Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang newb's first mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 03:05 PM
ohskigod
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang newb's first mods

As my Stang languishes in the garage, I have been contemplating what to do to it. I said from the beginning that i wanted to upgrade handling/suspension before any power mods, since I place more importance on how the car feels to me over how fast and impressive it is to others (not a dig to anyone of course,it's just me)

I'm gonna go with the Saleen Watts link suspension. Yes, I know its pricey, but it seems I cant find anyone who has put it on and regretted it.Seems it stops the car's desire to skip sideways in bumps and peel outs, which is a huge plus for me. This also seems to be a wise move if I ever take the car out on a road course, whichis something I'd like to do in the future.

Second, I'm going to go with the 3.73 gears.I currently have 3.31's. while I do like how it cruises on the highway, I know a gear swap will really wake things up, but I'm not going to go with the 4.10 as it might be overkill for my tastes.

I plan on takin git to JDM in Jersey, since i cant seem to find to many people that dont find it to be a respectable establishment. Also, I am not the most mechanically inclined person in the planet. I'll put it this way, if lives depended on me doing it myself, I am sure hell or high water I could do it. Thing is, I want to make sure it is done right, so I'm paying for installation

no questions, just throwin it out there for feedback.I'm sure some will thing I;m crazy for not even doing an intake and tune, but I'm in no rush. i can do that anytime, and do that myself and to be honest, I;m not starvin for more power yet. Of course, I barely have 2000 miles on the car so far (bought it on 8/30/07)
Old 01-09-2008, 03:32 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang newb's first mods

Be careful with the Saleen Watts link. There was a recall on it not long ago (like within the past few months). There are a few others I'd looks at - Fays2, Lakewood, Griggs, just to name a few. Griggs is my personal favorite (in research only, I don't currently have a watts link).

Gears? Are you a stick or an auto? If auto, 3.73:1 would be good, otherwise 4.10:1 would be good.

All of this aside - the FIRST thing you need to do is get a new CAI and a tune. As many on here have said before, it's "Mustang 101". I have the Steeda CAI and 93 octane tune from Brenspeed, and couldn't be happier. Install time was < 30 minutes, and was so straightforward that if you know how to work a screwdriver, you're hooked. No ****.

Enjoy!!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang newb's first mods

What about the Front end? You didn't mention your plans for it. Also, I'd recommend you call Sam Strano and talk to him regards your Watt Link idea. He is a forum sponsor and a champion Solo racer, he will give you the straight poop on it and whether or not its a smart move (http://www.stranoparts.com/).

I have 4.10s, there cool but I'd probably be just as happy with 3.73s

I've heard JDM is a great place also.