Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

problems filling gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:50 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default RE: problems filling gas tank?

Seeing that you live on a dirt road I would say that the vent line is the cuplprit.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:53 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

I have the same problem at a couple different gas stations. The pump would shut off constantly or I'd have to fill up manually inssaaaneeely slow. One of the gas stations got new pumps though..and I havn't had the problem since.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:35 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well what I believe to be the vent hose has a sensor/vavle on it just before it goes into the canister under the trunk. Anyone know what that thing does? It must open when the car is off and close when it's running.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:10 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Moose there should be a filter coming off the vent hose that comes off the fuel tank remove it from the tank and where it connect on the cannister and then clean it out with compressed air. I know I saw a thread on one of the forums but cannot for the life of me locate it to post up here.

I know if your gas station recently changed there pumps it could also be a issue. I have been going to one gas station for the last 1.5 years to fill the car up and never had one problem. Well about one month ago they changed the nozzles on all their pumps. So i pull in run the CC, pull the trigger and click then again click click click. So i got about 50 cents worth of gas stopped pumping move to another pump same thing. Moved again same thing I spent about 1.93 at three pumps ended up going to another station and filled it first time. So nozzles do matter.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Boss919
2nd Gear Member

I tried that trick on my car and didn't have any dirt come out of it. I don't think that trick works anyway. I have noticed that if I run the car past 1/4 tank and below, it likes to click off the pump alot. But if I fill up when its in between 1/2 and 1/4 it never shuts off. I still have to pump it on the slow setting but it doesn't shut off. It's most agravating when its really cold and/or raining out and you have to fill up.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:58 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

It only happened to me twice. The first time I just moved to a different station. The second time it filled the tank almost all the way so I didn't bother with it until I needed gas again.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:01 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well I still think mine is a problem with the vent tube. I will try and get gas in a few days and let ya'll know how it goes.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:10 AM
SabreXray
1st Gear Member

My 2007 does it. Turn the handle to the side, works every time. The TSB is for 2005s, the new ones have the new tanks.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:15 AM
Narleycarley
1st Gear Member

It's the new "reduced vapor" pump nozzles, and it really effects the newer vehicles. my 07 silverado and my old 00 camaro SS were Heck trying to fill up, (i thought it was just a stupid bowtie thing) its worse than tryin to find that spot on the "old lady" =) takes a certain finesse ha ha
Old 01-14-2008, 08:55 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Narleycarley

It's the new "reduced vapor" pump nozzles, and it really effects the newer vehicles. my 07 silverado and my old 00 camaro SS were Heck trying to fill up, (i thought it was just a stupid bowtie thing) its worse than tryin to find that spot on the "old lady" =) takes a certain finesse ha ha

My 2004 Buick doesn't do it and neither does my 2006 Jeep Liberty. Just the GT.

Quick Reply: problems filling gas tank?