Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

typical to installation cost for s/c

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:06 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default RE: typical to installation cost for s/c

ORIGINAL: tlpvt
the 400 from ford comes with 1yr warranty on s/c AND keeps the complete car warranty
the 500 has no warranty on s/cand voids car's warranty, as i understand[:-]
the stang is my DD so warranty is important to me
and 400=>500 is easily upgradeable (2k$ though [:@]) so i fugure when the warranty is used up andthe 400hp(crank) will severely limit my driving enjoyment, i will upgrade (and will _not_ be itching to get a camaro/challenger few years from now[&:])[sm=guilty.gif]
Well that is true that if you buy the 400 hp version you get the 1 year warranty on the drivetrain. But to me if something broke I would want to replace it with something aftermarket that wont break. I would be interested to know what they would charge for an install. Plus they would probably charge you MSRP on the blower.

As far as the 500hp kit goes it is true that would probably void your powertrain warranty, but like I said something breaks something better would be installed. The cars warranty can never be voided for any performance part. I wont go into alot of depth but it is basically the Magnuson Act (sp?). Basically the dealer has to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure. So if you window your block with a S/C they wont fix it, but if your power windows break they have to fix that. S/C can only hurt your powertrain everything else has to be covered. If you search on it you can find a bunch of info.

A long read but check this out from MM&FF

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...nty/index.html

Old 01-10-2008, 11:08 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: hammeron

hey thanks for asking

yes, i did my own whipple HO kit install
in the comfort of my garage. i took 8
days to do it, because i'm a network
guy not a mechanic

yes, after i bolted it on, i flashed my PCM
with the FRPP supplied tune and have been
running it for almost 8 months now....

this kit on a mustang dyno made 411 rwhp 417 ft/lbs
with the 91 oct tune and 10psi pulley....

good luck and i hope you get your whipple

A network guy installing his own blower.. And here I thought I was gonna have the honor of being the first one of those to do so next week.. :-(

LOL
Old 01-10-2008, 11:26 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

oh i'm sure there have been a few more
than just you and me....

which s/c are you installing

ORIGINAL: exx1976

A network guy installing his own blower.. And here I thought I was gonna have the honor of being the first one of those to do so next week.. :-(

LOL
Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

SC install was a $1000 including tune and dyno.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:27 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

the 400 from ford comes with 1yr warranty on s/c AND keeps the complete car warranty
the 500 has no warranty on s/cand voids car's warranty, as i understand[:-]
the stang is my DD so warranty is important to me
and 400=&gt;500 is easily upgradeable (2k$ though [:@]) so i fugure when the warranty is used up andthe 400hp(crank) will severely limit my driving enjoyment, i will upgrade (and will _not_ be itching to get a camaro/challenger few years from now[&:])[sm=guilty.gif]

Does the 400 only keep warranty if Ford installs it? What if I do it or some shop? I don't mind Ford doing it if the install was no more than about 1K.

The 500 is only $1K more than the 400 on Ford Racing's website, does it really cost 2K if you upgrade it to 500 later? I would have figured that most of that extra cost going to the 500 is the GT500 fuel pump.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:21 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

you could do that kit on a weekend,
no sweat.

check the internet for best pricing....there
is also a ford dealer who sells this kit at a
discount....
you mean to to the bolt-ons myself and then justflash the out-ofthe-box tune that comes with s/c and no custom dynotuning?
is that how your whipple was done?
That's how mine was done, been hammering on it ever since. Maybe my name should be hammeron.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:27 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SirKnightTG

Does the 400 only keep warranty if Ford installs it? What if I do it or some shop? I don't mind Ford doing it if the install was no more than about 1K.

The 500 is only $1K more than the 400 on Ford Racing's website, does it really cost 2K if you upgrade it to 500 later? I would have figured that most of that extra cost going to the 500 is the GT500 fuel pump.
I would not waste my time with a supercharger if you need to keep the warranty. All superchargers that keep a warranty have to be installed by a licensed dealer.

The gt500 fuel pumps are $700, the rest of the cost is from the intercooler, heat exchanger, pump, pulley and I believe they send you another tuner with new tune. You get a nice discount by buying the HO kit in the first place.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:17 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

that's good stuff right there!

ORIGINAL: moosestang

you mean to to the bolt-ons myself and then justflash the out-ofthe-box tune that comes with s/c and no custom dynotuning?
is that how your whipple was done?
That's how mine was done, been hammering on it ever since. Maybe my name should be hammeron.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:52 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: SirKnightTG

I would not waste my time with a supercharger if you need to keep the warranty. All superchargers that keep a warranty have to be installed by a licensed dealer.

The gt500 fuel pumps are $700, the rest of the cost is from the intercooler, heat exchanger, pump, pulley and I believe they send you another tuner with new tune. You get a nice discount by buying the HO kit in the first place.
Yup what he said.

If it were me and I wanted low boost I would get the HO sell the fuel pumps buy the 6 psi pulley and email tune from VMP and be done with it. Intercooling is good. Trust me I wanted to go non-intercooled for the longest time and every shop I called said not to do it. Justin at VMP recommended the above route. Personally I ended up doing the HO and will run it at 8psi. I am expecting approximately 420rwhp give or take. I am not addicted to dyno numbers, I just want acceleration.

I figure my car is making about 280ish rwhp right now so anything over 400ish rwhp is 120+ more than I have now. I think I will notice it . Plus 10psi is a pulley swap away for when I get bored.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:17 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

If you buy the whipple or saleen s/cfrom us at Hardcore Mustangs, we will install if for only $500

Quick Reply: typical to installation cost for s/c