Ford brandingthat are competing with Holden and their GTO/V8 cars...I guess it was only a matter of time when Ford would make the switch...Also to say that the boosted cars are already at their limits peformance wise is a farse...this should not be a blanket statement...every car has limitations regardless of how much power is being pushed by the manufacturer...I've seen plenty ofboosted cars push well beyond what the factory was getting fromt them...i.e. 03/04 cobra or the GT500...hopefully when ford makes this move they will build the engines strong like they did for the Cobra and GT500 and people will make awesome power...if I am not mistaken even some of the stock evo motors could crank some serious power before problems would arise...
Old 01-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

I would say speed + looks, but yes I agree for the most part

Quick Reply: End of the V-8? Ford bets on direct injection and turbos