Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Running Too Lean?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:35 PM
ADudeInNewJersey
3rd Gear Member

Default Running Too Lean?!

Hey everyone.. I have a simple Question.... What happens if my car runs too lean... Let me explain something.... I went to the track awhile back and I moved up the spark advance 2 degrees I think I might of went 3 (not sure) Anyways, I forgot to change it after the track and ever since that I get the Trouble Code P0171.... I spoke to Doug about getting the tune adjusted and he did... but it came out again... He said he made it a bit more richer... however I still get the Trouble Code.... My engine seems more raspier now and my friends tell me that my car sounds different now a lil bit weaker... The idle is a tiny bit rougher... I feel as if my Engine is damaged... Is there any damage to my motor? Do I need a new motor? Im about to cry!

ok so it was more than one simple question Thanks everyone!

-John
Old 01-08-2008, 06:09 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Running Too Lean?!

If anything, you probably melted a spark plug with the super hot temperatures. If you feel a dramatic difference I would put some colder plugs in there just incase, and make sure not to play with the tuner too much...Unless you have instructions from your dealer
Old 01-08-2008, 06:25 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Put the ecu back to stock and drive it around. Might be your tunes all messed up
Old 01-08-2008, 06:26 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

You should be fine. Relax. It could all be in your head. But definitely check out those plugs..
Old 01-08-2008, 06:37 PM
ADudeInNewJersey
3rd Gear Member

After I clear the trouble code.... The Check engine light comes on 20-30 mins later after a couple of WOT

-John
Old 01-08-2008, 06:44 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

instead of clearing the code, the next time it comes on try reflashing the tune and retest it.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

check to make sure your intake is on correctly and no air is leaking past the MAF. Check all vacuum lines and it wouldn't hurt to clean the MAF sensor with some brake cleaner. the fact you advanced the timing could be a coincidence. Definately check your spark plugs, but if you have a lot of miles on the car then be careful when removing them.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:12 PM
ADudeInNewJersey
3rd Gear Member

just hit 31,000miles on it.... I reflashed it... Still came up after a short while... Im gonna try the spark plug change... I hope that will help.. When you say clean the MAF... Are you talking about the achually sensor I had to screw on the CAI? And does the break-cleaner ruin the sensor? (Im just a nervous wreck thinking my motor is gonna die out on me) I hate asking newbie questions... I feel like I jsut bought the car..

-John
Old 01-08-2008, 07:14 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Wow... sounds like your framastat is out of whack, and that you may have melted your muffler bearings clean out of the inducers... Looks like your gonna hafta sell the stang to a dogfood factory...

Seriously... Start with the plugs. Chances are you were running at the threshold of detonation when ya bumped your timing up and ya may have screwed up a plug. Next, move to the MAF and clean it... After that, I would ask Doug to put a little more fuel to the engine.

Stop worrying about hurting your motor. If you hurt your motor from too much timing, you would certainly know it... lots of smoke, a serious drop in power, a piston rod thru the block... something. A slightly rough idle can be anything from a tank of crappy gas, changes in air temp, or even a placebo effect because your looking for something to be wrong.

...and next time, think before you decide to add more timing to a tune that is likely already running as much timing as will make power...
Old 01-08-2008, 07:26 PM
ADudeInNewJersey
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

Wow... sounds like your framastat is out of whack, and that you may have melted your muffler bearings clean out of the inducers... Looks like your gonna hafta sell the stang to a dogfood factory...

Seriously... Start with the plugs. Chances are you were running at the threshold of detonation when ya bumped your timing up and ya may have screwed up a plug. Next, move to the MAF and clean it... After that, I would ask Doug to put a little more fuel to the engine.

Stop worrying about hurting your motor. If you hurt your motor from too much timing, you would certainly know it... lots of smoke, a serious drop in power, a piston rod thru the block... something. A slightly rough idle can be anything from a tank of crappy gas, changes in air temp, or even a placebo effect because your looking for something to be wrong.

...and next time, think before you decide to add more timing to a tune that is likely already running as much timing as will make power...
IM SORRY!!!! []

ps. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Running Too Lean?!